Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So does Kim Jong Un. So what? Blah, blah, blah.

So again, what do you think would be the proper type of response to this incident.
    We wouldn't NEED to respond.
    If we didn't have a spineless nothing followed by other spineless nothings.
    I am blaming the NEED of any response on him, and them.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    We wouldn't NEED to respond.
    If we didn't have a spineless nothing followed by other spineless nothings.
    I am blaming the NEED of any response on him, and them.
    Remind me who was President when Iran shot down one of our drones in international airspace in 2019.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I know this won't be a very popular opinion, but to me the Russians shooting down an unmanned drone over the Black Sea is no different than us shooting down a Chinese Spy Balloon over the Atlantic Ocean or Canada. The Black Sea is their backyard, not ours. If we want to fly something there to spy on them, fine, but no crying foul if they take it out even if it is technically over international waters. A balloon over the Great Lakes was considered just as much fair game. We had to fly it over somebody else's country to get it there in the first place.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 062751.jpg

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

Decent video of the collision including a still shot of the damaged propeller.

Ivan would never lie would he?

Last edited:
    Reactions: oze

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Would you judge the threat level of 'Death to America' differently if JoePedo was the one saying it?

Oh, wait - he already is. Just not in so many words
    I consider the current idiots in charge to be a larger threat than the Iranian government either thru damaging policies, complete incompetence or something more sinister.

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I know this won't be a very popular opinion, but to me the Russians shooting down an unmanned drone over the Black Sea is no different than us shooting down a Chinese Spy Balloon over the Atlantic Ocean or Canada. The Black Sea is their backyard, not ours. If we want to fly something there to spy on them, fine, but no crying foul if they take it out even if it is technically over international waters. A balloon over the Great Lakes was considered just as much fair game. We had to fly it over somebody else's country to get it there in the first place.

View attachment 262933
    A couple of *minor* differences. The balloon was in US airspace when it was shot down. The drone was over international water. One is in violation of international law, the other isn't.

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

View attachment 262933
    I basically agree. We're all playing a game here. Drones aren't manned and shooting one down isn't killing or capturing a pilot. They're expendable hardware and the bar for shooting one down is lower. The drone is a military asset being used to support lethal operations against Russian personnel in Ukraine and the Black Sea. We wouldn't hesitate to shoot down a similar asset in a US combat theater.

That said this wasn't even a shootdown. Some pilot was trolling it with fuel dumps and messed up.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What is the proper response? And not defending Milley, but if you were the general at the podium, would you be giving the press (and the rest of the world) our strategy?
    Milley would instead call the PLA and give them a private briefing on our strategy (as he has in the past)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As far as all out war with Russia, what happens if both sides believe the other will pull back from the brink and either both are wrong or an unintended incident happens

What would have happened in 1962 if the Russians had decided to run the Cuban Naval blockade because they were certain we would back down? No one knows for sure, but everyone was staring into the abyss. What might have happened if a US captain prosecuted an attack against a Russian sub or said sub attacked a US surface warfare ship

MAD requires stable, realist leaders able to dispassionately assess a situation in order to work. Pretty sure we don't have that. Probably should cancel Archduke Ferdinand's travel plans

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    As far as all out war with Russia, what happens if both sides believe the other will pull back from the brink and either both are wrong or an unintended incident happens

What would have happened in 1962 if the Russians had decided to run the Cuban Naval blockade because they were certain we would back down? No one knows for sure, but everyone was staring into the abyss. What might have happened if a US captain prosecuted an attack against a Russian sub or said sub attacked a US surface warfare ship

MAD requires stable, realist leaders able to dispassionately assess a situation in order to work. Pretty sure we don't have that. Probably should cancel Archduke Ferdinand's travel plans
    A Soviet sub captain actually gave the order to fire a 10kt nuclear torpedo at US ships. His first officer refused and swallowed the arming key. We were literally that close.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Decent video of the collision including a still shot of the damaged propeller.

Ivan would never lie would he?
    I am still trying to figure out the physics of that impact. The approach was from below. SU flighs up and over,and then turns sideways enough to fit between the the tail of the reaper without hitting the engine(with I assume a single wing tip as there is no other way it would have not hit the tail) and has a glancing blow with one blade of the prop.

Then the SU manages to fly home.

Yes,if what that video appears to show is actually what happened ivan be crazy(and a hell of a pilot) lol.

Also,I was wrong. You can indeed hit the prop of a reaper with an SU-27 and still fly back to base(but you have to be crazy).

Last edited:

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom