• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Shot my first animal ever this evening! Mom's had a rabbit problem in her garden so I got my .22 out and camped for awhile. Eventually one of the little varmints wandered out into the open and I shot off a round at it. I hit it, but the little b****** took off before I could finish the job! Needless to say, I'm excited about this and I'll definately be trying this again.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    Its not uncommon for rabbits to run a little ways after being shot with a .22 but before succumbing to the wound. I've had a rabbit leave a string of intestines running away from the garden and I finally found it still alive in the back of our old shed. if its worth shooting, its worth tracking down and humanely finishing. head shots are the best option if you don't want to chase them, and chasing them down to finish them is the only humane option when they run off wounded.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    good job. sounds like when i deal with cats pestering the chickens.. you ever seen a cat hit with an arrow at 50 yards? buddy done it.. i prefer a chemically induced route.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why would you shoot a cat with an arrow?

Why not?

Think it OK to shoot deer with an arrow? Cat is much smaller so the broadhead by scale should be more humane.

Feral cats are a very real problem and F&W folks have been blasting them on sight for decades.

They just don't talk about it.

Really simple, love your cat? Keep that animal on your property.

If it comes onto mine and messes with my birds and bunnies, or gets in my trash I'll nuke it.

Raised show cats as a kid, have 3 pet cats now. I don't let mine out of the house.

Even the place I used to deer hunt had a rule............and the guy a big time cat lover, had stable and oat bin...........any cat outside the 100 yd radius was fair game.

People dumped their cats off there and they got his mousers sick, he couldn't treat them all. So he asked me to keep the numbers low by killing those that did not stay close (as his pet versions kept close to the house).

Unfortunately all the cats over time drew in coyotes, who ended up eating his pets, one right off his deck, in front of his kids (they watching kitty sun from the window). Upset the kids greatly, this in deer season.

He told me of the coyote, and sure enough I wacked one with my bow the next day. He kinda freaked when I aksed if he wanted to open it up and see if his cat was inside LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I kill it.. I skin it, cook it and eat it, if you don't do this.. you have some serious issues!

I'm not eating any rats or coyotes. I blast chucks for farmers in the summer, use frangible bullets too. Bloodshot, flat out destroyed meat, metal fragments, have to drag a cooler around..........some rather old/big.........nope.

I also blast pigeons out of barns............not gonna eat 'em.

Screw whoever thinks I should.

Last edited:

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm not eating any rats or coyotes. I blast chucks for farmers in the summer, use frangible bullets too. Bloodshot, flat our destroyed, metal fragments, have to drag a cooler around..........some rather old/big.........nope.

I'll gladly eat a rabbit the next time I go out and actually manage to catch and kill one. I've had it before and I enjoyed it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    -1 for the dude shooting at cats with a bow and arrow. -1 to anyone thinking that is remotely "cool".

I think any good shot on a game animal or pest to be cool.
    A "companion" animal is an animal.
    If one loves that type more than another, so be it.
    Keep it as a companion, don't let it run wild as then it changes status.
    In fact, it falls below that of a game animal, and as such should be shot for being a threat to game and non game natives.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm not eating any rats or coyotes. I blast chucks for farmers in the summer, use frangible bullets too. Bloodshot, flat our destroyed, metal fragments, have to drag a cooler around..........some rather old/big.........nope.

i like this guy... :rockwoot:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I am not saying there is anything wrong with killing a cat. Especially a feral. Hell, my girlfriends mom has had to replace about nine pool covers over the course of three years because of stray cats scratching them all to hell. But with a bow and arrow? Come on.. I wouldn't.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    we make it humane.. and we can do those kinda of shots.. the kids were playing so we opted for the quiet route. nothing to it. deed is done and i still get eggs.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am not saying there is anything wrong with killing a cat. Especially a feral. Hell, my girlfriends mom has had to replace about nine pool covers over the course of three years because of stray cats scratching them all to hell. But with a bow and arrow? Come on.. I wouldn't.

As long as you don't let it sit there and suffer I can't see any difference between a bow, gun, or any other method of killing them. A well placed bow shot can kill one as humanely as anything else, and it's a lot less likely to startle any neighbors.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I killed one with a bow while deer hunting years ago. It killed three quail for the sport of it and just walked off. Would have been different if it ate them.
    It was just as humane or more so than with a gun. I will not go into details, but it did not move from where it was hit,. I have shot others with a .22 that did not fair as well, or succumb as quick.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As long as the shot is good and using a razor sharp broadhead..........why does a cat differ from a rabbit or deer?

Agree, that using field point arrows is a no-no. But then we've seen a few media blitzes of such hits, and while they look horrific to the untrained.........most of the critters survived, made full recoveries.

Why?

Because a field point arrow does MINIMAL damage. It's designed for targets and nobody likes their targets to get shot out too quickly. Fieldpoints push aside material. Shoot an animal and most times tissue slides away from the tip.

Even if an organ is punctured the damage is minimal (compared to bullet) and the critter could possibly recover.

Hell, even broadhead hit animals have made full recoveries, but that usually when fringe hit or meat damage only- due to bone stopping penetration from organs.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    You let that cat crawl to a neighbors house and they notify the authorities and the papers and see if you fall in the majority on how cool that is... Animals that are dispatched should be done so in the quickest most efficient way possible. A nuissance animal is no less deserving of a quick death. IMO, this seemingly nonchalant attitude in the deaths of the animals indirectly reflect poorly on the hunting community when there are other options readily available(such as live traps/humane society). If animal control was called and the decision to dispatch an animal was made, would they use a bow and arrow? I would place this practice at about the same level as a canned hunt.

To reiterate, I am not voicing my opinion on the validity of the neccessity for the cat to be dispatched but rather the means.

Top Bottom