Not open for further replies.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Some of us are impressionable here, and all this talk and chatter about the love of everything CZ has changed my focus causing an interruption to my "trimming" mode this summer :dunno:, and my world of settling on what I had chosen after a year of research and rabbit holes. :coffee:
    I now am in the position of hard decisions of selling/trading off beloved acquisitions like my FNS Longslide in order to field acquisition(s) of CZs.
    Actually, with my Omega, I just want the SP-01 40/41 oz. or the Tactical (45ish oz, I think?). I will not allow myself/indulge myself to dream of the Shadow 2 (I am not worthy). :laugh:
    I can't part with my Glock 26 with it's multiplicity of applications for me, or my Shield 9 even though just 1 application.
    The thought of having to give up my Ruger P89 that I love causes emotional stress and pain :crying: due to my attachment to the "perfect" range gun.
    I have a marriage at stake here and after my cash supply runs out, I just can't go to the bank (AGAIN) and get more money (out of savings) b/c she will call for an intervention for my new "habit/addiction" that has invaded an otherwise boring but stable marriage (of 45 yrs. in August). :rofl:

I realize I will get no sympathy from the "big boys" here, but I thought it might illicit some humor in remembering when you went through this stage with your spouse.
    Or not. Just an old man trying to hand onto his successful marriage and handguns, and ammo, and holsters, and cleaning supplies, and bore lights, and safe, and now trainings. :fogey:
    I think you get the idea. :laugh:

Don't work so hard catching up that you hurt yourself.

You ARE off the pain meds, right?:D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Agree. I am also practicing more DA lately. It's easy to shoot that first round DA, then the next 18 rounds SA. I've been decocking between each round and that has made a difference.
    Two things I have done for a while. First, shoot most of your rounds DA. This will do more to smooth the action and you will feel it. Rounds down the barrel helps DA way more than SA. I only shoot SA on mag dumps or double taps. Second, regardless of the capacity I only load ten rounds in a range mag. Ten rounds is all you need to accomplish whatever you're trying to do in a particular string. After ten rounds I tend to loose a little focus. It slows me down and helps me to concentrate on the objective of the string. It keeps your target cleaner so you can see what you have accomplished and see if there are trends as the string goes along. It saves a little ammo. Take a breather between mags. Decide what you want to accomplish on the next string. Allows more time to tell lies to the other guys you're shooting with. ;)

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I also enjoy the chase of finding the next great gun, but I tend to know what I am looking for. Just remember that there is no perfect gun, no perfect fit. If you find something you like, just shoot the heck out of it. Don't sacrifice something you know you love to get something you think you might like. Don't get so caught up in the chase that you don't stop to enjoy what you already have. And if you keep changing guns looking for the one that will make you a better shooter, you will never find it. Find one that feels right in your hand and when you point it. Then put as many rounds down range through that single gun as time and budget will allow. If you find something you really like, when you add to the collection, adding a similar gun with the same trigger and sights will help keep you proficient.

And remember it is a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. Don't make it into a job trying to find perfection that doesn't exist.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good morning all.

I am a firm believer that time spent shooting in DA makes one a better shooter overall.
    And I know BA has said this before, but shooting a CZ frequently in DA will make the trigger better too.
    *Edit, he literally just said this less than 10 minutes ago. :)

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I usually set the gun down every 5 rounds. Inspect target, then pick it back up and re-aquire grip and sight picture. I am in no hurry at the range. But I usually shoot alone. When I shoot with others, I pick up the pace.

I tend to fully load mags, but mainly because I hate loading mags at the range. I tend to shoot in 400 round increments because that is how many mags I have. I should order more mags.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Good morning all.

I am a firm believer that time spent shooting in DA makes one a better shooter overall.
    And I know BA has said this before, but shooting a CZ frequently in DA will make the trigger better too.
    *Edit, he literally just said this less than 10 minutes ago. :)

How did training go yesterday? I've looked at the classes in Atlanta, but haven't made it to one yet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Moderation in all things. Be patient and enjoy what you have. Enjoy what others have when you can. This will help you to avoid missteps.

1. Wise words, of which encompasses my life, except in this lately.
    2. I feel my time is passing swiftly and I know retirement will curtail everything, so I want to have my "ducks" (in this case, guns) in a row. :laugh:

Ran a couple hundred rounds through the SP01 Tactical this week with some first time shooters. Need to run a few through the Phantom today.

3. Jealousy never has run through my veins but I'm having this strange unidentified feeling sweeping over me. :rofl:

Agree. I am also practicing more DA lately. It's easy to shoot that first round DA, then the next 18 rounds SA. I've been decocking between each round and that has made a difference.

4. Now that's an interesting insight. :popcorn:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My apologies. I forget that not everyone has a lot of mags. I also hate loading mags at the range. I also hate doing mental gymnastics at the range. That's another reason I only load 10 rounds. If I bring x number of mags it's easy to figure out how many rounds I have expended. Also easy to limit yourself. Bring 30 loaded mags and you will only shoot 300 rounds. I have to keep it simple because I'm not very bright. ;)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Two things I have done for a while. First, shoot most of your rounds DA. This will do more to smooth the action and you will feel it. Rounds down the barrel helps DA way more than SA. I only shoot SA on mag dumps or double taps. Second, regardless of the capacity I only load ten rounds in a range mag. Ten rounds is all you need to accomplish whatever you're trying to do in a particular string. After ten rounds I tend to loose a little focus. It slows me down and helps me to concentrate on the objective of the string. It keeps your target cleaner so you can see what you have accomplished and see if there are trends as the string goes along. It saves a little ammo. Take a breather between mags. Decide what you want to accomplish on the next string. Allows more time to tell lies to the other guys you're shooting with. ;)
    If anyone doubts how much Birds shoots in DA, the Phantom will convince you, that, what he says is true. The difference between the Tactical and the Phantom, is night and day. Both guns were done by the Wizard, but the DA rounds down the Phantom have made all the difference.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If anyone doubts how much Birds shoots in DA, the Phantom will convince you, that, what he says is true. The difference between the Tactical and the Phantom, is night and day. Both guns were done by the Wizard, but the DA rounds down the Phantom have made all the difference.
    Plus, a Cajunized gun is so easy to manually decock without moving things around too much. That big flat top hammer and the lighter springs make it a breeze and it becomes almost automatic as you go along.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Happy Sunday folks!

Can't wait to run the Mk IV. The thing that made me go back and grab is was when I remembered that it was the Target, not the standard version. Hoping to run it a bit this week. Between Friday and Saturday, I put over 500 rounds down range, all left hand only. Most of that was .22lr, but there was 100 rounds of 9mm in there too. I'm happy with where I'm at in shooting lefty right now. One thing that I think has been helping is that I've been working on grip strength and muscle isolation. I use a grip exercise tool and will squeeze it 50 times with the index finger pointed straight, gripping with only the bottom 3 fingers. Then, on the 50th pull, I'll hold the grip almost closed tight, but with about 1/8 inch between the ends. While holding it like that, I do 25 trigger pulls while making sure that the 1/8 inch gap does not change. Doing those seems to be helping with separating my ability to manipulate the trigger finger while maintaining a good grip.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have to force myself to slow down and decock the gun, when I'm plinking. Generally, after the first shot, I'm looking for the next target.
    After our last cheeseburger summit, I have been shooting a lot more DA.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have to force myself to slow down and decock the gun, when I'm plinking. Generally, after the first shot, I'm looking for the next target.
    After our last cheeseburger summit, I have been shooting a lot more DA.
    It definitely pays off, as you know. It sometimes seems like a long road but it is well worth travelling.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The problem with Cajunized guns is, the ones that aren't, stay in the safe.

My SP01 with the safety never gets to come out and play. Being a trigger snob is expensive. :cool:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    88, it is very impressive, the way you have been working through your physical setback. My hat is off to you sir! :thumbsup:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The problem with Cajunized guns is, the ones that aren't, stay in the safe.

My SP01 with the safety never gets to come out and play. Being a trigger snob is expensive. :cool:
    Indeed. It is also addictive for the reason you state. Not much fun shooting a stock gun after a while.

When the Wizard and I would get a stock gun it would only go to the range once. That was just to test function, accuracy, etc. Once that is accomplished there really isn't any point. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom