Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm just giving you some things to think about. I just don't want you to think that the weight of a gun = accuracy. I know that you like your shield and can shoot it well, and it's not heavy. Also, don't get in a hurry. Force yourself to slow down if what you are looking for is accuracy. Do what BA suggested and shoot DA only for a little while. One of the best things that has helped me is the dry firing. Get used to pulling that trigger and the gun not moving, and if it does move then figure out what you're doing to move it. When you get to the range then do it exactly like you practiced at home. Like the saying goes "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect!"

Good post! I agree, one of the biggest mistakes I see of new or inexperienced shooters is shooting too fast. I always tell them, slow down and make sure you have all of your technique down and breathing, grip, stance and such. Then when you feel confident that everything is being done correctly and your accuracy is good, slowly start speeding up until you're where you want to be. I'd rather shoot slower and get hits than to shoot fast and miss ;)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The RAMI shoots like a much bigger gun. When deciding what to carry I rank shootability first. I can figure everything else out later. If you're not taking what you need to win I'm not sure what the point of carrying is.

I'm next-of-kin to a Gila monster, and can drink my weight in wolf's blood !
    If I'm carrying it, I can run it. :chuck:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm just giving you some things to think about.

1. I appreciate your input, I've learned so much from the guys here, and especially when I have met them at the range, and they see what I'm doing. :thumbsup:

I just don't want you to think that the weight of a gun = accuracy.

2. I have probably got the two correlated, but my experience with my FNS (polymer) that can beat my heavier CZ 75 some of the time points to what you're saying.

I know that you like your shield and can shoot it well, and it's not heavy. Also, don't get in a hurry.

3. It seems like it's been awhile since I've shot the Shield since I've been concentrating on other 9mms lately, and frankly, I don't remember how it measures up to the CZ 75 or FNS.
    4. I do get in a hurry, especially if I have an "outlier," then I want to quickly get back "inside" the circle, but today when that happened I actually slowed down for the next shot.

Force yourself to slow down if what you are looking for is accuracy. Do what BA suggested and shoot DA only for a little while.

5. I read that about the DA and thought, "What?" I wish I'd tried that today (yesterday was .22LR revolver day, today was 9mm day and tomorrow I wanted some .22LR semi-auto time).

One of the best things that has helped me is the dry firing.

6. Dry firing was a real eye-opener for my during some Basic Handgun Training last Saturday: I couldn't believe how much I was "jerking" the trigger.
    7. Today I really tried to slooowly pull the trigger so when it went off it was a "surprise."

Get used to pulling that trigger and the gun not moving, and if it does move then figure out what you're doing to move it.

8. Point made and I will do!

When you get to the range then do it exactly like you practiced at home.
    Like the saying goes "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect!"

9. :thumbsup: Thanks again for taking the time: much appreciated!
    10. I only have exactly 3 weeks left and my leisure is over and school starts again, but I hope to go at least once a week to the range, and really twice.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I stopped in my LGS today and picked up another FN (FNS fullsize 9mm) and fondled several CZ's. First off, the PCR they had is gone. I did get hands on a suppressor ready urban grey 75B Omega. Trigger felt good stock, but not something I'm looking for currently.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I stopped in my LGS today and picked up another FN (FNS fullsize 9mm) and fondled several CZ's. First off, the PCR they had is gone. I did get hands on a suppressor ready urban grey 75B Omega. Trigger felt good stock, but not something I'm looking for currently.
    Everybody needs a suppressor gun, or 10.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You should have waited for the FNS. Odds are Doddg will be selling one soon. :D
    I already told him I wanted that Bronze one, he forgot about me. :(
    The one he has now is a longslide, not what I want. I like compact or "commander" size guns. Fullsize grip and 4" barrel is where it's at for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom