The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Read the first ten or so comments, it will save me the trouble of raising the same issues

CBS News White House correspondent. Not where I'd go for the unvarnished truth, but whatevs

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Did you read the comments? He cites the official Indian gov't statement but merely says Trump claimed Modi invited him to mediate and references Trump saying that 'yesterday'. Why not link to the tweet if there is one? I went back through the 21st on @POTUS and could find no such claim (you owe me ten minutes of my life). If you want to argue a particular interpretation of events, why not cite all of your sources - you know like a transcript of the remarks that are in question

I'm perfectly willing to believe Trump is out over his skis, but I'm equally willing to believe a CBS correspondent would shade his presentation to fit his employers narrative. An incomplete, one-sided presentation doesn't make me favor his version, but perhaps this is how twitter is done? You tell me, I wouldn't know

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Did you read the comments? He cites the official Indian gov't statement but merely says Trump claimed Modi invited him to mediate and references Trump saying that 'yesterday'. Why not link to the tweet if there is one? I went back through the 21st on @POTUS and could find no such claim (you owe me ten minutes of my life). If you want to argue a particular interpretation of events, why not cite all of your sources - you know like a transcript of the remarks that are in question

I'm perfectly willing to believe Trump is out over his skis, but I'm equally willing to believe a CBS correspondent would shade his presentation to fit his employers narrative. An incomplete, one-sided presentation doesn't make me favor his version, but perhaps this is how twitter is done? You tell me, I wouldn't know

Before you bristle too much, the 'you' I'm referencing in the color-highlighted part is Knoller, not GP

Edit: Does twitter just assume that everybody has been following all the episodes and is keeping up witha story line? They have chosen unwisely

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Khan of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan Before Bilateral Meeting - White House Transcript

Looks like this is the part they're looking at:

PRIME MINISTER KHAN: I will be asking President Trump. He’s — it’s the most powerful country in the world, the United States. It can play the most important role in bringing peace in the subcontinent. You know, there are over a — over a billion and a quarter people in the subcontinent. They are held hostage to the issue of Kashmir. And I feel that only the most powerful state, headed by President Trump, can bring the two countries together.

From my point, I can tell you, we have tried our best. We’ve made all overtures to India to start dialogue, resolve our differences through dialogue. But unfortunately, we haven’t made headways as yet. But I’m hoping that President Trump would push this process.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: So I was with — I was with Prime Minister Modi two weeks ago, and we talked about this subject. And he actually said, “Would you like to be a mediator or arbitrator?” I said, “Where?” He said, “Kashmir.” Because this has been going on for many, many years. I was surprised at how long; it’s been going on a long —

PRIME MINISTER KHAN: Seventy years.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: And I think they’d like to see it resolved. And I think you’d like to see it resolved. And if I can help, I would love to be a mediator

So it's down to he-said/she-said.

Going back to my thoughts that Knoller is a good guy. He's an outlier as far as CBS is concerned. Does his job well, and he's someone I've, over time, grown to take his words at their value.

Edit: Does twitter just assume that everybody has been following all the episodes and is keeping up with a story line? They have chosen unwisely

Limited amount of space to work with. Got to assume people won't question everything. He was also probably discussing it over a series of tweets going on around that hour, so that would probably add more context.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Presidents lie. Not an excuse, but just stating the facts. I guess some of the lie for political reasons. Kinda looks like Trump does it more to puff himself up. What I find most interesting is this as an indication of the place we have in the world as a nation; the respect we command. India is an ally. If Obama lied about a conversation with an ally would the ally call him out on it? I don't think so. And I think that says a couple of things. 1) We probably aren't as respected in the world as we once were. 2) Trump seems to have drawn considerable contempt from around the world. Some earned, some not.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    All I could find is that Knoller was the unofficial timekeeper on presidential leisure time and served as a source of information for other news outlets about that. I couldn't find much else from or about him . For instance he's written just once for RCP in the last seven years and has very little op-ed presence, so it's hard to get a read on him and any ideology he might harbor. That could be a good thing in that it indicates he isn't ideological

That said, wouldn't it have been simple when referring to something you assert POTUS said to just link to a tweet or story from your own organization? I've seen plenty of people just overflow one tweet into the next to get more space and I don't think a link takes up that much space. I did go and skim every Knoller tweet back to the beginning of 21 July and nothing referring to any other source or pretty much the whole controversy until the official Indian.gov denial. On the one hand I can see that if he is just reporting events at the white house it could go down that way, but you'd think that Trump making the original claim would have been something he would have noted as newsworthy. And when you skip part of the story and only present said story when it turns into an embarrassment, it doesn't increase my belief in a reporter's objectivity

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    India has it's own political mess. The people against mediation are saying stuff they don't know. They are denying any "Official" request for mediation and I believe they are telling the truth there but the matter is not about any "Official" request so it is meaningless. The denials are from other people, NOT from PM Modi so they are speculating. Of course the leftist media is jumping in with mouth wide open even though they do not know the truth either. They just want to show off their TDS. I'll wait for some facts to appear.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/k...arendra-modi-pakistan-imran-khan-2241721.html

EDIT: - Looks like they took that article down and it redirects the link to some other story. Too bad, it was pretty good but I can't find it now. A little censoring going on maybe.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom