• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I still got the one from 2017. Id like to see the 59 as I've debated looking for a decent one. I got a bid on a marlin 98 semi auto 22 only made for 2 yrs in 57 to 59 as the marlin 60 then came out and took off. I also had my local store order a left hand savage mark 2 bolt action with some of the funds from the 457 sale. The rest will go for casting equipment.

My 59 is shooter grade at best. Not a super high end piece, but it's not trash either. No import marks thankfully, and it's not got original grips, but rather some rosewood grips I picked up from Altamont.

Fb0u8Qu.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought another SW 5906 b/c it had some enhancements/upgrades mine didn't, and I was hoping that it wouldn't shoot as low as mine.
    You can be the judge of that by looking at the range pics.
    I call the one I have had for a few months: old, and the one I picked up today: new.
    I didn't have my usual permanent markers, only a pen, so it is hard to read.

20' with 115 grain on top with 147 grain on the bottom.
    New on the right, old on the left.
    Groups seem to be better with my "old" one.
    Both are shooting low (I marked the POA).

SCALE (using main group):
    Top left & right (Old & New) = 3"- 4" lower than POI
    Bottom left & right (OLD & New = 4" - 5" lower than POI
    7CP9aS9.jpg

20' with 115 grain on top with 147 grain on the bottom.
    New on the right, old on the left.
    Groups seem to be better with my "old" one.
    Both are shooting low but I didn't mark the POA.

Top left & right (Old & New) = 4"- 5" lower than POI
    Bottom left & right (OLD & New = (forgot to mark POA)
    LBxtfa5.jpg

30' using 115 grain.
    "New" is on the Torso with my POA marked (shooting low).
    "Old" is on the Head with the POA marked (shooting low).

Top/head (Old) = 3" - 5" lower than POI
    Torso/New = 4" - 7" lower than POI
    pVGAnlr.jpg

30' using 147 grain.
    "New" is on the Torso with my POA marked (shooting low).
    "Old" is on the Head with the POA marked (shooting low).

Top/head (Old) = 5" - 7" lower than POI
    Torso/New = 7" - 8" lower than POI
    3lDSBEI.jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I bought another SW 5906 b/c it had some enhancements/upgrades mine didn't, and I was hoping that it wouldn't shoot as low as mine.

What might be helpful is a little scale to your targets. i.e. groups average 3” below POA at 10 yards.

As we discussed, these are not unexpected POA/POI characteristics of the firearm.

I just did a little informal bore-sighting on several 3rd gens. Most are slightly low at 7 yards. One high. A couple a little bit lower. My 5906 has adjustable sights so that’s not included.

Your poi/poa is more or less consistent with my guns. Not as low as your two which might indicate some trigger habits moving POI? I’m a bad shot so I don’t mean that to be insulting. Some triggers I am more accurate with than others.

You could try a box of 147 grain ammo but doubt it’ll raise it that much.

EDIT - I see now you used 147's - that group is just a bit low of where a high noon hold should put you.

Same options - New front sight and/or adjustable sights.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What might be helpful is a little scale to your targets. i.e. groups average 3” below POA at 10 yards.

I went back into my original post and put in the scale of how much lower the POI was than POA.

As we discussed, these are not unexpected POA/POI characteristics of the firearm.

Some claim their 5906 does better, so your experience is helpful that I'm not totally off.

I just did a little informal bore-sighting on several 3rd gens. Most are slightly low at 7 yards. One high. A couple a little bit lower. My 5906 has adjustable sights so that’s not included.

I envy your adjustable sights!

Your poi/poa is more or less consistent with my guns. Not as low as your two which might indicate some trigger habits moving POI? I’m a bad shot so I don’t mean that to be insulting. Some triggers I am more accurate with than others.

I totally get me being the X factor with bad habits.
    It doesn't show up with most guns, but shooting low does with certain guns.
    I've always blamed the sights in such cases, though.
    :laugh:
    This is why I started shooting using a rest to minimize my bad habits.
    I forgot my "bean bag" rests and was using 2 gun boxes stacked on top of one another as a rest.
    It will be interesting to see if using my regualar "bean bag" rests will help the POI some.

You could try a box of 147 grain ammo but doubt it’ll raise it that much.
    EDIT - I see now you used 147's - that group is just a bit low of where a high noon hold should put you.

Noted.

Same options - New front sight and/or adjustable sights.

Yep, which is why I bought the "New" one to see if I could get "lucky."
    Ironically, in my hands, the "New" 5906 seems to be shooting even lower than my "Old" 5906.
    I didn't take it out to 40', since 20' & 30' were giving me the info.
    It will take more rounds to determine which to keep and which to sell but I wanted to keep the "New" one since previous owner had "freshened" up some springs and such.

I appreciate you taking the time "processing" this information with me. AGAIN! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Feedback from the experienced heads, please.
    I have an opportunity to buy a Gen 3 S/W 4006 .40 caliber police trade in with adjustable rear sights.
    Price is better than what's on Gunbroker, so I thought I'd experiment with it (never had the .40 cal)
    Maybe I should just stick with the SW 5906 and put adjustable rear sights on it (not sure of costs yet), or if other sights would suffice.
    I prefer to keep it original in case I "might" sell it someday. :dunno:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Feedback from the experienced heads, please.
    I have an opportunity to buy a Gen 3 S/W 4006 .40 caliber police trade in with adjustable rear sights.
    Price is better than what's on Gunbroker, so I thought I'd experiment with it (never had the .40 cal)
    Maybe I should just stick with the SW 5906 and put adjustable rear sights on it (not sure of costs yet), or if other sights would suffice.
    I prefer to keep it original in case I "might" sell it someday. :dunno:

Lots of similarities in the two. I guess it depends on if you want to experience a new caliber. The 4006 is a very soft shooting 40.

Could just be my bad memory but it seems like adjustable sight 4006s are less common? Not saying rare and valuable - just a casual inquiry.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up my SW 4006 tonight.
    Can't wait to take it to the range: hopefully tomorrow, but I'm going out of state Thursday, so don't know if I'll have time.
    Feels much like the 5906, D/A trigger seems smooth, reset is as short as I read about.
    Can't wait to see how those adjustable sights do, they seem to work fine.
    I'll do pics another time: too wiped now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I ran out to PB Greenwood at lunch today and ran a quick 25 rounds through the 4006 and 42 through the M13. I’m in love with both. The ugliness of the 4006 trigger disappears under fire and will only get better with tuning. That gun makes .40 feel like 38 Special.

The Model 13 was my favorite though. That’s the perfect balance for a revolver. I was only shooting 38 Special +Ps today but it’s and easy gun to shoot and it points very well. There’s a very good balance to that one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I ran out to PB Greenwood at lunch today and ran a quick 25 rounds through the 4006 and 42 through the M13. I’m in love with both. The ugliness of the 4006 trigger disappears under fire and will only get better with tuning. That gun makes .40 feel like 38 Special.

The Model 13 was my favorite though. That’s the perfect balance for a revolver. I was only shooting 38 Special +Ps today but it’s and easy gun to shoot and it points very well. There’s a very good balance to that one.

Cool! Sounds exactly like what I did the other day.
    There is the 20 rounds I posted at 20' & 30' with the 4006, but I had put another the rest of the box through a previous used target to begin the adjustment of the rear sights to bring up the POI issue that I always have with my other SW Gen 3 guns I have (two SW 5906).
    I have been told that is typical for this gun, so I will embrace it.
    Doesn't mean I'll keep the two 5906 9mms, since this 4006 .40 cal. can be adjusted, but perhaps one of them. :)
    I never met a SW Gen 3 I haven't liked, so I do see how people get addicted.
    I never intended to buy a .40 cal, but now that I have the only negative is a box of shells being $17 ($18 w/tax), instead of 9mms being half that.
    Just what I needed in retirement: another caliber! :dunno:
    In that context, I stumbled on a .32 acp awhile back I "had" to get since I've always loved the small tip-up Berettas (but sold the handful I had of them), and never had an unfired LNIB inox version so I succumbed. :ugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve taken mine apart to begin polishing the internals. Anything that’s showing wear marks will get a bit of polish and maybe stoned if there are a lot of tool marks. Right now, it’s been cleaned but I have not started to polish yet. I have what looks like a pile of brand new parts. The other nice thing about disassembly to this level is that you get to scrub out years of gunk and then reassemble like a new gun.

Top Bottom