The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They're television manufacturers like Apple US is an iPhone manufacturer. I agree with your assertion we need to become producers again, not just assemblers. If a corporation is totally dependent on Chinese suppliers or cheap labor, perhaps they should revisit their business plan

Apple is so much in bed with china. They are in the worst tier of 'so-called' American companies.
    I will not buy anything new from Apple although I admit I have a used iphone. My next phone will not be from Apple.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Apple is so much in bed with china. They are in the worst tier of 'so-called' American companies.
    I will not buy anything new from Apple although I admit I have a used iphone. My next phone will not be from Apple.

I've never used anything made by Apple, although in my senior year of high school, (1977-78) my physics teacher had one of the first Apple computers and used it to show us how certain things worked, and then he would demonstrate in real life what he showed us "theoretically" on the computer.

My favorite was when he rigged up a contraption to show us how gravity affects everything equally, (in a vacuum, frictionless environment of course).

His premise: If a hunter shoots at a monkey hanging from a branch, and the monkey lets go of the branch at the exact same moment, the hunter will still hit the monkey (since the bullet would be falling at the same rate). To demonstrate this, he rigged up a straw and an electromagnet with a paper clip in front of one end of the straw acting as a "switch" for the electromagnet. He would then use the straw as a blowgun to shoot a projectile at a weight (I forget the mass of the "weight"), suspended from the electromagnet.

He would aim at the weight, and when the projectile hit the paperclip at the end of the straw, it broke the circuit to the electromagnet, releasing the weight - simulating the monkey dropping from the tree. He would hit it every time, no matter how hard he blew (changing the forward velocity of the projectile).

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Are you going to buy an american made phone?

No, I need a cell phone. Samsung makes a good phone and they make about 50% of their phones in Vietnam and only a small percentage in china. Other choices would be LG, Google(some models) or HTC phones which are not made in china at all.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've never used anything made by Apple, although in my senior year of high school, (1977-78) my physics teacher had one of the first Apple computers and used it to show us how certain things worked, and then he would demonstrate in real life what he showed us "theoretically" on the computer.

My favorite was when he rigged up a contraption to show us how gravity affects everything equally, (in a vacuum, frictionless environment of course).

His premise: If a hunter shoots at a monkey hanging from a branch, and the monkey lets go of the branch at the exact same moment, the hunter will still hit the monkey (since the bullet would be falling at the same rate). To demonstrate this, he rigged up a straw and an electromagnet with a paper clip in front of one end of the straw acting as a "switch" for the electromagnet. He would then use the straw as a blowgun to shoot a projectile at a weight (I forget the mass of the "weight"), suspended from the electromagnet.

He would aim at the weight, and when the projectile hit the paperclip at the end of the straw, it broke the circuit to the electromagnet, releasing the weight - simulating the monkey dropping from the tree. He would hit it every time, no matter how hard he blew (changing the forward velocity of the projectile).

That's funny, purdue freshman year physics the prof had a similar setup. He used a cork gun, rigged the trigger to an electro magnet holding a stuffed monkey so both would go at the same time. That and having someone hold an FM radio while standing in a faraday cage opening and closing the door were my favorite demos.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's funny, purdue freshman year physics the prof had a similar setup. He used a cork gun, rigged the trigger to an electro magnet holding a stuffed monkey so both would go at the same time. That and having someone hold an FM radio while standing in a faraday cage opening and closing the door were my favorite demos.

Using a stuffed monkey would've been a nice touch! :): The main point (that I wandered away from) was that he wrote a program on that old Apple that created a "Pong" quality graphic on the monitor that he could manipulate to demonstrate the principle - like varying the forward velocity of the projectile. That seemed like magic to me back then!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

There used to be a somewhat similar demonstration at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. They used a steel ball rolling down a ramp(level at the trigger point) which would hit another steel ball dropped by the electromagnet.
    That was an amazing place. Back when I was a kid and the world was a much safer place my Aunt and Uncle would drop me off there in the morning and pick me up in time for supper.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Interestingly enough; India, the sixth largest world economy in 2018 (after US, ChiCom, Japan, Germany, UK) also claims developing nation status

And this tidbit straight from the WTO horses mouth

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/devel_e/d1who_e.htm

I haven't done a deep dive, but the WTO does not appear to have a mechanism in place to challenge these assertions

They self-designate and it appears the only way to challenge this designation, beyond asking them to forgo it (which both have refused) is to exert leverage through unilateral agreements, which Trump is doing. These are the #2 (by some measures #1) and #6 economies in the world. That this massive wealth production has not penetrated all levels of their society sounds like a wealth inequality/internal problem. The US still has poor people, do you think we could declare developing nation status at the WTO? I think not

Once again, the mechanisms of world trade seem predatory and parasitic. They may have been needed when the US economy was head and shoulders above everyone else, but even the largest animals can be brought low by a sufficiently large infestation of bloodsuckers and parasites

Russia has been negotiating with the WTO for membership/developing nation status and the only economies that seem to be considered developed are the US, Japan and western Europe. It seems like given the mechanism's available, Trump's options to effect change were few and he's is in fact using them. I think the EU may eventually get on board although their timidity about disturbing the status quo seems likely to have to do with their much more fragile economies and their greater need for China's markets. IMO what Trump is doing vis a vis China is the last best chance to lead the west away from the economic yoke of China
    Do you really believe that the GDP of a country is indicative of whether they are developing or not? Look at those countries for GDP per capita. India is around 120th, with a bit less than half of the world average GDP per capita. I really don't see how you can deny that they are a developing nation.

China on the other hand is just about exactly at the average. You have more of an argument there, especially when considering the way their government controls things.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Going to post this here for visibility, and because it does become a purely political issue.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.casd.626722/gov.uscourts.casd.626722.1.0.pdf

This is the result of an FOIA request, 8chan affidavit, regarding the shooting in California back in April. Obviously has some language.

Page 29, though.

Ignoring that they printed out and scanned screenshots... there are "(you)" tags in the thread. Those tags only exist and are shown to the person involved in the thread. So if I posted in a thread, and people responded to me, I would see "(you)" on those posts and responses.

Why is the intelligence community participating in an 8chan thread on a shooting? Or is there another plausible explanation?

I think it'd be silly to assume the government doesn't regularly take part in or monitor places like that... nor do I know how significant those posts were to the thread. Just a weird oversight that raises questions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Total aside, but I was on a forum back in the day that had the [you] code. It could be REALLY funny if you knew what was happening, but some people got REALLY upset sometimes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do you really believe that the GDP of a country is indicative of whether they are developing or not? Look at those countries for GDP per capita. India is around 120th, with a bit less than half of the world average GDP per capita. I really don't see how you can deny that they are a developing nation.

China on the other hand is just about exactly at the average. You have more of an argument there, especially when considering the way their government controls things.

I think whether you have developed has most to do with whether you are able to make products to first world standards and sell to your domestic markets at least if not selling to world markets. The Chinese have made greater strides in this area than the Indians, true; but both are capable of such production. They would face difficulty in industrial design for western users and might not be competitive (See: Tata) but I see the important criteria as sophisticated manufacturing capability. The Indians manufacture an indigenous jet trainer (HAL Kiran) and multirole fighter (HAL Tejas) and a sophisticated main battle tank (Arjun) as well as reactor powered ballistic missile submarines (Arrant class) as well as their missiles and other land based ballistic missiles as well as 130-140 (est.) nuclear weapons (although, oddly enough, they are not considered a nuclear state by non-proliferation treaties. WTF? Just shows how screwed up the treaty infrastructure is).

At some point the world has to stop holding their hand by saying they're still developing. Do we need to carry our main competitors until they are our equals? A line needs to be drawn somewhere.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Going to post this here for visibility, and because it does become a purely political issue.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.casd.626722/gov.uscourts.casd.626722.1.0.pdf

This is the result of an FOIA request, 8chan affidavit, regarding the shooting in California back in April. Obviously has some language.

Page 29, though.

Ignoring that they printed out and scanned screenshots... there are "(you)" tags in the thread. Those tags only exist and are shown to the person involved in the thread. So if I posted in a thread, and people responded to me, I would see "(you)" on those posts and responses.

Why is the intelligence community participating in an 8chan thread on a shooting? Or is there another plausible explanation?

I think it'd be silly to assume the government doesn't regularly take part in or monitor places like that... nor do I know how significant those posts were to the thread. Just a weird oversight that raises questions.

Well, related to "8chan"...
    Having gubmint say they're gonna make people discussing conspiracy theories "terrorism" should be quite the little eye opener. And just where is that going to go if you donate to an organization that is so declared based upon them not buying the disinformation du jour? Financial corporations get the hint real quick when a functionary says to them so and so is now labeled a terrorist because if business is yet done with them then all assets of the financial institution can be subject to seizure. Is that is going to apply to John Q. (no pun intended) Public as well? If he's not already stump broke then you might want to keep an eye on what your pastor is saying as there could be more at risk than just his tax exempt status.

Subsequently added note with link...
    This broadcast is from last Friday. Speaks to this and much more.
    https://www.trunews.com/stream/terr...-for-ocean-based-super-state-for-global-elite

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dem House Candidate: Calling Dems ‘Clowns’ Is White Supremacist Slur

Holy **** these clowns

giphy.gif

Status