The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't know how to predict a ROI on something like this, because I don't know how much stuff or work I will sell.

Interesting thought on the FFL part. What would be the concern of being a business doing work on firearm accessories/parts, but not the actual firearm itself? I don't know if I can get my FFL where I'm at, haven't pursued that yet. There's a whole process with the city zoning dept. I have talked to them about it though.
    Well think of it as a customer acquisition cost and how many of the various services you would offer would you estimate you would need to sell/provide to cover that cost.

That would be a good starting point.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Pounding a Sam Adams at 0130. Who am I and what have I done with myself? Had to take my BP meds with something.

Just put the home made chicken noodle soup in the fridge. It is delicious. Time to hit the hay.
    I woke up to early also. Trying to get back to sleep before I get up at 0430.
    I wake up, and come here when I can't sleep.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't know how to predict a ROI on something like this, because I don't know how much stuff or work I will sell.

Interesting thought on the FFL part. What would be the concern of being a business doing work on firearm accessories/parts, but not the actual firearm itself? I don't know if I can get my FFL where I'm at, haven't pursued that yet. There's a whole process with the city zoning dept. I have talked to them about it though.
    I think that you would be Ok as long as you didn't take in customer firearms. I know little about the business but would just be careful opening a vendor account and in any way, indicate that you are working on customer firearms. You probably want to be pretty clear on any online documentation.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm just about done with my latest camera recovery. This new project was a Canon AE-1 Program that had been stored after having gotten wet. There was a lot of corrosion under the covers but fortunately, no moisture got into the electronics. The ASA dial was frozen from corrosion but the camera did operate. It was very sluggish and had the Canon shutter squeal that happens on cameras that need lubed.
    The top cover was shot so I sourced a new one. The best deal on the new one was for a black cover, so I did a color change to the camera. It got a complete cleaning, lube, new light seals and a new finger grip. Right now, I'm getting ready to toss a short roll of film into it for a fast 10 frame test but from what I can see so far, the camera is now functioning like new again.
    20240227_164709.jpg20240227_200341.jpg20240229_120616.jpg20240306_062155.jpg

This was a fun project. Thanks Chris, for the chance to bring another camera back from the brink.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well think of it as a customer acquisition cost and how many of the various services you would offer would you estimate you would need to sell/provide to cover that cost.

That would be a good starting point.
    The division math is easy, especially in hindsight. And when your not in the forest trying to count trees.

It’s the “will I sell anything at all and ever get this money back” that’s a total shot in the dark.

I never dreamed I’d have the business that I have, didn’t set out to do it but let it grow organically as demand grew. It was still big speculation to upgrade equipment but there was a baseline trend.

Others in my business worked hard to grow, and they might have double to six times the footage I do annually. A few might have went down in flames. But I’m ok with my decisions to keep it conservative and not be highly leveraged.

Sometimes things are a no brainer, sometimes not. When not, I like to dip my toe in the water and see what will take off.
    If it were me, I’d explore the FFL, but start out without making huge moves and see what work comes my way. I would make sure to be a little fish in a big pond when it comes to telling everyone from the HOA to the state and feds ‘hey I have a business’.

But that’s just me, and one other thing I’ve learned in life, is that if you have a vision for something, and want to make it work, you can and should!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I think that you would be Ok as long as you didn't take in customer firearms. I know little about the business but would just be careful opening a vendor account and in any way, indicate that you are working on customer firearms. You probably want to be pretty clear on any online documentation.
    Aside from zoning regulations, HOA, state licensing, and the FFL procees, I also need to discuss insurance costs with my agent. That could be the real deal breaker of starting a full on FFL / gunsmithing business.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The division math is easy, especially in hindsight. And when your not in the forest trying to count trees.

It’s the “will I sell anything at all and ever get this money back” that’s a total shot in the dark.

I never dreamed I’d have the business that I have, didn’t set out to do it but let it grow organically as demand grew. It was still big speculation to upgrade equipment but there was a baseline trend.

Others in my business worked hard to grow, and they might have double to six times the footage I do annually. A few might have went down in flames. But I’m ok with my decisions to keep it conservative and not be highly leveraged.

Sometimes things are a no brainer, sometimes not. When not, I like to dip my toe in the water and see what will take off.
    If it were me, I’d explore the FFL, but start out without making huge moves and see what work comes my way. I would make sure to be a little fish in a big pond when it comes to telling everyone from the HOA to the state and feds ‘hey I have a business’.

But that’s just me, and one other thing I’ve learned in life, is that if you have a vision for something, and want to make it work, you can and should!
    I believe we are on the same page. What I do in the garage would have zero impact on the neighborhood. And that's the way I would want it, because I live here too and wouldn't want the guy next door running an auto repair shop all hours of the day and disturbing the peace. Basically I told the zoning department that I would be less disturbing than a gas push mower cutting the grass.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I would be less disturbing than a gas push mower cutting the grass.

Really? Sure. Ok. I know a cannon that says otherwise.

BTW….excellent work on creating the world’s only OR CZ 40p. Thank you!

2e8e5235cd5ac00462a5ffa4d6e4e597.jpg

This will be a seldom fired gun so went with a cheap $115 optic. It fits the slide nicely (has a sealing plate with bottom battery) and the optic quality seems decent.

Might just put another one on a Rami?

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I'm just about done with my latest camera recovery. This new project was a Canon AE-1 Program that had been stored after having gotten wet. There was a lot of corrosion under the covers but fortunately, no moisture got into the electronics. The ASA dial was frozen from corrosion but the camera did operate. It was very sluggish and had the Canon shutter squeal that happens on cameras that need lubed.
    The top cover was shot so I sourced a new one. The best deal on the new one was for a black cover, so I did a color change to the camera. It got a complete cleaning, lube, new light seals and a new finger grip. Right now, I'm getting ready to toss a short roll of film into it for a fast 10 frame test but from what I can see so far, the camera is now functioning like new again.
    View attachment 337915View attachment 337917View attachment 337918View attachment 337920

This was a fun project. Thanks Chris, for the chance to bring another camera back from the brink.
    Great Job!!! I’m very happy that you were able to restore it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Really? Sure. Ok. I know a cannon that says otherwise.

BTW….excellent work on creating the world’s only OR CZ 40p. Thank you!

2e8e5235cd5ac00462a5ffa4d6e4e597.jpg

This will be a seldom fired gun so went with a cheap $115 optic. It fits the slide nicely (has a sealing plate with bottom battery) and the optic quality seems decent.

Might just put another one on a Rami?

Please bring that to the SGE as I would love to shoot it. I've always loved the 40P and am sad I sold mine.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Huskemaw has a level inside the optic also. Always thought others would pick this up but must be harder than it looks to do right?

View attachment 337916
    I have a internal level in my USO B25 and love it. They also offer it in the T-series scopes. Moving forward, if I'm shopping for a long range scope, it'll be a mandatory option.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom