The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Looking at new ink jet printer to replace a 15 year old laser printer.

Anyone have any experience with the Epson Eco-Tank or HP Smart-Tank? Leaning towards the Epson ET-3850 over the HP 7602 with a third option of the Canon gx4020.

99% of what I print is for internal use only. I have an occasional report to deliver to a client but the cost to operate a laser just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Anyone have any experience with the Epson Eco-Tank or HP Smart-Tank? Leaning towards the Epson ET-3850 over the HP 7602.

99% of what I print is for internal use only. I have an occasional report to deliver to a client but the cost to operate a laser just doesn't make sense.
    We have the epson st4000.
    Absolutely love the eco tank printers over anything with a cartridge. Wife is a kindergarten teacher and we go through reams of paper it seems. Lots of color.
    Tank type is definitely the way to go.

This is a $200 printer or something like that, I certainly don’t expect to get 15 years out of it.

Don’t have any HP tank type experience, but plan to stick with Epson.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Anyone have any experience with the Epson Eco-Tank or HP Smart-Tank? Leaning towards the Epson ET-3850 over the HP 7602 with a third option of the Canon gx4020.

How much of what you print, could be printed/saved to PDF and stored that way?

On another note, I've got a couple of fairly recent HP printers now after having moved from a Canon that was working fine for years, but ran into a thing where it basically refused to print anymore because it said some blotter/catch can type of thing was full (based on number of prints, etc) and wouldn't let me override it.

The HPs have been fine so far, except they forced an HP Smart app in the middle of things that has a web connection, etc. In the beginning the HP Smart app was buggy, but they also prevented you from just adding the printer in Windows and bypassing it. It would cause all kinds of issues when new IP addresses, etc we obtained via DHCP on my wife's PC, but others seemed ok. It's been fine for the most part lately. I can see providing an app for scanning, etc but to force it in the middle of just being able to plug and play add the printer to Windows really PO'd me at the time. No idea if they are still forcing this with their newest printers.

Long winded but all of them seem to have their issues these days and won't last as long as they used to.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    How much of what you print, could be printed/saved to PDF and stored that way?

On another note, I've got a couple of fairly recent HP printers now after having moved from a Canon that was working fine for years, but ran into a thing where it basically refused to print anymore because it said some blotter/catch can type of thing was full (based on number of prints, etc) and wouldn't let me override it.

The HPs have been fine so far, except they forced an HP Smart app in the middle of things that has a web connection, etc. In the beginning the HP Smart app was buggy, but they also prevented you from just adding the printer in Windows and bypassing it. It would cause all kinds of issues when new IP addresses, etc we obtained via DHCP on my wife's PC, but others seemed ok. It's been fine for the most part lately. I can see providing an app for scanning, etc but to force it in the middle of just being able to plug and play add the printer to Windows really PO'd me at the time. No idea if they are still forcing this with their newest printers.

Long winded but all of them seem to have their issues these days and won't last as long as they used to.
    Probably 40-60% of what I print could be keep digital but I like paper to review, proofread and reference.

I read a review someplace that "complained" about HP's big brother approach to its printers and suggested shutting off its access to the internet and their apps....

You used a lot of words in the third paragraph that don't mean much to me...I saw "forced", "buggy" and that it impacted your wife's PC. That is enough to make me buy an Epson. LOL! We have had HP laser printers for decades now. All have been reliable for a time span that justified whatever the purchase price. This is the only reason HP is on the short list. Brand loyalty.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Been using an ecotank for a while. Ink is a ton cheaper. Easy to fill. Doesn't get much use here but has not given us any trouble at all.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

I’ve thought about the ET-3850 myself. $329 at Costco… We have had a Brother for years but the cost of cartridges is getting stupid.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Any reason to go inkjet? I bought a laser printer a decade ago and it's much cheaper to use (I can get cheap toner cartridges off of Amazon).
    A good question.

The cheap Amazon cartridges used to be sold as a just black or a color/black set. For the last year or two; only the color sets have been available. We probably use three blacks to one set of colors - greatly increasing the cost of operation.

The toner quality has also gone down dramatically. When I do need to print a color copy for a client; the quality is almost too poor to present.

The quality of the cartridges have declined now that fewer sellers offer the cartridge on Amazon. Its seem like about 1 in 4 cartridges are bad or fails before the toner runs out.

Not sure that I want to buy a new laser with better cartridge availability only to deal with same issue again?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Any reason to go inkjet? I bought a laser printer a decade ago and it's much cheaper to use (I can get cheap toner cartridges off of Amazon).
    True, if one prints a lot, ink jet can be expensive. Not sure if the ecotank versions where one can refill the ink from a bottle makes this better or just makes more margin for the printer maker. Ink is the profit center on ink jet printers.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    True, if one prints a lot, ink jet can be expensive. Not sure if the ecotank versions where one can refill the ink from a bottle makes this better or just makes more margin for the printer maker. Ink is the profit center on ink jet printers.
    Printing all the same stuff, kindergarten teacher stuff and farmer field data and maps across 3 or 4 HP’s vs our second Epson tank type, the tank type is waaaaaay cheaper.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Probably 40-60% of what I print could be keep digital but I like paper to review, proofread and reference.

I read a review someplace that "complained" about HP's big brother approach to its printers and suggested shutting off its access to the internet and their apps....

You used a lot of words in the third paragraph that don't mean much to me...I saw "forced", "buggy" and that it impacted your wife's PC. That is enough to make me buy an Epson. LOL! We have had HP laser printers for decades now. All have been reliable for a time span that justified whatever the purchase price. This is the only reason HP is on the short list. Brand loyalty.
    In my experience I would definitely echo the sentiment that HP wants to be big brother. Very annoying. If I don’t want somethings “help” I don’t want its help!! I hate that stuff.

The Epson is like “hey I’m over here with my own little WiFi network if you need it sometime”.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Brother does make some economical color laser printers. I have found that Costco is the least expensive place to purchase Computers and printers with better warranty’s.
    Costco is $20 less than Amazon but I have to drive there and interact with the public. Wish you could buy this stuff from a locally owned store....

I could ask Tami to go to Costco but that $20 savings would evaporate into other purchases! LOL!

It is a shame she doesn't have the purchasing willpower that I do.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    In my experience I would definitely echo the sentiment that HP wants to be big brother. Very annoying. If I don’t want somethings “help” I don’t want its help!! I hate that stuff.

The Epson is like “hey I’m over here with my own little WiFi network if you need it sometime”.
    I am leaning hard to the Epson....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom