• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    That's a really stupid law, you need a permit to kill it, but you can't harvest it?

What are you supposed to do with it then.. have a funeral for it and bury it?

I wouldn't doubt it.. only in Indiana.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    What about stray cats that are eating all your pets food. you live in a town with a no discharge of firearms ordnance that includes air rifles. so go for the bow. quiet more effective than a 22 if using broadheads and a nuisance animal is still just that a nuisance.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That's a really stupid law, you need a permit to kill it, but you can't harvest it?

They are making a distinction between killing a pest and taking a game anmal.

If they let folks kill game animals as nuisance and eat them, that would be in effect- hunting out of season.

So..........when one kills it as a nuisance animal, it must remain one even in carcass form.

It actually makes sense (at least to me).

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    They are making a distinction between killing a pest and taking a game anmal.

If they let folks kill game animals as nuisance and eat them, that would be in effect- hunting out of season.

So..........when one kills it as a nuisance animal, it must remain one even in carcass form.

It actually makes sense (at least to me).

When you put it that way, it actually makes a lot more sense

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    For those who dont see a reason to shoot feral cats, do a little research. Feral cats are an invasive species which destroy populations of game animals and spread disease amongst domesticated animals. As far as I'm concerned they can eat all the rabbits they can get ahold of, but they are quite so picky and thus decimate populations of quail and pheasants. As a previous posters mentioned, having a pet cat is fine, just keep it off my property.I see no issue with using a bow if the shooter is a good enough shot to make a humane kill. In certain areas (near houses or other people for example) a bow might represent the safest way of dispatching a feral cat.

And to those who advocate eating what you kill, I agree in most cases, but when was the last time you fried up a mouse you caught in a trap? Some animals have to be destroyed for one reason or another.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    cci-sting.jpg

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    For those who dont see a reason to shoot feral cats, do a little research. Feral cats are an invasive species which destroy populations of game animals and spread disease amongst domesticated animals. As far as I'm concerned they can eat all the rabbits they can get ahold of, but they are quite so picky and thus decimate populations of quail and pheasants. As a previous posters mentioned, having a pet cat is fine, just keep it off my property.I see no issue with using a bow if the shooter is a good enough shot to make a humane kill. In certain areas (near houses or other people for example) a bow might represent the safest way of dispatching a feral cat.

And to those who advocate eating what you kill, I agree in most cases, but when was the last time you fried up a mouse you caught in a trap? Some animals have to be destroyed for one reason or another.
    This post is an interesting read, but not to be a smart a--. I saw a program along time back where a nature student was filming wolves in the wild and he was camping across a pond where wild wolves showed up a few times a day, every day. The wolves came to eat the field mice, and drink from the pond. After a short time the student began eating the mice also. He lived off of the mice until his study was finished. It was in Canada or Alaska I dont remember. He made stew out of the mice never fried em up. OK, carry on. :):

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Although I myself would never shoot a cat, feral or otherwise, I agree. Making this a felony is absolutely ridiculous. IMHO it would be much more reasonable to simply fine you or something.

but it is the law.. when this bill was in state congress there was almost zero objection to it.. no one pointed out the problem stray cats pose to the ground bird populations..

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    and you have a firearm that is more quiet than a bow? its either the stray cat or the chickens.. stray cat going bye bye

I use 22shorts... Not as quiet as an arrow though.

To the OP that got the rabbit, I hope ou cleaned it and prepped it for a meal later. Rabbit is damn good eating!

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I use 22shorts... Not as quiet as an arrow though.

To the OP that got the rabbit, I hope ou cleaned it and prepped it for a meal later. Rabbit is damn good eating!

I actually tried rabbit at a Boy Scout outing and it was the first time I ever ate it. The mother of a friend, who is a big survival enthusiast (I swear you could leave her stranded in the woods for a month and you'd come back to find out she's the new Queen of the Forest) actually brought a live rabbit that we killed and cooked on a spit we made at our campsite. It was "damn good eating!"

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    This post is an interesting read, but not to be a smart a--. I saw a program along time back where a nature student was filming wolves in the wild and he was camping across a pond where wild wolves showed up a few times a day, every day. The wolves came to eat the field mice, and drink from the pond. After a short time the student began eating the mice also. He lived off of the mice until his study was finished. It was in Canada or Alaska I dont remember. He made stew out of the mice never fried em up. OK, carry on. :):

My point was more that feral cats are vermin, the cause for killing them is not for sport as with hunting but more out of necessity, as you might do with a mouse in your kitchen. If someone wants to eat the mice they trap, more power to them, but I dont view eating nuisance anmals, be they mice or feral cats, with the same moral necessity as I do a deer or pheasant I take for sport.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    CO advise in my experience isn't always what the law says.

This has been my experience also.

I actually just talked to a Conservation Officer over the phone on my lunch break and, the lady I talked to on the phone said that I was fine.

I think often the obscure laws are created for those who would take advantage of "loopholes."

What about rabbit fever? Isn't that a concern?
    Tularemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    My point was more that feral cats are vermin, the cause for killing them is not for sport as with hunting but more out of necessity, as you might do with a mouse in your kitchen. If someone wants to eat the mice they trap, more power to them, but I dont view eating nuisance anmals, be they mice or feral cats, with the same moral necessity as I do a deer or pheasant I take for sport.

you eat em? im all about knowing i can make a shot and enjoying the thrill, but i gut, hang, skin, and butcher mine.. the cost of meat going up, my quota this year as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    just be sure it is a feral cat that never leaves your property. Killing a cat is a felony now and feral cats are protected in some counties..

Killing a somebody's pet may be a felony.

Big difference in hating one's neighbor and blasting their cat in their yard because they play music too loud vs
    shooting a cat that has been left to roam free for months, on your property, that has done damage.

Of course a troublesome neighbor might try to make claims of your actions as being something else............and then the lawyers get to play on your dime.

Do what you gotta do, but employ stealth and S, S and S.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom