• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, it's that time of year. My son likes to get very involved in the school fundraisers. He always wants to sell enough items to get that special thing that glows, spins, sprays, or does something "cool." The problem is, all the kids in the neighborhood are doing the same thing, so I have to either answer the door several times, just to tell kids I don't want to buy from them or just ignore the doorbell.

How much do the schools actually make off of these things? I would rather give $100 to the school and call it a day, but they continue to sent my son out to sell this junk! I understand it can be positioned as an opportunity for the kids to learn responsibility, but they should use the program in a math lesson to let the kids figure out how much they actually make off of each sale.

Am I wrong? Are these fundraisers a good thing and I'm just not seeing the benefit? I could donate a rifle to the school for them to auction, but I doubt they would choose to embrace the opportunity. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Fantastic.....:rolleyes:

I suppose I should look forward to the 10+ "buy crap from my kid" signs in the office break room now.

I hated these as a child, and hate them now as a parent. And my kid isn't even in school yet.

a) the public schools have already sucked me dry in taxes
    b) I've already paid for books, uniforms, supplies, etc.... How much more do you want?
    c) Seriously, how much? I'll write a check if you'll leave me alone.

Personally, I think the "sell stuff to win a prize" programs are evil and manipulative. Poor kids are conned into pimping over-priced junk for the chance at a $10 toy.

Now, sell something that folks actually WANT, for a reasonable price, and we can talk (think :GS Cookies, or those awesome yellow trash bags).

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    He doesn't have too....

Just saying, which brings me to the point...Que you want to buy stuff from my kids and I'll buy stuff from your kid???

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I would say to post a "No Soliciting" sign at your door.

Though, depending upon the age of the children, they may not know...or care....what that means.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    My mother-in-law used to hit us up to buy this sort of stuff for my brother in law (who is 13, by the way) until I pointed out the idiocy of these fundraisers.

Like others have mentioned, I pointed out that the companies, not the schools, are really making the profits off this. They do not pay for a sales force, they do not have to do much advertising, it's all a ripoff.

Basically, I'd rather the school do something directly to raise money such as their own fundraisers or, in the area I live, just pass resolutions to raise taxes to pay for more schools.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I hate fundraisers. My daughter is 4, and at their PRESCHOOL, they do 2 a year. Of course I cant let my little girl down, so I gotta peddle this crap so she can win. She has a drive for being competitive, I dont know why haha!

I HATE FUNDRAISERS! I would also prefer cutting them a check, or just walking around with a damn coffee can asking for donations, as no one is required to buy cookies at a dollar a piece, or horrible chocolate.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't know if they still do it, but when my youngest (now 14) was in Elementary School, they asked each parent to donate $50 so that the school didn't have to do these idiotic fund raisers.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just imagine if your spouse were a teacher...

Like mine.

-J-

My wife is a high school teacher.

I don't know if they still do it, but when my youngest (now 14) was in Elementary School, they asked each parent to donate $50 so that the school didn't have to do these idiotic fund raisers.

I wouldn't mind this. Also, they took school pictures this week. I can take pictures that look just as nice as the ones they package for $30-$150. I wonder how much the school gets from this? :dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife's policy on student fund raisers: First student to approach her with each fund raiser is the one who gets the sale.

As far as the kids who stop by our house: We'll generally look over the pamphlet. We've turned several away - but we have indeed bought things. Higher priority on buying things from the few kids on our street than others.

We do it - just because.

More relevant: My wife has been on the working-end of fund raisers quite a bit in her life - both through 4-H and with her church youth group growing up.

-J-

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My daughter sold girl scout cookies. I swear I spent more money on gas delivering them than what her troop got.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Don't talk to me about fundraising. My wife is the fundraising coordinator for our girls gymnastic school. I hear about it every night. I just have to smile and nod while I tune out the conversation. At least the girls fundraising is going directly to their personal costs to be on the team. And I know that my wife works very hard to make sure that the stuff we sell is worthwhile and makes a decent profit. Like 5gal of Tide laundry detergent for $45.

I have big problems with school systems doing fundraising. Too much money is squandered at the administrative level and never makes it down to the students.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't talk to me about fundraising. My wife is the fundraising coordinator for our girls gymnastic school. I hear about it every night. I just have to smile and nod while I tune out the conversation. At least the girls fundraising is going directly to their personal costs to be on the team. And I know that my wife works very hard to make sure that the stuff we sell is worthwhile and makes a decent profit. Like 5gal of Tide laundry detergent for $45.

I have big problems with school systems doing fundraising. Too much money is squandered at the administrative level and never makes it down to the students.

Have you all thought about "selling labor" - How to phrase it as to not offend... In the past they've been called "slave sales" - People come and essentially pay money to the org. in exchange for housework / cleaning / yardwork at their house?

Different between a gymnastics org vs. middle school football team regarding the amount of physical labor, though. Regardless - might be something worthwhile to think about?

-J-

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My daughter sold girl scout cookies. I swear I spent more money on gas delivering them than what her troop got.

Need to set up on a Wal-Mart over the weekend. Jael's troop got a sweet spot right inside the entrances and exits. They cleaned up!

Que, I thought you were hiring out your son for his lawn care services? The school ought to do very well indeed.:D

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My son's scout pack sells popcorn at the same time as the school funraiser. With the scouts, the product is local (Indiana grown), the pack gets a large percent, and each scout gets 10% of what they sell into their own scout accout for campouts, uniform parts, etc. We have a few people who won't buy popcorn but will buy something from the school flyer, and we buy a thing or two, but he knows it is better to concentrate on the scout sales because it helps him directly. (And he can earn gift cards, which are better than the crap from the school fundraisers).

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I think Im just going to donate cash to my kid's school this year, and I will take her out and buy her something cooler than the "prize"...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Need to set up on a Wal-Mart over the weekend. Jael's troop got a sweet spot right inside the entrances and exits. They cleaned up!

Que, I thought you were hiring out your son for his lawn care services? The school ought to do very well indeed.:D

I don't mind girl scouts selling cookies at Walmart. What I can't stand is going to business A to do business with business A only to be hassled going in and out of the store by someone else trying to sell me crap. If I see their booth and I want cookies, I'll walk up and buy them. Don't hassle me. Don't get me started on Directv salesmen inside Walmart or Sam's club.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hated that crap when I was a kid. I never liked asking people for money and I still don't. On the other hand I realize that many of those programs are for good causes--so I give to a number of them. I'd rather see these organizations solicit voluntary donations and wish many of those that coerce donations through my taxes had to plead their case to me so I could pick and choose which are worthy of my $$$.

Top Bottom