• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The cabinet has the misfortune of being dark and showing up gun sights great; there is one in the dining room that makes it in most of my pics. :laugh:
    The Flourescent Super Bright Touch-up Sight Pens are a quick inexpensive fix for my eyes.

I am not being critical as everyone's eyes are different but the painted rear sights would drive me nuts. Black rear and a bright front work best for me.

Also, I checked and the wood grips I have are for a 4516. Sorry.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I am not being critical as everyone's eyes are different but the painted rear sights would drive me nuts. Black rear and a bright front work best for me.

I completely agree with mcapo.
    Black rears work best for me too. :naughty:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I completely agree with mcapo.
    Black rears work best for me too. :naughty:

Thanks for checking for me mcapo.
    I'll decide which to buy and order soon.

And, I think both of you are right.
    When I had white on the rear and red in the front, I didn't see as well as with red in front and black in the back.
    I'm just experimenting to find out.
    My favorite is when I have large white 3 dot sights, but I don't think I have any with that configuration at this time.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Going to have to crank out some more 45 rounds before may 4th to feed my 4506.

Also doddg I use 115 gr fmj for my 9mms over 4.3gr of titegroup set to 1.15oal. I dont shoot as much as I would like too the last few years but from 25yds free hand was able to put them all in a 9in plate.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OWB & IWB just arrived for the S/W 5906.

n1luDmB.jpg
    YeWgxe8.jpg

Tx4RMQb.jpg
    EF1sXdR.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went to the range to try to put into practice some things advised here.
    Only did 20' with a silhouette: head shots with 124 grain of RWS and torso shots with 115 grain of S & B.
    I was going to post a pic, got it labeled and then forgot to snap a pic before I drew 2" circles on the silhouette and shot it with .22LRs that I brought.

Both grains did fine in the accuracy department, and oddly enough, the 115 grain shot better than the 124 grain today.
    I was using the front sight painted red, whereas the last time I believe it was still white: some help perhaps?
    That, combined with trying to shoot a bit slower might be the reason I was able to shoot it a little better.
    I didn't depress myself by shooting more than at 20'; I wasn't in the mood for too much reality today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not been satisfied with wood handles I've seen, and read some bad reviews of a brand.
    Warning of some cracks near the bottom and the business screwing over on some orders.
    Wondering whether to just get some Hogue grips:
    jAnJiaT.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Not been satisfied with wood handles I've seen, and read some bad reviews of a brand.
    Warning of some cracks near the bottom and the business screwing over on some orders.
    Wondering whether to just get some Hogue grips:
    jAnJiaT.jpg

I tried the Hogue, Pachmyer, and the Uncle Mike's but went back to factory straight backed grips over the curved.

You looking to get a larger fill?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Wondering whether to just get some Hogue grips:[/IMG]

As 1775 says, it’s hard to beat a straight back factory grip.

The wood grips are large and because of the wrap around design, the risk of cracking is increased.

I’d try KSD (I have four sets) but wood is a natural product that will have limitations and irregularities.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried the Hogue, Pachmyer, and the Uncle Mike's but went back to factory straight backed grips over the curved.

You looking to get a larger fill?

I normally like a wide full grip (1.45 or 1.50 width grip).
    Just ordered the Hogue #40010 Rubber Grip Panels for Smith & Wesson 5906 for $17 + $4 shipping = $22.
    I can live with that unless I feel the need to I find some straight-backed grips, but I generally like the curved/swelled grip.
    We'll see. :dunno:
    If I like these I will use them and maybe later get a textured wood grip in the future.
    The $90 grips that were recommended looked good, but the $60 pair on Gunbroker didn't seem to have any texture at all, so I decided to simply give the rubber Hogue's a try.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :thumbsup:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I know it's not technically a 3rd gen, but I just looked at a 645... I am on love. That 5 inch barrel and stainless finish. Add in a manly .45acp. Anywho, I was cruising g.b. and found one about to end, at a spectacular price, for a reason.

How difficult is it to replace internal parts on one, particularly sear and hammer?

If it's not hard or expensive, I might put a real bid in. I would like to keep it stock if that matters.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I know it's not technically a 3rd gen, but I just looked at a 645... I am on love. That 5 inch barrel and stainless finish. Add in a manly .45acp. Anywho, I was cruising g.b. and found one about to end, at a spectacular price, for a reason.

How difficult is it to replace internal parts on one, particularly sear and hammer?

If it's not hard or expensive, I might put a real bid in. I would like to keep it stock if that matters.

Dont quote me but I think some 2nd and 3rd gen gut parts are interchangable.

Top Bottom