• ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    G5-Striker-Broadhead.jpg

these... do more damage to a cat than a .22 all day long. hands down.

available at your local walmart.. striker broadheads..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So you take issue with archery tackle then.

How many animals have you shot with a bow?

I double lunged a deer and it continued to feed after the arrow blew clean through. It merely flinched and looked around, walked away browsing with another, wobbled and fell over dead.

I've shot several deer that made 3 leaps or so, wobbled and fell over. Most trot off and go a ways and then flop. Seen a few go mach damnit for 50 yards and then blackout, do a flip or spin..........dead in seconds man.

There is minimal shock with an arrow wound, the arrow kills by hemorrhage. It in effect, puts them to sleep.

People shot with hunting arrows in accidents have said it felt like a sapling snapped back and hit them. Some recovered, some died.........and some that died were rather calm about it. Not much structural damage, just couldn't quit bleeding.

Arrows can be humane, even if you choose to not believe it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    G5-Striker-Broadhead.jpg

these... do more damage to a cat than a .22 all day long. hands down.

available at your local walmart.. striker broadheads..

I took a doe with one. Went 30 yards and bounced off a tree, wobbled and fell over. Kicked 2 maybe 3 times and was dead. Bloodtrail was OK, but I thought the Magnum version might be better. Clipped shoulderblade going in, shattered offside leg on exit. Never did find the head, my arrow exploded on a rock after it blew through. G5 Striker on GT 55/75Pro series. Expensive shot.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I took a doe with one. Went 30 yards and bounced off a tree, wobbled and fell over. Kicked 2 maybe 3 times and was dead. Bloodtrail was OK, but I thought the Magnum version might be better. Clipped shoulderblade going in, shattered offside leg on exit. Never did find the head, my arrow exploded on a rock after it blew through. G5 Striker on GT 55/75Pro series. Expensive shot.
    they are expensive, but when your deer hunting grounds are out the back door, they are whats in the quiver. :dunno:.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    You let that cat crawl to a neighbors house and they notify the authorities and the papers and see if you fall in the majority on how cool that is... Animals that are dispatched should be done so in the quickest most efficient way possible. A nuissance animal is no less deserving of a quick death. IMO, this seemingly nonchalant attitude in the deaths of the animals indirectly reflect poorly on the hunting community when there are other options readily available(such as live traps/humane society). If animal control was called and the decision to dispatch an animal was made, would they use a bow and arrow? I would place this practice at about the same level as a canned hunt.

To reiterate, I am not voicing my opinion on the validity of the neccessity for the cat to be dispatched but rather the means.

Understood.

I changed my mind on the details, for the sake of arguement.

I once saw my neighbor shoot a cat with a .22 rifle, and it ran over 100 yards and died at the feet of the owner of the cat. (My other neighbor). :poop:

The one I took with the bow while deer hunting, was cut clear in half through the rib cage, except fo a little piece of skin, and it went no where.
    Yes... very humane...it never even knew.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I wonder why the army does not issue bows to our troops(for the moment let us exclude Rambo and his explosive tipped arrows)? If your answer is distance and someone firing back and greater volume of projectiles capability sent down range, I wonder why firing squads did not use bows? I have no issue with "archery tackle" or the hunting of deer with bows.

If you had to feed your family on what you drug back to the house or your family dies, what are you going to use and why? I am not talking about being quiet so the zombies or marauders do not hear you. I am saying you are flat broke beyond all imagination and have not eaten in 2 weeks.

I am not disputing the killing potential of bows and arrows. I am saying there are better options out there for the task of dealing with feral cats.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I wonder why the army does not issue bows to our troops(for the moment let us exclude Rambo and his explosive tipped arrows)? If your answer is distance and someone firing back and greater volume of projectiles capability sent down range, I wonder why firing squads did not use bows? I have no issue with "archery tackle" or the hunting of deer with bows.

If you had to feed your family on what you drug back to the house or your family dies, what are you going to use and why? I am not talking about being quiet so the zombies or marauders do not hear you. I am saying you are flat broke beyond all imagination and have not eaten in 2 weeks.

I am not disputing the killing potential of bows and arrows. I am saying there are better options out there for the task of dealing with feral cats.
    you brought that into the debate.. now the whole "moral and respect" thing is gone.. im probably going to grab it and break its neck by hand or snare it.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am reminded of the story in the paper some time ago, complete with a picture of the live cat with the arrow through its head. Granted, this cat was not shot with the latest technology in broadheads. I would say that in the hands of a skilled archer, this method may be very lethal. I would also say that few have the required skill set to take this shot with confidence and surety.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    you brought that into the debate.. now the whole "moral and respect" thing is gone.. im probably going to grab it and break its neck by hand or snare it.

Yeah, make sure when you do grab a feral cat with the intention of snapping its neck that you get it on video. I haven't seen a cat climb somebody like a tree in a long time...

good job. sounds like when i deal with cats pestering the chickens.. you ever seen a cat hit with an arrow at 50 yards? buddy done it.. i prefer a chemically induced route.

Okay, you win. That is so cool...

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Yeah, make sure when you do grab a feral cat with the intention of snapping its neck that you get it on video. I haven't seen a cat climb somebody like a tree in a long time...

Okay, you win. That is so cool...
    awesome.. thats why i debate.. i love getting interweb points.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Firing squad- some folks have blanks, others have reg ammo (called diffusion of responsibility). Kinda hard to do with arrows.

Military- some overseas special forces still use crossbows.

Subsistence hunting- Crossbows offer short learning curve, optics and increased range. They also offer stealth if taking animals near urban areas. Would suck if trying to nuke geese flying overhead though (but then so would most firearms of non shotgun type).

As for shooting cats in the head with an arrow....................depends on animal reflexes and range, plus bow noise and type of gear. Have you ever seen a good archer using modern gear? Compound with sights and release, I can't shoot more than one broadhead arrow at my bag target at 50 yards without MAJOR RISK of ruining it with my next shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Really, if you love cats just say it. I can understand such emotion, but trying to spin emotionalism as logic just aint cutting it. You're playing the liberal's/anti hunter's game and it will always lose, esp on this forum.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm not speaking of rodents, pests or birds causing problems.. and if cats are getting to your chickens, secure your ****ing chickens better!
    secure my chickens better? do you recommend i keep them locked in the coop all day? am i in the wrong about saying the cat should secure itself off my land?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    In regard to the ORIGINAL subjct at hand.

You shot a rabbit and it is NOT rabbit season. Rabbits are considered a game animal and are protected by hunting season dates. It is illegal to shoot one unless you have special permission from a Conservation Officer.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    In regard to the ORIGINAL subjct at hand.

You shot a rabbit and it is NOT rabbit season. Rabbits are considered a game animal and are protected by hunting season dates. It is illegal to shoot one unless you have special permission from a Conservation Officer.

True. But this was on my own property.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom