• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    After shooting my Tisas .45 commander, the Tisas 9mm felt like I was shooting a .22. It always catches me off guard on that first shot, because you're expecting something snappy. Everyone should own a 1911 in 9mm.
    To that statement, I've kind of been wondering if I were to get a middle of the road 1911 (not even sure I'd want one since I fairly recently picked up an SA-35), and maybe have a little work done on it, what should I look to do?

• Gun size? I think in one sense, I'd like a commander sized gun (though it's not something I'd carry, so maybe not). I've got a SA-35, so not sure if I'd want another "full size" 9mm that I would never carry.
    • Caliber? I'm all 9mm for centerfire pistol today, so staying 9mm would be nice, but wondering if I'd stay with 9mm for a 1911, or if 10mm would be interesting. But, I've never shot a 10mm, and I got out of .40 because I did not like it in the compact/sub compact sized guns at all, which goes back to the gun size question.
    Just my brain working over that question a bit.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    To that statement, I've kind of been wondering if I were to get a middle of the road 1911 (not even sure I'd want one since I fairly recently picked up an SA-35), and maybe have a little work done on it, what should I look to do?

• Gun size? I think in one sense, I'd like a commander sized gun (though it's not something I'd carry, so maybe not). I've got a SA-35, so not sure if I'd want another "full size" 9mm that I would never carry.
    • Caliber? I'm all 9mm for centerfire pistol today, so staying 9mm would be nice, but wondering if I'd stay with 9mm for a 1911, or if 10mm would be interesting. But, I've never shot a 10mm, and I got out of .40 because I did not like it in the compact/sub compact sized guns at all, which goes back to the gun size question.
    Just my brain working over that question a bit.
    Generally speaking, I have always gravitated towards "commander" size guns, full size grip with a compact size slide. Doesn't matter if it's for carry or range only, just the configuration I tend to like. That being said, for whatever reason, there's an exception to that rule, because a 5" Govt 1911 does not bother me.

If you can, I would pair up with someone and shoot a 1911 in .45, 9mm, and 10mm. Then make a decision on which you like. 9mm in a 1911 is just giggle stupid fun.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Generally speaking, I have always gravitated towards "commander" size guns, full size grip with a compact size slide. Doesn't matter if it's for carry or range only, just the configuration I tend to like. That being said, for whatever reason, there's an exception to that rule, because a 5" Govt 1911 does not bother me.

If you can, I would pair up with someone and shoot a 1911 in .45, 9mm, and 10mm. Then make a decision on which you like. 9mm in a 1911 is just giggle stupid fun.
    Agreed, definitely need to shoot one, especially in 10mm. Been years, but I've shot both 9mm and 45 in a 1911, but not commander sized.

Commander size is definitely where I gravitate to as well.

45 is just a slow push as a I recall (have had a couple of not to be named pistols in 45 in the past), and 9mm is what I'm generally used to. Just not sure how snappy 10mm would be in a Commander sized gun, and if it's worth the extra caliber and expense for a complete one off.

Decision is really probably between 9mm and 10mm, in a commander sized gun. I've been there and done that with 45 and don't see going that direction. 9mm (same caliber as most everything I have today) in another one off gun, or really one off and go 10mm. Just not sure if the 10mm would be abusive enough that I wouldn't be interested in shooting it much.

9mm in the SA-35 is definitely happy time today, in that big gun form factor. My daughter was loving the SA-35 when she was beating up the dueling tree and some other steel at Proteq recently.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Agreed, definitely need to shoot one, especially in 10mm. Been years, but I've shot both 9mm and 45 in a 1911, but not commander sized.

Commander size is definitely where I gravitate to as well.

45 is just a slow push as a I recall (have had a couple of not to be named pistols in 45 in the past), and 9mm is what I'm generally used to. Just not sure how snappy 10mm would be in a Commander sized gun, and if it's worth the extra caliber and expense for a complete one off.

Decision is really probably between 9mm and 10mm, in a commander sized gun. I've been there and done that with 45 and don't see going that direction. 9mm (same caliber as most everything I have today) in another one off gun, or really one off and go 10mm. Just not sure if the 10mm would be abusive enough that I wouldn't be interested in shooting it much.

9mm in the SA-35 is definitely happy time today, in that big gun form factor. My daughter was loving the SA-35 when she was beating up the dueling tree and some other steel at Proteq recently.
    And I should add, I guess most of the 4" & 4.25" guns from the OEMs are aluminum frame so that's something to consider as well, though of course, I could have Allen cut a gov't model sized gun down to 4.25" as I've seen some of his work doing that and it looks great.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom