• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The Henry rimfires are a great, affordable way to get into the lever gun game. I have a couple of them. Funny thing is, as great as the Winchester rimfire levers are, the Henry has the smoother action - like butter. I enjoy them all.

Interesting. The only lever gun I've got is a Henry 22 but after adjusting for elevation from the box, it hits where it's pointed at squirrel range. I've thought about getting a second one and letting my old man have my current one (he's nuts about the octagon barrel).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Early versions, the top two are Uberti repros as not only are originals expensive, but ammo, 44 Henry rim fire, is impossible to find.

The Henry starts it all on top and you can see the improvements Winchester makes with what is known as the Kings improvement on the Model 1866 in the middle. The next version is the original 1873 on the bottom.

During this time Winchester was trying without much success to chamber the government 45-70 which doesn't fit the Henry style of toggle lock action very well. They try by scaling up the 1873 into the behemoth Model 1876 Centennial Rifle and while it still doesn't fit the 45-70, Winchester releases more monster cartridges that it does fit like the 45-60, 45-75 and 50-95. TR used this rather uncommon rifle as well. Rare and expensive in original, Uberti made some repros that can be picked up more reasonably and aren't tied to BP ammunition.

Past this point, John Browning takes over with tView attachment 156358he revolutionary Model 1886.
    Leadeye, have you ever considered writing a book? You could do several tracing the lineage of firearms through history. With the collection you maintain, it could make for some great reading given the pics you could produce pointing out differences in technology as it evolved

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Interesting. The only lever gun I've got is a Henry 22 but after adjusting for elevation from the box, it hits where it's pointed at squirrel range. I've thought about getting a second one and letting my old man have my current one (he's nuts about the octagon barrel).
    My only lever gun is a Henry rimfire and it is a nice rifle

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Leadeye, have you ever considered writing a book? You could do several tracing the lineage of firearms through history. With the collection you maintain, it could make for some great reading given the pics you could produce pointing out differences in technology as it evolved
    That would be cool. I'd be first in line to get a signed copy.:)

I need to pull out my Dad's Henry .357 and put up a pic. That rifle is sweet.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Mind sharing what rings those are? Looking for some lower than current lineup

I'll have to look. Been a couple decades. They're sitting on a Weaver T-10 adapter (dovetail to Weaver) to get more eye relief. Probably Burris or Warne Weaver-style rings. I do try to stay as low as possible.

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

All of us refined gunslingers are ! ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Guns and shooting are really just recreation to me, finding out their stories can be as much fun as shooting them like the Lightning from WCC, or Mr. Cokers Whitney revolver. Having dug up that info I share it here at INGO for those that are interested.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Well, he is a better shot than I am.

Got a rabbit that took up in my front yard. Devastated my leaf lettuce.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Guns and shooting are really just recreation to me, finding out their stories can be as much fun as shooting them like the Lightning from WCC, or Mr. Cokers Whitney revolver. Having dug up that info I share it here at INGO for those that are interested.
    It's always very educational to read your posts. I don't have anything to add to them, but I appreciate the content.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Henry rifles are excellent rifles, but share more lineage with modern levers that the old Henry. When you shoot an original design Henry wear gloves. You will know why the King's improvement leading to the 1866 was so popular.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    "JEBland said:
    Interesting. The only lever gun I've got is a Henry 22 but after adjusting for elevation from the box, it hits where it's pointed at squirrel range. I've thought about getting a second one and letting my old man have my current one (he's nuts about the octagon barrel)."

This pic doesn't show the octagon very well, but it's the Small Game Carbine model. I took this picture with the 17 HM2 ammo box under it, thinking I'd send it to Anthony at Henry, and get him to make a 17 HM2 model. I never did sent it ... hmmmm. This ones in 22 mag also. (a developing theme .... I like 22 magnum).

20160626_133234.jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Got my first shingles shot this morning.

I know a few people that have had shingles and I want nothing to do with that!!
    The first shingles shot had no effect on me ... the second one took me down for a day ... started as just a lackadaisical type of day, but by the time I got home I was visibly shaking ... went to bed early just to be hit with full on fever and sweats ... felt like I was in a swimming pool, not my bed. It all ended around midnight ... changed my clothes and bed sheets and went back to sleep.

The Covid shots on the other hand were a complete bust ... the only pain I experienced was when I poked at the injection site ... I felt ripped off after hearing all the stories about reactions to the Covid shots. Maybe something will happen when they roll out the Covid booster shots.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    "JEBland said:
    Interesting. The only lever gun I've got is a Henry 22 but after adjusting for elevation from the box, it hits where it's pointed at squirrel range. I've thought about getting a second one and letting my old man have my current one (he's nuts about the octagon barrel)."

This pic doesn't show the octagon very well, but it's the Small Game Carbine model. I took this picture with the 17 HM2 ammo box under it, thinking I'd send it to Anthony at Henry, and get him to make a 17 HM2 model. I never did sent it ... hmmmm. This ones in 22 mag also. (a developing theme .... I like 22 magnum).

View attachment 156397

I can see the octagon profile ! :thumbsup: Now, you'll be just as good of a shooter as JEBland's father !!! ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom