• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Preparation - the actions and plans you put in practice, to mitigate the negative effects of an event.

So, we are already getting some good gusts of wind here on the homestead. There's a possibility of tornadoes. I've already checked the back yard, and the hatches are battened down. Should go out and put a couple cinder blocks on the canoe.

So, are you prepared for today's weather?

Might be a good time to contact local members of your MSG.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I started getting things ready last night. Took our flags down, put up all the cushions off the porch chairs, umbrella taken down on the deck. Went downstairs this morning to check on the sump pump, and made sure the battery back up was fully charged and ready to roll. It's not looking so good here in Southern Indiana, the sky is a scary looking color, and the winds have already started to blow. I work about 5 miles from the KY/IN border, and live 20 miles north of here. Everybody be safe, and remember......it's not the wind that's dangerous, it's whats blowing IN the wind !!

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Everything outside has been put away.
    Flashlights and radio are ready.
    All I have to do is get the girls into the basement.
    I live less than 5 min. away from the Ohio on the IN/KY border.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The only consolation:

The front is moving so fast that the worst of it will be over rather quickly.

Due to my extremely tech-savvy self, I can tell you that winds are steady at around 24mph in West Union, Illinois (With max. gusts just below 40mph). Unfortunately, this data is a few hours old.

On Indy's east side: Only 10mph and 25, respectively.

IDEM Continuous Air Quality Monitoring <----- IDEM's air monitoring data. The link just above the radar picture takes you to all kinds of government data goodness.

-J-

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We had some big wind gusts here last night and I have to do a shingle check on the roof when the sun comes up a little more. It is nice to see that some powerful gusts are on their way to help out an already great day. A tornado definitely would hit us hard since my parents live only a mile away and her parents live only a block away.(That really sucks by the way)

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The front edge is just hitting us. One secretary had her husband call to tell her that the powere is out at their home. The other's mother just called and said they have a tree down in their front yard. Our power just flickered.

We are lighting candles.

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Looks like the worst is through here. Radio is reporting some areas without power. Ours flickered but stayed on. From the sound of things it is worse to the north.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wind has died down here for now. Sky is brighter. Really need to setup a wind/rain station.

The chickens are in their pen. Had been in their coop, even though it was a semi light sky. Took flags down, put cinder block on canoe.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Columbus is getting hammered right now, sirens were going a few minutes ago, got the kid dressed, myself dressed, flashlights and candles ready just in case, already had a couple power flickers earlier.
    Looks like we're about halfway done with it (radar on weatherunderground.com)
    Weather radio beside me.

Hope it's over before my drive to Greensburg for my interview later, lol.

I LOVE this weather!

Top Bottom