Not open for further replies.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My apologies. I forget that not everyone has a lot of mags. I also hate loading mags at the range. I also hate doing mental gymnastics at the range. That's another reason I only load 10 rounds. If I bring x number of mags it's easy to figure out how many rounds I have expended. Also easy to limit yourself. Bring 30 loaded mags and you will only shoot 300 rounds. I have to keep it simple because I'm not very bright. ;)

Off to greg cote I go...

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Indeed. It is also addictive for the reason you state. Not much fun shooting a stock gun after a while.

When the Wizard and I would get a stock gun it would only go to the range once. That was just to test function, accuracy, etc. Once that is accomplished there really isn't any point. ;)
    Enlighten me for a moment though.

If a guy was going to run a stock DA/SA CZ handgun, which one "stock" would be the best out of the box to do so with?
    Maybe something with the Omega trigger is what I was thinking?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Morning all this talk of shooting has me all worked up. :D My current stable of CZ's is just 2 the SP-01 tactical and a P-01. I have about 600 rounds through the SP-01. This gun was purchased new and is currently stock. The P-01 has around 1000 rounds down the pipe I picked it up from GregD. It is also a stock gun with the exception of a set of TFX sights. I had always planned on a minimum of a 1000 rounds before having any work done on either gun. I'm right at the point where I'm ready to order the Pro kit from CGW and letting the Wizard work his magic. I believe the P-01 will be first.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

If a guy was going to run a stock DA/SA CZ handgun, which one "stock" would be the best out of the box to do so with?

There are a lot of factors. Many of them are very subjective. Omega triggers feel mushy to me. There are many who disagree. Any mass produced item has tolerances and how well a gun shoots in has as much to do with how the tolerances of that particular gun line up as anything else. Any of the CZ guns will improve dramatically with rounds down the barrel. Pick one and shoot the hell out of it. Then shoot it some more. Somewhere in the 5-10k neighborhood is a good goal. The problem is that you won't really feel the difference until you shoot it against another stock gun. Also if you shoot the majority in SA it will take a lot longer to notice any improvement in the DA. IMO, for the best results, 80% or more of your rounds should be in DA. Again, just my :twocents:. I'm sure there are people who would disagree.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I was looking at those. Invested in more 16 and 19 round mags this time.
    Always a good investment. I was just throwing that out there for something to think about. There was a time when the Phantom, as the HD gun, sported 19+1 with two 26s as backup mags. I figured that would be enough for any late night uninvited guests. ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Morning all this talk of shooting has me all worked up. :D My current stable of CZ's is just 2 the SP-01 tactical and a P-01. I have about 600 rounds through the SP-01. This gun was purchased new and is currently stock. The P-01 has around 1000 rounds down the pipe I picked it up from GregD. It is also a stock gun with the exception of a set of TFX sights. I had always planned on a minimum of a 1000 rounds before having any work done on either gun. I'm right at the point where I'm ready to order the Pro kit from CGW and letting the Wizard work his magic. I believe the P-01 will be first.
    That's an excellent plan.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

BA - I’ll add to this request for enlightenment. If you took a non-Omega trigger and just installed a race hammer would the creep be eliminated (edit: significantly reduced).

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    BA - I’ll add to this request for enlightenment. If you took a non-Omega trigger and just installed a race hammer would the creep be eliminated (edit: significantly reduced).

I just talked to CGW about this a week ago. Get the race hammer, sear and the appropriate disconnector.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I just talked to CGW about this a week ago. Get the race hammer, sear and the appropriate disconnector.

I have been contemplating this direction for the RAMI but haven't decided yet and, given T-dogg's previous trigger preference comments, I would think a similar set-up might be a minimalist approach to a good performing trigger.

Just thinking out loud...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been contemplating this direction for the RAMI but haven't decided yet and, given T-dogg's previous trigger preference comments, I would think a similar set-up might be a minimalist approach to a good performing trigger.

Just thinking out loud...

My personal experience with any ignition group is get all the parts. Loose the stock pieces and allow the new bits to marry properly. There is no real minimalist approach that actually works. Not an opinion. Based on real world results. No matter what the platforms.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So...hand the gun to the Wizard and ask him to make it sing.

Got it. I will stop thinking...

What you will...in effect....be doing is wasting your time in the long run. Just installing the new bits makes a world of difference. What the wizard does to them is where the gold is found.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Can the CGW parts be polished to the same effect that you get from shooting it? All morning we've been discussing the merits of shooting in DA. The effect on the gun is without question. I've been dry firing the Tactical along side the Phantom, and they are worlds apart, with the same CGW parts.

We need a CGW "Perfection Package"!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom