Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At that point I assume you don't really even miss it? I know it's that way for me for soda. I stopped drinking coke decades ago because it upset my stomach and about 5 years ago I stopped drinking all pop for the very same reason. Now I don't even miss it and drink tea or water when I would have normally drank pop. I assume I would eventually get to the same place with alcohol, but have never gone that long without... :):

I loved me some cold beer in the evening or in the shop on a hot day with my buddy's. Discovered I was a diabetic and decided it was not worth the risks. I gave up Pop when they stopped using real suger in it. An occasional Sprite over ice but mainly water milk and tea these days.

We have a fire pit. When the kids have a fire I might go down for a minute but I crave a beer when I set in a chair by a good fire. That is the only time I miss it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I smoked and drank quite a bit in my late teens and all through my twenties. Once our daughter came into the picture I hung up that lifestyle. I've had a few cigars since then and still drink occasionally, but I no longer drink to get drunk, just enough to take the edge off the day.

Unrelated, it looks like I have a couple of training classes coming up soon. Haven't attended one in a few months because of the house. Looking forward to putting some lead down range in a tactical fashion. I love firearms training, it's how I get my "buzz" these days. :ar15:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all.

Morning Maan.

I smoked and drank quite a bit in my late teens and all through my twenties. Once our daughter came into the picture I hung up that lifestyle. I've had a few cigars since then and still drink occasionally, but I no longer drink to get drunk, just enough to take the edge off the day.

That's where I'm at. Smoked, drank and toked too much as a young man, but cleaned up in my mid-20's and started drinking only occasionally. A beer or two on occasion is all I've allowed myself for a long, long time.

CM will pick up his new pistol on Sunday. He is very excited.

Very cool! :rockwoot:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I loved me some cold beer in the evening or in the shop on a hot day with my buddy's. Discovered I was a diabetic and decided it was not worth the risks. I gave up Pop when they stopped using real suger in it. An occasional Sprite over ice but mainly water milk and tea these days.

We have a fire pit. When the kids have a fire I might go down for a minute but I crave a beer when I set in a chair by a good fire. That is the only time I miss it.

I cut way back on sugar after watching a speech from an activist endocrinologist where he outlines how harmful fructose is. (Sucrose or table sugar is half Fructose, high-fructose corn syrup is only slightly higher in fructose at 55% or so).

I've now become so sensitive to sugar that I can't eat even modest portions without hating it. I'll open a can of Dr Pepper and be unable to finish it before I feel ill. I ate a snickers bar yesterday afternoon and felt like throwing up afterwards it made me so sick.

Even a small portion of ice cream is enough sugar to make me feel not so great.

Gaining back your sensitivity to sugar is a weird thing. It's hard to do because EVERYTHING seemingly has sugar in it. I can handle it in diluted forms, but candy, soda, even donuts (!) make me physically ill now.

I remember as a kid my Grandma always warning about a "belly ache" from eating sweets. I never got the belly ache she warned about. Why? Because I had been eating it so regularly. Older generation folks like her grew up eating far less sugar, far less often. And as a result, they WOULD get a belly ache from eating the kinds of things I could shrug off as a kid.

Judging by the rampant childhood obesity I see around me, none of today's kids could get a sugar-related belly ache anymore. They simply have no insulin sensitivitiy sufficient to produce that "shock".

It's like people who drink heavily for long periods having a massive alcohol tolerance-- of course they do, they are never truly sober!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Semi-long story made short; my wife was put on a strict diet about two months ago which I adopted. No sugar is part of it. Lost over ten pounds....another 30 and I'll be at my running weight...

Thank goodness she is letting me have caffeine...

CKW - Sunday? Nice!! Teaching the guy patience!!!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    So the spouse has been acting a bit strange the last few days. I shrugged it off to the recent series of surgery's she has endured.
    Man was I wrong.
    Congratulations! What a great gift!
    So the next time she starts acting strange then you can see this as a good thing (This could have been her plan all along just to keep you on your toes!) :D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am curious if this a general statement or an observation made after a recent purchase?

Bourbon has played a role in more than one transaction in the past. That 2nd DW A2 may have been one of them.

Life is better unsweetened. One of the reasons that I like to have a beer after mowing is that I don’t get the sugar headache afterwards. Same goes for coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Bourbon has played a role in more than one transaction in the past. That 2nd DW A2 may have been one of them.

Life is better unsweetened. One of the reasons that I like to have a beer after mowing is that I don’t get the sugar headache afterwards. Same goes for coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm...I used to drink like no tomorrow and now that I seldom drink anything at all; even one adult beverage leads to a headache.

Just for the record - my father was found of saying to any problem raised, "bourbon will help"...

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Hmm...I used to drink like no tomorrow and now that I seldom drink anything at all; even one adult beverage leads to a headache.

Just for the record - my father was found of saying to any problem raised, "bourbon will help"...

A certain degree of truth in old sayings.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I have always though it was his way of saying to slow down, put things in perspective and make a solid decision based on the known facts, assumption and logical conclusions after reasonable deliberation.

...or he just wanted an excuse to not drink by himself?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Like when I decide to build another AR or upgrade a pistol, and I tell myself that I am going to do it slowly over time, then two days later there is a stack of boxes from UPS on the porch when I get home...

Or when I intend to put a CGW hammer and sear in my Shadow 2 and ended up ordering the full Shadow S-2 Kit today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom