• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I wouldn't say decent,.....I'd say excellent. If I remember my 3rd gens correctly the 5943 was only made for one year and the SSV version was a minor part of that. I've been looking for one for several years(not anymore tho,.....I snagged this one! Thanks!). The SSV's don't usually bring as much as I think they should but still every one I've had a chance at was well above $500 and usually gone by the time I tracked it down. The best deal I "could" have had was a nice 5943 SSV on GB(actually listed by Blythe's/Griffith)about a year ago, but I couldn't comfortably come up with the $650 they wanted at the time. This one will total $430 after the $50 shipping they charged me and my local dealer's NICS fee. Not bad at all.

Funny story: Long before learning of the SSV I was sitting around with a 5946 and a spare 3953 slide assembly. Don't really know what made me try it but I slid the 3953 slide onto the 5946 frame and "invented" the SSV all by myself. That's still my favorite 3rd gen version(even tho S&W never made one that way). Something about the short slide on the full size stainless frame appeals to me I suppose much like I always preferred the Combat Commander over the more common alloy version of the .45.

I think we found someone to adopt that 5943 and give it a loving home.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yeah, I kind of stumbled at the $50 shipping but I worked through it pretty quick. Randy was describing the gun to me over the phone and I more or less cut him off saying I'd been looking for one for a few years and was going to take it regardless. That's when he apologetically mentioned that shipping was fifty bucks and did I 'still' want it. Yup, whatever,......I 'still' want it. I'd have been happier at fifteen but I understand when someone who isn't primarily in the business of internet sales wants to stick with overnight, insurance, tracking and signature stuff. Again, whatever. The listed price allowed plenty of room for that stuff. I looked at all their other listed guns and frankly the 5943 was the only reasonably priced item I saw. Would have been cheap for a non-SSV. I didn't see anything else that I was even mildly interested in.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If anyone finds 915 mags at a decent price (and I'm not even sure what this is anymore), let me know.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    LOVE THEM! Have nothing but respect and 100% approval of the 3rd gen Smiths! Actually...I am going back to non-polymer, DA/SA guns. Smiths, Beretta's, etc. I have become a total NON-polymer-striker fired fan. I think it is time to go in reverse a little from all the wonder-striker fired polymer pistols out there. Hard to beat a 6906, 4506, etc. They WILL be in my carry rotation...well at least the 6906 for sure. IMHO, best compact self-defense combat carry piece out there...still!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Don't think you will get many arguments here! I started out with revolvers and 1911's so anything metal with a hammer is my preference.

The 6906 is just a great platform.

Working on getting my first 2nd gen (a 659); so you will find you just can't get one...especially the elusive 3906.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What's the consensus on the MecGar 59xx mags?

Mecgar is good to go just avoid promag. I haven't had any issues with the single stack for 4506 but once I started to build my mag collection I got rid of those. I read on the S&W forum of people having issues with the promag double stacks.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Mecgar is good to go just avoid promag. I haven't had any issues with the single stack for 4506 but once I started to build my mag collection I got rid of those. I read on the S&W forum of people having issues with the promag double stacks.

I've got a couple of the MecGar's, haven't shot them yet. Every time I'm in the local gun shop, I try to buy something, to keep them in business. They usually have a MecGar 59xx mag, so I'll pick one up just to add to the collection. Now 39xx mags, that's where I need to grab some more mags. I believe I just got one more from either Midway or Brownells, factory mags.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've got a couple of the MecGar's, haven't shot them yet. Every time I'm in the local gun shop, I try to buy something, to keep them in business. They usually have a MecGar 59xx mag, so I'll pick one up just to add to the collection. Now 39xx mags, that's where I need to grab some more mags. I believe I just got one more from either Midway or Brownells, factory mags.
    I know midway as of last week were selling 3906 mags new in package for 17.95. I also believe from the S&W forum that Mecgar were the original makers of the S&W mags. Gun shows are your best bet for 3rd gen mags. I know there is usually a mag guy from Michigan that does shows up here in the northern part that has 6-7 tables and tubs with peg boards on top with all kinds of mags and for reasonable prices. A little high on my $20-25 range but still in my bracket.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/733883146
    mcapo here's one with adj sights no reserve. If I were you and really wanted a 3906 I would just put my top dollar on it. Some day that trick will work.

Got my eye on that one. Pretty sure I've got a CS9 and 659 bought so that makes four new guns in December sooooo....it'll have to go right for me to buy.

Right now the only 9mm 3rd gens I want to add are a 5906 and 3906. Would prefer both with boxes. It seems like the 3906's show up in waves every few months so I'm sure I'll find one before the end of the year! Might have to go to a gun show or two this year - though I generally have zero luck at gun shows.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got my eye on that one. Pretty sure I've got a CS9 and 659 bought so that makes four new guns in December sooooo....it'll have to go right for me to buy.

Right now the only 9mm 3rd gens I want to add are a 5906 and 3906. Would prefer both with boxes. It seems like the 3906's show up in waves every few months so I'm sure I'll find one before the end of the year! Might have to go to a gun show or two this year - though I generally have zero luck at gun shows.

I would keep looking on Gb as I'm sure the 3906 and 5906 will be way overpriced at the shows. I've seen the same 3 3rd gens a 4506, 5943, and can't remember the other one all in about 85% for at or over 550 for the last 2 yrs.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Yep; I bowed out at $568. If it would have had a box and not target sights, I would have gone further. I thought I was going to buy that SW 1911 PC on the SW Forum so I stopped on the 3906 and then the 1911 was sold....BUT...

Brought home a CS9 today so life isn't all bad!

MauOcpR.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Yep; I bowed out at $568. If it would have had a box and not target sights, I would have gone further. I thought I was going to buy that SW 1911 PC on the SW Forum so I stopped on the 3906 and then the 1911 was sold....BUT...

Brought home a CS9 today so life isn't all bad!

MauOcpR.jpg

Looks good. I bet you could of made them pay just a bit more if they really wanted it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Looks good. I bet you could of made them pay just a bit more if they really wanted it.

Had I known the 1911PC was sold, I would have pushed a few more bids.

Now I guess I need a CS40 since I have a 9 and 45?

The CS9 needs a good cleaning but shows little evidence of firing. You can see just enough wear on the grips to assume it was carried for awhile. I've never fired the CS9 so looking forward to a cleaning and range trip before the "blizzard".

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    I'm new to Indy and this forum, and just found this SW thread. Woo hoo! I picked up a pair of all stainless steel SW automatics over the holidays and couldn't be happier. I got the following from a trusted FFL from the Beretta forum (& friend) who was selling these from an IL estate sale. I am still a total sucker for the old SW 10mm autos.

The 10mm 1006 below was in very good shape, with just a few rub marks on the matte finish that easily polished out. It was already sportin wood and has factory Novaks, which I've wanted to try, as my other 1006's have adj rear sights from the factory. Inside of gun looked near new. It came with 3 factory mags, which I think made it a good deal at the price I paid.

The 5906 was equally new on the inside (almost looked like it was right outta the machine shop), but it was carried a lot. I suspect it was probably a service pistol, as many of these SW 9mm autos were. The finish had light scuffs all over, and a number of the slide/frame edges were nicked up pretty good. The worse booger was the beaver tail....the back edge of it looked like it went thru Ernest Langdon's latest drop test. I took a fine file and some emory paper to the edges and did a light "melt" on them. I also filed down the beaver tail this am, cleaned out & repainted the sights and polished the matte finish into oblivion. Looks pretty respectable if I say so myself.

Hope to get both to range soon now that the weather has moved into the civilized zone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom