• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Wrong. Each video does what Jeff Cooper himself says is CONTRARY to Rule #1. (See below)

Its fine if you want to create your own Rule #1. But you're not following Jeff Cooper's rule.

Here it is again. I bolded the relevant part for you.

I will agree with your intent. YOUR Rule #1 is fine by me. I follow it myself. But you folks need to let go of this "Jeff Cooper is infallible" mindset.

This is where you are wrong, once again, probably an honest mistake. The premise of a firearm always being loaded dates back over 100 years, well before Jeff Cooper. I think I see why you are not understanding rule #1

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wrong again, each video 100% affirmed the mindset that is established by rule #1.

Explain how a safety check is incongruent with rule#1

thank you in advance.

I thought I was done with this thread. :(

Go back and watch them in all their nauseating detail. Some say ALWAYS some say "treat" some say "as if" and Hunky McGlock say, "I checked with my pinky, it's safe."

To the latter I say nay, nay - it's still a gun and it's not safe.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I thought I was done with this thread. :(

Go back and watch them in all their nauseating detail. Some say ALWAYS some say "treat" some say "as if" and Hunky McGlock say, "I checked with my pinky, it's safe."

To the latter I say nay, nay - it's still a gun and it's not safe.

The fact that you cannot intellectually reconcile the 4 rules does not render them any less effective. Like i've said before, I encourage you to use the 3 rules you can understand and be safe.

happy shooting.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    It's sad when the side that has no basis to support their argument has to resort to backhanded insults. Just so you know, this is aimed at you SW and BW.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I know BW and he's a great guy. He got me started shooting steel. I need to buy him a beer and convince him personally.

However, I think I'd have a better shot of getting him to vote for Hilary...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The simplest solution to all of this is this:

1. Treat every gun as if it is always loaded at all times.

There ya go. Its a rule/directive/etc... It says what everyone thinks when they read Jeff Cooper's rule #1. It is just as effective. I know Jeff wouldn't like it, but too bad, he's wrong.

Are we good now?

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    It's sad when the side that has no basis to support their argument has to resort to backhanded insults. Just so you know, this is aimed at you SW and BW.

It has been stated many times that rule#1 is a logical fallacy that require mental gymnastics to comprehend. If a person cannot intellectually reconcile the 4 rules, they need to stick the the three they understand. As far as "sides" are concerned, I've stated on multiple occasions that i'm on the side of a safety mindset, perhaps we have different methods, but the intended desired outcome is the same.

Regarding no basis for supporting an argument. I'm still waiting on anyone to produce one single shred of data that correlate ND to rule #1.

The four rules of gun safety are the prevalent set of rules for the United States Marine Corps. Good enough for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Seems like an odd way to go for those attempting to be in the business of training shooters. :dunno:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Seems like an odd way to go for those attempting to be in the business of training shooters. :dunno:

I didn't insult you. I said you insulted others in a backhanded way because you could not substantiate your argument beyond "I've seen others." That makes me sad that we cannot disagree civilly without smartass comments and backhanded insults. Not once I have I said a bad word about you or your beliefs. I have disagreed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I didn't insult you. I said you insulted others in a backhanded way because you could not substantiate your argument beyond "I've seen others." That makes me sad that we cannot disagree civilly without smartass comments and backhanded insults. Not once I have I said a bad word about you or your beliefs. I have disagreed.

Wow, and you are in the training business? Hmm...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    From Jeff Cooper's Commentaries Vol. 6 No. 2 Jeff Cooper's Commentaries: Vol. 6, No. 2

Perhaps the man's own words will help

The everlasting problem for the shooter remains gunhandling. Of the three elements of shooting skill - marksmanship, gunhandling, and mind-set - it is gunhandling which gives us the most trouble. The way people handled their weapons at the SHOT Show was enough to make one's blood run cold, and many of these people are presumably "experts" in the firearms field. It would seem that while a great many shooters understand the four basic rules of safe gunhandling, they seem to think that the rules only apply on the range when under supervision. I have tried for decades to impress upon people the fact that the four rules are immutable and ever present. They apply at all times and in all circumstances. Somebody asked me what they were the other day (somewhat to my dismay), so for the purposes of those who came in late let me put them forth again now.
    RULE 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.
    RULE 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
    You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.
    RULE 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.
    RULE 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
    You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    If you always point a gun in a safe direction, always keep your finger off the trigger till ready to shoot, and always keep your gun unloaded till ready to use, then you won't hurt yourself or others accidentally. It's not ****ing rocket science, but then again, people are dumb ****s and love to break RULES.

What's that about not insulting people again?? Interesting.

Top Bottom