• 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That's pretty exciting...... building your own. Good job, Marine ! :yesway:

Eventually if I can get the SA pull down to a more reasonable 4 or 5 lbs I'll either use the scope mount off my 3906 or find a RMR mount that will fit the rear sight dove tail and get a good optic and see what she can do at 25.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got my 5906 stripped frame assembled. Used the new MIM hammer assembly I got from Midway awhile back and tr he rest were parts from my collection of lots over the last 2 years.
    Ended up creating a cocked and locked 5906 probably due to using a DAO sear release lever. The reset is extremely ahort compared to the factory 3rd gens I own, but the DA pull is 9.2lbs and SA according to my lyman puller is 8.2lbs. I don't really feel it since I have a wide trigger installed.
    Might disassemble again and try a different sear release lever and order more hammer springs of different weight. Used a new recoil spring and hammer spring which if I recall are factory rated weights.
    It does function those as intended and rounds were sent down range.

What a great gun to build on!
    I love reading this.
    Do you have adjustable rear sights on yours (they usually cost another $300, unfortunately)?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What a great gun to build on!
    I love reading this.
    Do you have adjustable rear sights on yours (they usually cost another $300, unfortunately)?

Nope regular novaks. The price should be negligible between adj and non adj. Most owners on the S&W forum dislike the adj sights. I know most that are on GB do come with box and papers and are in better shape.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got another midway order coming. Order new sear release, 10 4506 black followers which were on sale, an ambi safety lever spring since I shot the right off into outer space snd rigged a similar spring just to get the lever to stay when test firing, and a few grip pins just because.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got the sear release, new sear no4, stainless disconnecter, and new drawbar plunger and spring installed. Found the safety to be defective you really have to push on the safety to get it to decock. So it could be carried cocked and locked but it would be unsafe to do. Got another order in with numrich for a new ambi safety. Good news though double action pull averaged 8lbs 10oz and single action was around 4lbs 12oz. The super short reset is still there compared to my other 3rd gens short resets.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Still waiting on the safety from numrich, but another 3rd gen adoption is going to take place on Tuesday. Been watching that pristine 6906 from the Ft Wayne area since he posted. Got a sign to buy when he bumped it. Looking forward to replacing the 6906 I traded and then regretted 4yrs ago that had night aights and was in the same shape as this one. I only wished mags were still as cheap as they were several years ago.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If I can get some time next friday hoping to fire up the square deal in 45 and crank out some ammo for next Saturdays Meet and Shoot. Its been a while since my 3rd gens seen a real range

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Still waiting on the safety from numrich, but another 3rd gen adoption is going to take place on Tuesday. Been watching that pristine 6906 from the Ft Wayne area since he posted. Got a sign to buy when he bumped it. Looking forward to replacing the 6906 I traded and then regretted 4yrs ago that had night aights and was in the same shape as this one. I only wished mags were still as cheap as they were several years ago.

That 6906 does look nice, at least in the pictures. I was almost going to kick myself for staying off INGO for a bit and missing that 3904 but I saw that it had adjustable sights and then I was relieved.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That 6906 does look nice, at least in the pictures. I was almost going to kick myself for staying off INGO for a bit and missing that 3904 but I saw that it had adjustable sights and then I was relieved.

So you're the one who robbed me lol. I had just got up from my nap and seen it was 2hrs old. Clicked and saw it spf.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Picked up the pristine 6906 yesterday. Based on what I learned from the S&W forum armour's and old heads it truly is a less than 100rd gun. Was made Nov 10 1993 and the frame under the grips has no pitting or corrosion. A great 6906 to finally re-add to the collection.

Top Bottom