• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

"A public elementary or secondary school shall display in a conspicuous place in each classroom of the school a durable poster or framed copy of the Ten Commandments,"

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I was a teacher in Georgia when they removed the 10 Commandments from the walls inside the school and had a sudden rash of thefts...student items, teacher items, etc.
    At the next teacher in-service day, they had several people speak on how to 'secure' personal and professional items so as to avoid or reduce the number of thefts in the school...
    One of the 'suggestions' by a fellow teacher was, "Why don't we put signs on the walls that say, 'DO NOT STEAL!' I raised a hand and responded with, "We HAD a sign that said that...but it got taken down!"
    Needless to say the discussion suddenly became very heated...with a lot of 'discussion' on both sides...some of it simultaneously!!! I, wisely, stayed quiet and, a few minutes later, exited the room and headed down to the Athletic Training Center to start getting athletes ready for their afternoon practices! Note: I wasn't particularly known for being 'P-C' down there....

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You guys really can't see why making it mandatory to display a religious symbol in every school would be problematic? It should be OK for a school to choose to display them. It is not OK for the government to mandate it.

I'm sure you would all be fine if an Islamic equivalent were the one that was required.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You guys really can't see why making it mandatory to display a religious symbol in every school would be problematic? It should be OK for a school to choose to display them. It is not OK for the government to mandate it.

I'm sure you would all be fine if an Islamic equivalent were the one that was required.

Equally as bad to NOT allow it though. Most public schools you would not be allowed to have the 10 commandments on the wall. But I agree choice is the best option.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Like history shows, schools were funded and ran by parents, no government. Parents gave up that right and started handing their kids to the public government controlled schools. Then government took complete control and kicked God out and parents just didn’t care and keep sending kids there, it’s the babysitter they dreamed of. The cell phones are the 2nd babysitter. If you don’t want to raise your kids why did you even have them? This is a broad picture I’m painting and not true for everyone. But I think most will see, it’s not just schools and government. We failed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like history shows, schools were funded and ran by parents, no government. Parents gave up that right and started handing their kids to the public government controlled schools. Then government took complete control and kicked God out and parents just didn’t care and keep sending kids there, it’s the babysitter they dreamed of. The cell phones are the 2nd babysitter. If you don’t want to raise your kids why did you even have them? This is a broad picture I’m painting and not true for everyone. But I think most will see, it’s not just schools and government. We failed.
    What we’re experiencing today in our public schools was predicted in the 19th century.

"But nearly all public men and divines declare that the State schools are the glory of America, that they are a finality, and in no event to be surrendered. We have seen that their complete secularization is logically inevitable. Christians must prepare themselves then, for the following results: All prayer, catechisms, and Bibles will ultimately be driven out of the schools."

Robert Dabney

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    We've worked for 70 years to diversify schools and that has benefits but it also creates a diverse set of parents with a diverse set of expectations and standards. This inevitably pits neighbors against each other as they must fight for what they want for their kid.

The answer is a voucher system and magnet schools so that parents have some choice in the type of school their kids can attend. The vouchers could be cashed in to help defray the cost of homeschooling or private schools.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a Catholic, I think it is probably crossing the line as for a seperation of church and state.
    As a Baptist, I agree.

Forcing it in schools reeks of Christian Nationalism. There's a discomforting trend to remove one set of ideology and replace it with another right now. Even if I 100% agree with that ideology, I still can disagree with the method of its placement.

Both sides need to stop using schools as their battleground.

Even though the ten commandments is really just basic guide on how to be a decent human being.
    Sure, the second half.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If hanging a sign in a school made any difference, there'd be no school shootings. We are long past the time where "putting prayer back in schools" or displaying 10 Commandments will do any good. The problem is far upstream from any of that stuff and conservatives seem to only be interested in fighting battles that will do nothing to resolve the issues.

Case in point:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    What we’re experiencing today in our public schools was predicted in the 19th century.

"But nearly all public men and divines declare that the State schools are the glory of America, that they are a finality, and in no event to be surrendered. We have seen that their complete secularization is logically inevitable. Christians must prepare themselves then, for the following results: All prayer, catechisms, and Bibles will ultimately be driven out of the schools."

Robert Dabney
    Thanks for sharing that, had never read or seen that before.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Robert Dabney
    So, the answer to that is to drive it in?

We're afraid that prayer, and religious practices in general, is going to be forced out (despite that the Supreme Court has been upholding these freedoms), so we're going to counter it by forcing schools to be tacitly Judeo-Christian.

I don't think I'm cool with that. (I'm also not cool with Dabney)

If you're worried about losing freedom, the answer isn't to take away others' freedom.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You know what also used to happen back when we had the pledge and prayers.

We used to hold people accountable for their actions.

I think think we should start there

I also think I would rather them hang the Bill Of Rights instead of the 10 commandments.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Under the "equality of the law" and all, you know if they are allowed to put up the 10 commandments, they will also be forced to put up the satanic version, and every other "religion" will be allowed to do the same.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, the answer to that is to drive it in?

We're afraid that prayer, and religious practices in general, is going to be forced out (despite that the Supreme Court has been upholding these freedoms), so we're going to counter it by forcing schools to be tacitly Judeo-Christian.

I don't think I'm cool with that. (I'm also not cool with Dabney)

If you're worried about losing freedom, the answer isn't to take away others' freedom.
    Ok

Top Bottom