• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I know it's not technically a 3rd gen, but I just looked at a 645... I am on love. That 5 inch barrel and stainless finish. Add in a manly .45acp. Anywho, I was cruising g.b. and found one about to end, at a spectacular price, for a reason.

How difficult is it to replace internal parts on one, particularly sear and hammer?

If it's not hard or expensive, I might put a real bid in. I would like to keep it stock if that matters.

They are quite easy to replace parts in and YouTube makes anyone with reasonable mechanical skills a weekend gunsmith.

Check Numrich for parts availability.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    S&W 3rd Gen Semi Autos

Yea. My bidding wingman from the other thread got ahold of my account for awhile.

03873ccbdea5cccd810a954c142b84f9.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I told h45 that I thought it would go for $750 to $850. Different finish and I’m pretty sure its 1 of 20 but that makes it rare not necessary valuable. I liked it because it was cool and different.
    My favorite reason. That is cool though 1 of 20. If nothing else I would've loved to just handled it. Knowing theres not many of them out in the wild.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Kjq just spent my money at cabelas... so only a low bid can win it now... :nailbite:

I am going to have to get one of these 5906's that are popping up everywhere.

I have enjoyed reading of your processing about it: you are in.
    Just a matter of time if you keep reading this thread.
    I woke up one Sunday with no intention of buying a Gen 3 anything of SW, then I stumbled onto the thread. :dunno:
    Got to reading, got hooked, and before I went to church, I had ordered one that a member here had recommended.
    Since I was going to church, it was convenient so I could repent of my sins. :rofl:

I would love to go crazy and get a trigger job to take up the travel on the trigger, and figure out what I should do about the sights.
    Having mentioned that, someone might say they can put in an Apex trigger, or whatever would be suitable, unless everyone keeps them stock since it is a classic. There are probably spring and adjustments I know nothing about that would take up some slack.
    I plan to keep this long term, unlike my profile, so I don't mind spending a little on it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I woke up one Sunday with no intention of buying a Gen 3 anything of SW, then I stumbled onto the thread. :dunno:
    Got to reading, got hooked, and before I went to church, I had ordered one that a member here had recommended.
    Since I was going to church, it was convenient so I could repent of my sins. :rofl:

I would love to go crazy and get a trigger job to take up the travel on the trigger, and figure out what I should do about the sights.
    Having mentioned that, someone might say they can put in an Apex trigger, or whatever would be suitable, unless everyone keeps them stock since it is a classic. There are probably spring and adjustments I know nothing about that would take up some slack.
    I plan to keep this long term, unlike my profile, so I don't mind spending a little on it.

I bought a gen 1. Model 59 as part of my original wonder 9 collection. At the time I didn't know anything about the different generations. Since then, I have come to love that gun. Reading this thread hasn't helped my itch for one. I just want too many things. Lol

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

Don't mean to rain on your Easter Parade but when it comes to 3rd gens triggers; you might as well just get used to it.

Technically, you can make some improvements to the trigger but, in the end, you will see, IMHO, nominal improvements, at best.

You can lighten the main/firing pin spring but there is just some basic trigger geometry that doesn't leave much room for improvement.

Depending upon the version of your gun, you could install MIM parts which, again IMHO, provides a slightly better trigger.

I have seen nothing done to a 3rd gen that remotely compares to what can be accomplish in the CZs you are familiar with.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I bought a gen 1. Model 59 as part of my original wonder 9 collection. At the time I didn't know anything about the different generations. Since then, I have come to love that gun. Reading this thread hasn't helped my itch for one. I just want too many things. Lol

I think the Gen 1's are awesome. I'd like to add a nickel 39, at some point.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I am not one to throw stones, that's for sure. :laugh:
    Even though I'm in "trim" mode, I was pmmed this am about 2 guns a member would sell me (knowing my penchant for buying anything of value).
    I haven't had either item and have been curious about both, so we'll see if we get together.
    Prices were fine, but at this point details like capacity and safety/decocker are issues with me, and I don't know those parameters yet on his items.
    It is all fun for me, especially since my days are numbered for such proclivities.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't mean to rain on your Easter Parade but when it comes to 3rd gens triggers; you might as well just get used to it.

Technically, you can make some improvements to the trigger but, in the end, you will see, IMHO, nominal improvements, at best.

You can lighten the main/firing pin spring but there is just some basic trigger geometry that doesn't leave much room for improvement.

Depending upon the version of your gun, you could install MIM parts which, again IMHO, provides a slightly better trigger.

I have seen nothing done to a 3rd gen that remotely compares to what can be accomplish in the CZs you are familiar with.

That's all I need to know: thanks! :thumbsup:
    I don't care about any "nominal" changes: I want it "gone." :laugh:
    My only trigger job was with my beloved CZ Shadow 2, and it was already near-perfect for my level, but I had to go for it just once.
    I love the flat trigger I put in it, but it didn't improve my accuracy any that I can tell. (but it's only been a few rounds) :dunno:

Top Bottom