Not open for further replies.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    BTW, I am done shooting until this whole process is over and the fog is completely cleared. I had an "incident" at the range the other evening that scared me. No one else noticed it and it was, thankfully, not unsafe as the gun was, as always pointed down range. But what my mind should have recognized and would normally have without conscious thought it did not. I shot a string, counting in my head as always, and reached what I thought was the end. I had shot the last several rounds in SA but wanted to do a dry pull on DA before I put the gun down. My brain did not acknowledge that the slide did not lock back on the last round and that the gun was in battery. Of course this means either it didn't lock back for some reason on the last round or...it wasn't the last round. This is a no brainer, right? Well, apparently I am now working with no brain as it didn't even register. So, pointing the gun down range, I squeezed off what I thought would be a dry fire DA pull and, of course, BANG. I was momentarily startled and then scared. I put it down and was done shooting.

1. Processing what happened will be a real heads-up and warning to all of us that we have to be totally focused at all times. The fact that you were counting your rounds, and even didn't grasp what the slide not sticking back on that last round in definitely an outlier for you.
    2. Very scary, with your background and experience that you could be caught off guard like that: thanks for having the courage to tell us! :thumbsup:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    1. Processing what happened will be a real heads-up and warning to all of us that we have to be totally focused at all times. The fact that you were counting your rounds, and even didn't grasp what the slide not sticking back on that last round in definitely an outlier for you.
    2. Very scary, with your background and experience that you could be caught off guard like that: thanks for having the courage to tell us! :thumbsup:
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. I am working with chemo brain, it is real.
    My first inclination is to stop shooting until this is over, one way or another. But, I just might be able to if I use the Wizard as an attentive shooting buddy. I haven't decided yet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

BA, for the record, the guns that I have that passed through your hands are two P09s in .40, one P07 in 9mm and Bill, the full size 75B in .40. One P09, the P07 and Bill are stellar pieces. You are welcome to shoot any of those whenever you are up to it. If I can't make it north, I'll try to engage the pants less highway to get them to you for an outing.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

BA, for the record, the guns that I have that passed through your hands are two P09s in .40, one P07 in 9mm and Bill, the full size 75B in .40. One P09, the P07 and Bill are stellar pieces. You are welcome to shoot any of those whenever you are up to it. If I can't make it north, I'll try to engage the pants less highway to get them to you for an outing.

Thank you, my friend. I like the name Bill for the fotay. Is there a back story? BTW, Bill is, hands down, the best fotay I have ever shot. If after I get back on my feet you ever decide to part with it I hope you will remember to let me know.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Morning Tim!

BTW BA, same goes here. The only gun I have that came from you is my 75 compact, but I'll make sure to bring it to any shoot where you'll be at. If you get missing it too much, I'll drive up and meet you at AB and let you have some visitation time with it :D

I know you said you need to get past chemo brain first, but any time you're up to it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Morning Tim!

BTW BA, same goes here. The only gun I have that came from you is my 75 compact, but I'll make sure to bring it to any shoot where you'll be at. If you get missing it too much, I'll drive up and meet you at AB and let you have some visitation time with it :D

I know you said you need to get past chemo brain first, but any time you're up to it.

Thank you, that's very kind of you. Your compact is in a class of it's own. The SA trigger on that is ridiculous...and fantastic.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Any time sir. I very much agree with you about the gun. It's easily the nicest gun in my little collection... :cool:

That straight SAO trigger on a compact is somewhat unique and fits it to a T. Everyone should give that one a go if they have the chance.

That gun easily falls within the top ten CZs I have ever shot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That straight SAO trigger on a compact is somewhat unique and fits it to a T. Everyone should give that one a go if they have the chance.

That gun easily falls within the top ten CZs I have ever shot.

It's the one I bring to every group event, no matter what. It's a forever gun for me, but as previously discussed, if anything ever happens that I have to sell all of my guns, it will be the last to go and it'll go back to either you or the Wizard ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's the one I bring to every group event, no matter what. It's a forever gun for me, but as previously discussed, if anything ever happens that I have to sell all of my guns, it will be the last to go and it'll go back to either you or the Wizard ;)

Let's hope that never happens. It sucks, let me tell you.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    BA, I hope you are able to get back to 100% in the near future!

I've been dry firing the Phantom and I'm up to 1700 rounds. I have to say that I'm seeing a lot of difference in the DA, it's amazing! The SA is better too, but it was already good at the beginning. I may just end up putting the short reset in it and changing out for a race hammer. I like the look of the race hammer.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    BA, I hope you are able to get back to 100% in the near future!

I've been dry firing the Phantom and I'm up to 1700 rounds. I have to say that I'm seeing a lot of difference in the DA, it's amazing! The SA is better too, but it was already good at the beginning. I may just end up putting the short reset in it and changing out for a race hammer. I like the look of the race hammer.

Thank you, sir.
    I recommend that you consult with the Wizard before doing partial upgrades.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. I am working with chemo brain, it is real.
    My first inclination is to stop shooting until this is over, one way or another. But, I just might be able to if I use the Wizard as an attentive shooting buddy. I haven't decided yet.

1. Wow! That makes my hip replacement seem like a headache.
    2. You are really dealing with serious serious health issues.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    1. Wow! That makes my hip replacement seem like a headache.
    2. You are really dealing with serious serious health issues.

No, what you're going through is nothing to sneeze at. They are both serious health issues. Mine is currently thought to be preventative only. What I had has been removed. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom