• ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    They also Have mags for $20 each.
    I bought one from them a year-or-three ago, quick ship and came in better than expected. Since I saw this, it got me searching.
    gun.deals shows a place that has 5906 under $300, but lists then as Century...there is no picture, but half of what CAI sells is engraved with their huge markings. does anyone have any experience with a Century classified one? (or is that even a thing other than their wholeseller?)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    They also Have mags for $20 each.
    I bought one from them a year-or-three ago, quick ship and came in better than expected. Since I saw this, it got me searching.
    gun.deals shows a place that has 5906 under $300, but lists then as Century...there is no picture, but half of what CAI sells is engraved with their huge markings. does anyone have any experience with a Century classified one? (or is that even a thing other than their wholeseller?)

The shipping is a bit of a killer for 2 mags but if the picture is a rep of what you'd get then maybe.

CAI imported 3rd gens from my past browsing experience show more wear hence the cheaper price. I'd hold out for a 350 dollar 85% or better.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got my laser from Ebay found out after messing around it fits my 5946 and 3913. So basically any 9mm 3rd gen with a curved trigger guard. Not bad for less than 50 shipped.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just got an email today, trade-in 5906 for $349 if anyone is interested. No fun money for me right now, but wanted to pass it along.
    https://gunprime.com/product/smith-...-49283561&mc_cid=785c9a0af9&mc_eid=b65bffc209

I've been looking at this and greatly tempted.
    I have passed on some older S/Ws and had the Ruger P89 and 95 both and loved them, especially the heavier P89.
    They both shot wonderfully.

Does anyone know how the SW 5906 shoots in comparison to the Ruger P89, having had experience with both, or read about a comparison?

Ruger or S/W have never let me down, and owning at least one piece of history does have its appeal.

Edit: did some research for the past 30 minutes and it is about 8:2 in favor of the S/W 5906, with passion on both sides with about half saying either, and just see what fits your hand.
    No real specific comments concerning the triggers, however.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have passed on some older S/Ws and had the Ruger P89 and 95 both and loved them, especially the heavier P89.

Does anyone know how the SW 5906 shoots in comparison to the Ruger P89, having had experience with both, or read about a comparison?

Ruger or S/W have never let me down, and owning at least one piece of history does have its appeal.

Edit: did some research for the past 30 minutes and it is about 8:2 in favor of the S/W 5906, with passion on both sides with about half saying either, and just see what fits your hand.

Short reset for the Smith's when firing single action.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

1775, as always, is right.

The 5906 and the Rugers have some similarities though I find the SW more ergonomic (for its era) and just a better built firearm - not to say that the Ruger is substandard just that the SW were intended for heavy duty use and nearly all the parts are made to last a long long time. Ruger did not have all the police contracts that SW did.

The 5906 trigger is not going to compete with the trigger in your Shadow. Not ever. The SW should have a respectable SA trigger and a heavy but relatively smooth DA trigger.

Don't expect match grade accuracy out of a 5906. They are not inaccurate but its not a bullseye gun like a SW 952 would be. Others may argue, but my limited experience is that it's a 3"-4" capable gun at 25 yards. I am sure exceptions but that is my experience.

They make a TSW (tactical smith and wesson) model which is argued to have better fitment. I prefer the "standard" 5906 but sure wouldn't kick a tsw out of the safe in the morning! You will also find square and round trigger guard variations and the two different grips - as shown below. Differences also exist over the years in some internal parts but I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, you might prefer a 5906 with adjustable sights. A photograph is shown below. The adjustable sight models are readily noticeable with the batwings alongside the rear sights.

2Q==
    9k=
    300px-Smith_and_Wesson_Model_5906.jpg
    415005192.jpg
    wm_6390678.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Smith & Wesson 5906 9MM 1 MAG
    $349.00
    VFVuGZz.jpg

I just had to go for it. :dunno:
    I'll keep it as long as I can and have my fun with it, as I am wont to do. :ar15:
    We'll see if I have to sell something of what I have in order to keep it long-term.
    Since I will have to pay shipping ($20) and FFL fees ($35) = $405. (just right at my threshold)

It will be fun shooting it against the CZ SP-01 and the CZ P-07 (just bought both from members here for $400 each), and my Bersa Compact (TPR9cm), also a $400: bought new.

Since it is a police trade in I'm apprehensive as to the condition I'll get. :nailbite:
    Previous bad experience with a Beretta M9, but wonderful experience with a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical.
    I had a chance to buy a 5906 in January with holster and 2 mags, plus ancillary case for $350: wasn't perfect, but in "good" condition (for me).
    I can only hope that this one is in as good as shape since I gave up holster and extra mags: lesson learned.
    I should have known I would have to try one out eventually.

"Disclaimer:"
    These photos represent the overall condition of these Smith & Wesson Model 5906 9mm police trades, which are in very good condition.
    Each pistol comes with one 15-round magazines.
    As with many used and police trade-in firearms, these may contain light scratches and/or holster wear.
    This is not always the case, but should not be unexpected.

I blame the SW 3rd gen thread and especially this am :laugh::
    Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy1976 View Post
    Just got an email today, trade-in 5906 for $349 if anyone is interested. No fun money for me right now, but wanted to pass it along.
    https://gunprime.com/product/smith-w...eid=b65bffc209

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Smith & Wesson 5906 9MM 1 MAG
    $349.00
    VFVuGZz.jpg

I just had to go for it. :dunno:
    I'll keep it as long as I can and have my fun with it, as I am wont to do. :ar15:
    We'll see if I have to sell something of what I have in order to keep it long-term.
    Since I will have to pay shipping ($20) and FFL fees ($35) = $405. (just right at my threshold)

It will be fun shooting it against the CZ SP-01 and the CZ P-07 (just bought both from members here for $400 each), and my Bersa Compact (TPR9cm), also a $400: bought new.

Since it is a police trade in I'm apprehensive as to the condition I'll get. :nailbite:
    Previous bad experience with a Beretta M9, but wonderful experience with a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical.
    I had a chance to buy a 5906 in January with holster and 2 mags, plus ancillary case for $350: wasn't perfect, but in "good" condition (for me).
    I can only hope that this one is in as good as shape since I gave up holster and extra mags: lesson learned.
    I should have known I would have to try one out eventually.

"Disclaimer:"
    These photos represent the overall condition of these Smith & Wesson Model 5906 9mm police trades, which are in very good condition.
    Each pistol comes with one 15-round magazines.
    As with many used and police trade-in firearms, these may contain light scratches and/or holster wear.
    This is not always the case, but should not be unexpected.

I blame the SW 3rd gen thread and especially this am :laugh::
    Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy1976 View Post
    https://gunprime.com/product/smith-w...eid=b65bffc209

Who's your dealer? Have it shipped to USDS, last I knew they were 20.00 cash for transfers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got confirmation from Gunprime that that gun was being shipped to my FFL.
    I like supporting the small dealer, and this guy is beyond small, and 3 miles from home on the way home from work, so I don't mind paying more.
    I know I have a rep for being "thrifty" (nice way of saying a cheap-arse), but I will spend a few bucks more when I feel it.
    Can't wait to see the condition, since I could have bought one cheaper on gunbroker.
    I am excited to get this tank of a gun: I've enjoyed other tanks before (Ruger 89 & 95), but the history of the 5906 does appeal to my "collectible" background that I'm trying to abate with the gun hobby.
    Ironically, I've always had more .22LRs than other guns, but now I actually have more of the "other."
    Addiction is difficult. :laugh:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got the SW 5906 delivered today: $25 FFL fees, not $35: remembered wrong.

Pics speak for themselves, not disappointed except the sights are crap, and it has some small adjustment that I didn't have a tool for at the range.
    If I end up keeping it I'd enjoy it more with some decent grips.
    The pics are as the gun came. I lubed it up after the pics, before taking it out t the range.
    Got to figure out how to adjust the sights: shooting right and low.

e5HWjLd.jpg
    is5UKGY.jpg
    TiilFEc.jpg
    QgKBxLi.jpg
    hyswoxS.jpg
    niDb1Hf.jpg
    BPZiFXD.jpg
    53Jyf2y.jpg
    2BIOF1p.jpg
    XPq2NMB.jpg
    v0ZnmgF.jpg
    V2i7697.jpg
    iRz6Ore.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've used a brass punch wrapped in a rag and hammer to drift mine. On my 4506 I found some millet sights on Ebay and ended up replacing them. There was a sight tool on Ebay for 3rd gens but it was 125.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got the SW 5906 delivered today: $25 FFL fees, not $35: remembered wrong.

Pics speak for themselves, not disappointed except the sights are crap, and it has some small adjustment that I didn't have a tool for at the range.
    If I end up keeping it I'd enjoy it more with some decent grips.
    The pics are as the gun came. I lubed it up after the pics, before taking it out t the range.
    Got to figure out how to adjust the sights: shooting right and low.

e5HWjLd.jpg
    is5UKGY.jpg
    TiilFEc.jpg
    QgKBxLi.jpg
    hyswoxS.jpg
    niDb1Hf.jpg
    BPZiFXD.jpg
    53Jyf2y.jpg
    2BIOF1p.jpg
    XPq2NMB.jpg
    v0ZnmgF.jpg
    V2i7697.jpg
    iRz6Ore.jpg

Looks pretty clean. Gotta also remember it does weigh almost 40 oz.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Yup, as mcapo suggested upthread, you might have been happier with the adjustable sight model. I can shoot the wings off a fly with mine ! :D

i-KX2QGvK-L.jpg

Top Bottom