Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    USPS brought me a goody from Joe Bob.View attachment 156395

It's always a great day when Mr. BCM hits your porch ! :alright:
    I'm seriously upset tonight (well, not too serious) ..... but I was going to put together the final pieces of my AR10 build, and so far, I've not been able to find the charging-handle. I could have sworn that I bought one .... but it's hiding. Dagnabbit !

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    "JEBland said:
    Interesting. The only lever gun I've got is a Henry 22 but after adjusting for elevation from the box, it hits where it's pointed at squirrel range. I've thought about getting a second one and letting my old man have my current one (he's nuts about the octagon barrel)."

This pic doesn't show the octagon very well, but it's the Small Game Carbine model. I took this picture with the 17 HM2 ammo box under it, thinking I'd send it to Anthony at Henry, and get him to make a 17 HM2 model. I never did sent it ... hmmmm. This ones in 22 mag also. (a developing theme .... I like 22 magnum).
    It's a nice looking gun. I think the octagon looks nice, but does it provide much more accuracy? For the sample size of my 1 octagon 22. It's pretty accurate (I'm the biggest problem in it). I've heard a little about the 17s, but never actually fired any of them. I've got an uncle and a cousin who are both very big fans of the 22 WMR.

Looking at this: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
    I'm curious why 22" long 22 LR barrels. As least with tube fed, 20" gives a little more capacity, but it doesn't seem to add extra oopmph.

I can see the octagon profile ! :thumbsup: Now, you'll be just as good of a shooter as JEBland's father !!! ;)
    I'd wager a crisp bill of any denomination that they're both better shooters than I am. I'm a work in progress.

It's always a great day when Mr. BCM hits your porch ! :alright:
    I'm seriously upset tonight (well, not too serious) ..... but I was going to put together the final pieces of my AR10 build, and so far, I've not been able to find the charging-handle. I could have sworn that I bought one .... but it's hiding. Dagnabbit !
    What a coincidnce. I'm looking at instructions for assembling a 15 upper. The proprietariness of the AR10/AR308 stuff frustrates me.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It's a nice looking gun. I think the octagon looks nice, but does it provide much more accuracy? For the sample size of my 1 octagon 22. It's pretty accurate (I'm the biggest problem in it). I've heard a little about the 17s, but never actually fired any of them. I've got an uncle and a cousin who are both very big fans of the 22 WMR.

Looking at this: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
    I'm curious why 22" long 22 LR barrels. As least with tube fed, 20" gives a little more capacity, but it doesn't seem to add extra oopmph.

I'd wager a crisp bill of any denomination that they're both better shooters than I am. I'm a work in progress.

What a coincidnce. I'm looking at instructions for assembling a 15 upper. The proprietariness of the AR10/AR308 stuff frustrates me.

The Henry's octagon edges are not as sharp - more rounded profile, than most octagons I've seen. Hard to make them show up in pics. I don't think it adds anything to accuracy, unless the heavier profile adds rigidity.

Honestly, my Henry 22 mag was disappointing in the accuracy, with all the loads I normally shoot. When I stumbled on the 50 grain Federal load, it really came into it's own, with group size cut in half.

As to being a good shooter, we're all works in progress. And as my eyeballs get older, the progress is much harder to come by.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The Henry's octagon edges are not as sharp - more rounded profile, than most octagons I've seen. Hard to make them show up in pics. I don't think it adds anything to accuracy, unless the heavier profile adds rigidity.

Honestly, my Henry 22 mag was disappointing in the accuracy, with all the loads I normally shoot. When I stumbled on the 50 grain Federal load, it really came into it's own, with group size cut in half.
    Interesting. With the ammo shortage, my uncle asked me to pick up a single box of everything I could find. Gave him an excuse to see what his old little bolt gun likes. I believe he settled on most all of them being "good enough."

As to being a good shooter, we're all works in progress. And as my eyeballs get older, the progress is much harder to come by.
    For me, it's just difficult to take 2+ hours to go shooting midday. My old man and uncles and all grew up able to just shoot outback, even when they moved to South Jersey, they had a guy with a farm where they could shoot in what is now a popular tourist area. In 2021 suburbia, people would freak out. It's suffocating.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Finishing up the Winchesters for tonight, you see the top two are Uberti copies. The 1876 on top is chambered in 50-95, large, long and heavy it's the last toggle lock gun. Underneath it is the 1886 where Winchester finally gets the 45-70 working and John Browning begins a very successful career at Winchester. As the 1876 was a TR favorite, the 1886 was a favorite of Geronimo's.

With the great sales of the 1886 Winchester asks JB to make a smaller caliber gun to follow up on the 1873 and he brings out the 1892, another great seller that lasts to this day. Followed by the 1894 which heralds the coming of smokeless powder and the future of the lever gun in a wide variety of calibers. Like Cowincomp.jpglt Winchester was an enormously sucessful company in it's day, now sadly, long past..

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Here's an article that covers velocity vs barrel length:

Except with high velocity ammo like Velocitors length of more than 16.5 didn't make much difference. The longest barrel they tested, 24 inches, did improve accuracy.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Here's an article that covers velocity vs barrel length:

Except with high velocity ammo like Velocitors length of more than 16.5 didn't make much difference. The longest barrel they tested, 24 inches, did improve accuracy.
    It's interesting. Something I think that's noteworthy is that spread ammo-ammo seems to be on the same order of magnitude of gun-gun: https://gundigest.com/wp-content/uploads/Barrel-Length-Chart.jpg
    CZ 16" best group: 0.45"
    CZ 24" best group: 0.35"
    with worst groups being over 1" each.

To me, as a non-competitive non-benchrest shooter, this suggests that finding a barrel length that gives the most natural feel & balance is probably the main priority after finding a gun that's rimfire reliable and typically has good bench accuracy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom