The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Costco is $20 less than Amazon but I have to drive there and interact with the public. Wish you could buy this stuff from a locally owned store....

I could ask Tami to go to Costco but that $20 savings would evaporate into other purchases! LOL!

It is a shame she doesn't have the purchasing willpower that I do.
    Costco can definitely hit the wallet, but they are my favorite B&M store.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As with everything, I tend to over-analyze cameras as much as I do guns. I've begun to calculate the cost per frame in an effort to limit the number of cameras that I accumulate. When all is said and done, it's the picture that matters, so reducing the cost of every picture shot means that I can shoot more pictures. Right now, with my main camera, a Canon F-1N, I'm running about 70 cents per frame for just the cost of the camera. Film runs about 13 cents a frame if bulk loaded. When I calculate the per frame cost of other cameras, I am realizing that it really drives the cost per frame up when adding a new camera to the collection. For instance, I picked up a Canon F-1 (early type) and with the maintenance costs, it's running over $5 per frame right now. That will come down as I shoot it more, but those pictures shot could easily have been taken with other existing cameras.

I wish I had taken this approach when buying some guns. I have a few that I've put less than 100 rounds through. Spending $600 on a gun that will get shot on rare occasions drives the price per round way up. That means that the gun had better have a value over and above the shooting experience. My first 1911 was a great purchase and the cost per round was worth every penny. The 12th 1911? Not so much. Same for ARs. The first 5 were a decent ROI. The next 7? Maybe not so much.

Overthinking? Definitely.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is funny how we (ok me) can make a gun store impulse purchase in 30 seconds but it takes me three weeks to decide on a printer....

Ink/tone/paper is FAR cheaper than ammunition!
    This is true. I've said I made the decision to buy a particular house, etc in less time than I've taken to figure out an underwear purchase. Same with guns (though I usually research and then just wait for the right price to float by).

Of course, the overall prep and readiness was in place already for the big purchases, but had to act quick on specific house.

It's the stuff I don't want to spend money on sometimes that I agonize over the details.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This is true. I've said I made the decision to buy a particular house, etc in less time than I've taken to figure out an underwear purchase. Same with guns (though I usually research and then just wait for the right price to float by).

Of course, the overall prep and readiness was in place already for the big purchases, but had to act quick on specific house.

It's the stuff I don't want to spend money on sometimes that I agonize over the details.
    Still struggling with that lace or silk decision?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    As with everything, I tend to over-analyze cameras as much as I do guns. I've begun to calculate the cost per frame in an effort to limit the number of cameras that I accumulate. When all is said and done, it's the picture that matters, so reducing the cost of every picture shot means that I can shoot more pictures. Right now, with my main camera, a Canon F-1N, I'm running about 70 cents per frame for just the cost of the camera. Film runs about 13 cents a frame if bulk loaded. When I calculate the per frame cost of other cameras, I am realizing that it really drives the cost per frame up when adding a new camera to the collection. For instance, I picked up a Canon F-1 (early type) and with the maintenance costs, it's running over $5 per frame right now. That will come down as I shoot it more, but those pictures shot could easily have been taken with other existing cameras.

I wish I had taken this approach when buying some guns. I have a few that I've put less than 100 rounds through. Spending $600 on a gun that will get shot on rare occasions drives the price per round way up. That means that the gun had better have a value over and above the shooting experience. My first 1911 was a great purchase and the cost per round was worth every penny. The 12th 1911? Not so much. Same for ARs. The first 5 were a decent ROI. The next 7? Maybe not so much.

Overthinking? Definitely.
    I have two decision making processes.

1) Just buy it.

2) Research, debate, analyze, reconsider, seek input. Repeat until paralysis.

The more I am going to use something on a regular basis, the more I leans towards #2.

I recently replaced my EDC knife that a broke. Spent at least two weeks considering options - for a $50 knife....

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Morning folks!

Have not bought a printer in over 20 years. Wife always worked from home and we had a laser printer supplied by her employer. They replaced the old one about 5 years ago and when se retired they took back her computer but left us the printer. We only print black & white and get HP toner cartridges which lasts us a year or two!

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Costco is $20 less than Amazon but I have to drive there and interact with the public. Wish you could buy this stuff from a locally owned store....

I could ask Tami to go to Costco but that $20 savings would evaporate into other purchases! LOL!

It is a shame she doesn't have the purchasing willpower that I do.
    The answer to that is just order from them and have it delivered.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Morning folks!

Have not bought a printer in over 20 years. Wife always worked from home and we had a laser printer supplied by her employer. They replaced the old one about 5 years ago and when se retired they took back her computer but left us the printer. We only print black & white and get HP toner cartridges which lasts us a year or two!
    B2V wins!!!!!!!!

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have two decision making processes.

1) Just buy it.

2) Research, debate, analyze, reconsider, seek input. Repeat until paralysis.

The more I am going to use something on a regular basis, the more I leans towards #2.

I recently replaced my EDC knife that a broke. Spent at least two weeks considering options - for a $50 knife....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom