• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Haven't watched the whole thing, but I'm pleased to see adult conversations being held by at least one major party in the US.

Free College, Free Healthcare...sounds like the Democrat Party wants to liberate people from having to grow up. That's not "adult." It's never-ending adolescence. ("Change Your Inner Teenager Can Believe In").

...sure seems to resonate with some folks, though.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Trillions in bailouts to the banks to prop up their balance sheets. Free money, while buying treasury bonds with it that earn interest from the government. Who is the biggest welfare queen in America? It has to be the 10 largest banks.

Forgiveness of ordinary income tax on hedge fund managers' investment earnings to a lower favorable capital gains rates. Other Americans pay ordinary income tax on earnings from their stock in trade.

While I don't agree with "free college" per se, the plan would cost a little less than $50 billion per year. The war on terror costs more than 10 times that on an annual basis and has resulted in war dead, suicide, disfigurement, disability, and the breakup of families. And we sit here today with the Taliban retaking control of Afghanistan and ISIL a more evil group than Hussein ever thought of being.

So, you tell me that education of our young is not adult thinking. I'd say that maybe you haven't thought it through at all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trillions in bailouts to the banks to prop up their balance sheets. Free money, while buying treasury bonds with it that earn interest from the government. Who is the biggest welfare queen in America? It has to be the 10 largest banks.

Forgiveness of ordinary income tax on hedge fund managers' investment earnings to a lower favorable capital gains rates. Other Americans pay ordinary income tax on earnings from their stock in trade.

While I don't agree with "free college" per se, the plan would cost a little less than $50 billion per year. The war on terror costs more than 10 times that on an annual basis and has resulted in war dead, suicide, disfigurement, disability, and the breakup of families. And we sit here today with the Taliban retaking control of Afghanistan and ISIL a more evil group than Hussein ever thought of being.

So, you tell me that education of our young is not adult thinking. I'd say that maybe you haven't thought it through at all.
    Education of our young is adult thinking. I'd bet that no Republican in the race disagrees that we need to educate our young. It's not adult thinking that the burden of paying for it should land on taxpayers. I don't, nor should I expect you to pay for my son's education.

And frankly, the whole idea that Democrats' debate was more "adult" is absurd. People need to quit equating their own pet ideologies as the "smart" ones and others are the "dumb" ones. That's intellectual dishonesty. Dumb people tend to make some ideologies seem dumb.

Sarah Palin isn't a great representative for conservatism. But it's not like liberals don't have Sarah Palin analogs. The Republican debates went as they did because of what the moderators wanted them to become. Ask either side adult questions, even hard hitting ones, and you'll mostly get adult answers. You may disagree ideologically. But you're intellectually dishonest if you think that makes your side adult and the other not.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If you pay property taxes, you already pay to educate youngsters. Post-secondary education is a longer-term strategy to keep America competitive. As we have become a service economy, thinking has to be the strength that we rely on rather than our strong backs. Frankly, I don't mind helping to fund the education of future generations. We reap the benefits in untold numbers of ways. Good products and services, and less criminal behavior are only two examples.

An analog to Sarah Palin....hmmm, probably out there. I sure hope they don't run for VP, however.

I'll stand by remark about the "adult" debate until such time as the republicans get serious about their race.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    dem-debate.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Trillions in bailouts to the banks...So, you tell me that education of our young is not adult thinking. I'd say that maybe you haven't thought it through at all.

I voted for my school levy, & have the property tax bill to prove it. "Adult."

You, on the other hand, are going to vote to have the person who _P_resided over the repeal of Glass-Steagall residing in the White House again.

I don't think you've thought it through.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Correct. When you choose to live in liberal states, you get liberal laws. That's why I live here, and obviously why I'm arguing with you about this national election.

We are only a few million illegal alien voters away from losing the 2A altogether. ;)

And an Isis invasion through Mexico, if you believe my grandparents.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I voted for my school levy, & have the property tax bill to prove it. "Adult."

You, on the other hand, are going to vote to have the person who _P_resided over the repeal of Glass-Steagall residing in the White House again.

I don't think you've thought it through.

If you are observing that I will vote for Hillary, you are forgiven for not seeing my prior comments on other threads. I wouldn't vote for Hillary is she was the only person running for president. I'll take a chance on Bernie because I believe him to be a man of personal integrity. Even though I don't agree with him on many things, I do believe he understands that "We the people" does not mean corporations.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ............ Frankly, I don't mind helping to fund the education of future generations. .................

Ok, on the higher education front........

The costs of college tuition has skyrocketed faster than inflation. How does that happen?
    Well, look to who is in charge of our institutions of higher learning and who is providing the loans for students to attend.
    People are taking on a mountain of debt, the colleges are swimming in cash (tax money) and it keeps going up.
    Then you get some people (libs) who want to forgive these loans, government (tax payers) become the funding for "private" schools.
    It's a wealth transfer, push liberal philosophy in college, more votes for liberal candidates who will continue the trend.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If you are observing that I will vote for Hillary, you are forgiven for not seeing my prior comments on other threads. I wouldn't vote for Hillary is she was the only person running for president. I'll take a chance on Bernie because I believe him to be a man of personal integrity. Even though I don't agree with him on many things, I do believe he understands that "We the people" does not mean corporations.

Bernie, among other things want me to give up three of my rifles for openers. How does that square with "We the People"?

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I didn't see the blue. ;) I thought this was a discussion thread about the enemy?

How could any member of a forum with gun owner in the title, respectfully suggest that they might even entertain the thought of voting for one of these candidates who proclaim they will take away your rights and take your guns?

I can answer that. If I have to choose between someone who will take away my right to own guns, vs. someone else's right to marry who they choose, then it would be selfish to vote in my own self-interest at the expense of someone else's. Who am I to say that my rights are more important than theirs?

HawgdawgLS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    US
    I can answer that. If I have to choose between someone who will take away my right to own guns, vs. someone else's right to marry who they choose, then it would be selfish to vote in my own self-interest at the expense of someone else's. Who am I to say that my rights are more important than theirs?

Its interesting that you bring up gay marriage because the legal arguments used to force states to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples are the same or very similar arguments that force states to comply with the 2nd Amendment.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you pay property taxes, you already pay to educate youngsters. Post-secondary education is a longer-term strategy to keep America competitive. As we have become a service economy, thinking has to be the strength that we rely on rather than our strong backs. Frankly, I don't mind helping to fund the education of future generations. We reap the benefits in untold numbers of ways. Good products and services, and less criminal behavior are only two examples.

An analog to Sarah Palin....hmmm, probably out there. I sure hope they don't run for VP, however.

I'll stand by remark about the "adult" debate until such time as the republicans get serious about their race.

Well THAT'S [STRIKE]an interesting[/STRIKE] a petty false dichotomy you have going there. Paying even higher taxes to fund Brittany's degree in Suburban Fashion Technology is "adult". Leaving it up to Brittany and/or her parents is not? I paid for my 6 years of college from flat broke. My parents couldn't pay for it. Asking for other people to be responsible for themselves is a very adult thing to ask. Like I said, claiming that everyone who disagrees with your ideology is not adult is intellectually dishonest.

And I don't mind if you don't mind helping fund future generations. Please do give generously from what you have. I just mind if you demand that I have to fund the future generation YOU want. It's not that I mind helping fund future generations. I do give to charities that help fund scholarships for the things I believe are important. The government shouldn't be all that powerful that it can force people to provide charity for things it believes are important.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Its interesting that you bring up gay marriage because the legal arguments used to force states to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples are the same or very similar arguments that force states to comply with the 2nd Amendment.

Hey, if we can expand freedom to marry and freedom to carry, that's a win win in my book.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well THAT'S [STRIKE]an interesting[/STRIKE] a petty false dichotomy you have going there. Paying even higher taxes to fund Brittany's degree in Suburban Fashion Technology is "adult". Leaving it up to Brittany and/or her parents is not? I paid for my 6 years of college from flat broke. My parents couldn't pay for it. Asking for other people to be responsible for themselves is a very adult thing to ask. Like I said, claiming that everyone who disagrees with your ideology is not adult is intellectually dishonest.

And I don't mind if you don't mind helping fund future generations. Please do give generously from what you have. I just mind if you demand that I have to fund the future generation YOU want. It's not that I mind helping fund future generations. I do give to charities that help fund scholarships for the things I believe are important. The government shouldn't be all that powerful that it can force people to provide charity for things it believes are important.

The "adult" adjective was applied by me to the debates. Not, methinks, to the members of this forum....although those calling democrats traitors in another thread is said behind the safety of a keyboard and wouldn't be advisable in front of some of us.

I paid for my education as well. And it took the GI Bill along with working 20 hours or so a week to help afford some of it. We can argue about it til the cows come home, but education is how we win in the long run. I think scholarship is more important than sports, but it seems that most folks don't have a problem throwing a ton of cash and taxes at sports venues.

This is a much different world than it was in the 70's. I don't know when it changed to "I got mine, go get yours" from a sense of community, but I think it stinks and I also believe that attitude will be the ruin of this nation.

Top Bottom