• ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Interesting barrel. What brand is it?

Did you cut the end of the stock off or is it just the picture?

Cerakoted Green Mountain. Don't know if the fluting is custom or not. Bought used from someone on here.

I initially cut off the stock at the barrel band but decided to cut back another inch and a half or so to meet where the fluting starts.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    well i worked on my guns over the weekend, on saturday i put a striplin customs 90 degree mount and thumb rest on my 22/45, from start to finish took a whole 1/2 hour!, that includes taking the old mount off, stripping the bolt, drilling the frame installing the rest and putting it all back together!

rimfire pistol.jpg

now on sunday, I worked on the rifles

before
    rimfire before.jpg

and after
    rimfire rifle after.jpg

that took a little longer, BUT it goes to my saying, the ruger 10/22 is the original Barbie doll for guys (before the ar15 line got so saturated with manufacturers and accessories)

I know you wont be able to tell much from the pics, but the easy was to say it is, I swapped bolts, trigger groups, receivers, sights, charging handles, and it was all easy peasy lemon squeezy!

but in that picture are
    2 ruger receivers
    1 brownells receiver
    2 ruger bolts
    1 tandem kross krossfire bolt
    1 ruger bx trigger
    1 tandem kross/brimstone trigger kit (the brimstone drop in kit sold by tk)
    1 stock ruger trigger
    1 boyds stock
    1 volquartsen stock
    1 factory stock
    1 tactical solutions barrel
    1 factory barrel (iron sights)
    1 champion fluted steel barrel (threaded 1/2x28)
    1 weiland compensator
    1 crossfire mag release
    1 tk fireswitch mag release
    1 tk spartan charging handle
    1 volquartsen charging handle
    1 factory charging handle
    1 cheap aim sports red dot sight
    1 cmore on a stripplin customs 90 degree mount
    1 factory barrel block
    2 tactical solution bolt blocks

i did all that work to turn the blue one (the blue bomber) into my new steel challenge/bowling pin gun, and the red one (the red barron) was my main gun and is now my back up, and thats thanks to someone letting me hold their 10/22 that had the striplin customs 90 degree mount, after that, i had to buy the mounts and install them, so next sunday, i take all 3 to the range to test function and sight them in

the blue bomber is going to the indiana state steel match with me in april!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Sounds like you had a good weekend!
    well Saturday I shot idpa and came in 23rd out of 37 (but on one stage I came in 8th) then worked on the 22/45
    on Sunday I shot steel challenge and cane in 7th out of 50 (and won 1 stage by 1.5 seconds, and on another finished 3rd) then worked on the 10/22’s

so all in all your right, I had a good weekend!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had an interesting & fun experience today.
    I was in a house today with a shooting range in the basement.
    I took a few guns for a friend to enjoy that was with me.

He had brought a 30-35 yr. old Remington semi-auto to the party.
    After he put through a few rounds I had him shoot my RPR.
    The scope wasn't adjusted for his eyes, but he did fine.

Then I started him out on pistols: Glock 44 first. :ar15:
    He was shooting all over the place & couldn't figure out why.
    I told him it was so light it was difficult to shoot. :dunno:

I then put him on a Ruger Mark 3, which he did better, & I told him it was b/c it was heavier & easier to keep on point. :)
    I then put him on a SW 22A & which he did even better, then I got out the best: SW 41: he did great!
    Good groups, but needed the Bushnell red dot adjusted for his eyes (I wouldn't let him touch the adjustments!). :nono:

It was fun to watch someone have fun with your guns.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I had an interesting & fun experience today.
    I was in a house today with a shooting range in the basement.
    I took a few guns for a friend to enjoy that was with me.

He had brought a 30-35 yr. old Remington semi-auto to the party.
    After he put through a few rounds I had him shoot my RPR.
    The scope wasn't adjusted for his eyes, but he did fine.

Then I started him out on pistols: Glock 44 first. :ar15:
    He was shooting all over the place & couldn't figure out why.
    I told him it was so light it was difficult to shoot. :dunno:

I then put him on a Ruger Mark 3, which he did better, & I told him it was b/c it was heavier & easier to keep on point. :)
    I then put him on a SW 22A & which he did even better, then I got out the best: SW 41: he did great!
    Good groups, but needed the Bushnell red dot adjusted for his eyes (I wouldn't let him touch the adjustments!). :nono:

It was fun to watch someone have fun with your guns.

One of my favorite things to do is to introduce someone to a gun that they like (or that has massive amounts of recoil - but that's another personality issue...) and watch them enjoy the experience.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Curious about the very small Ruger LCP 2 .22LR semi-auto. :coffee:
    Anyone here been shooting one?
    Are they worth bothering with for any fun?
    I used to enjoy the challenge of shooting the small tip-up barrel Beretta Bobcat since they were so small.

I knew someone here that had bought one new, but had problems with it & didn't keep it.
    That curbed my interest. :dunno:
    I would have bought it from him, but sounded l like he got a lemon.

They can be bought new everywhere for $319, with one place selling them for $290.
    That would put them around $220 (75% of new) used to get on my radar.
    I've seen them sell around $200 used, which makes me think they weren't happy with them.
    I don't know whether to take them off my radar or look for something else.
    I've always wanted to try out the Browning 1911-22 A-1 (85% sized "full size" = 4.25" barrel, not the "compact" = 3.65" barrel), and metal, not polymer.

RUGER Model #13705 $290
    4m6f1ut.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    They can be bought new everywhere for $319, with one place selling them for $290.
    That would put them around $220 (75% of new) used to get on my radar.
    I've seen them sell around $200 used, which makes me think they weren't happy with them.

I am bidding on a LCP II 22lr now on gunbroker that ends in a few days and a used long barrel 617 too. I wish I could find a used LCP 22 for sale for $200!

I picked up a used like new in box LCP II 380 last summer for $129.99 at Gander in Ft. Wayne and could not believe they were selling it at that price. Turned out to be a great gun for me , totally reliable and so easy to carry. Shoots pretty good too.

Owning the 380 I would love to have the 22lr version. I like having a 22lr version of a centerfire handgun. I was out shooting my 1971 PPK/S 22lr and a few weeks ago and had a great shooting session with it. Also have a 380 PPK/S. Have a Ruger Single Six 22 and Blackhawk 357 , thought they are not the same size they operate the same way. Even if I don't win the auction for the LCP II I will get one eventually.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am bidding on a LCP II 22lr now on gunbroker that ends in a few days and a used long barrel 617 too.
    I wish I could find a used LCP 22 for sale for $200!
    I picked up a used like new in box LCP II 380 last summer for $129.99 at Gander in Ft. Wayne and could not believe they were selling it at that price.
    Turned out to be a great gun for me , totally reliable and so easy to carry. Shoots pretty good too.

That is a great buy in anyone's book. :thumbsup:

Owning the 380 I would love to have the 22lr version. I like having a 22lr version of a centerfire handgun.

Totally makes sense.
    For reasons of nostalgia (from my 30s) I have kept my little Beretta Tomcat Inox .32acp that I really enjoy the challenge of shooting.
    Always been fascinated by the small tip-up barrels.
    I bought a Beretta Bobccat .22LR to shoot just b/c it was similar & so much cheaper to shoot than the Tomcat.
    I've since changed my approach and just shoot the Tomcat & sold the Beretta Bobcat.

I was out shooting my 1971 PPK/S 22lr and a few weeks ago and had a great shooting session with it.
    Also have a 380 PPK/S. Have a Ruger Single Six 22 and Blackhawk 357 , thought they are not the same size they operate the same way.
    Even if I don't win the auction for the LCP II I will get one eventually.

I'm not going to get the LCP 2 in .22LR unless those on INGO show they are reliable. :dunno:
    It's like the Glock 44 I bought: primarily just b/c of it's outstanding reliability.
    There are things I don't like about it: it's too light, elevation sights don't have enough adjustment, and it shoots any respectable ammo brand, and some not so reputable. :)
    I have put 1800 rounds through it with only 6 issues = .0033 failure rate, which is amazing.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A guy on the link below put 2-3 bricks through the LCP 2 in .22LR, fishing for malfunctions.

"... the gun was a blast to shoot and throughout testing, I probably put at least two or three bricks of CCI mini mags through it while I was fishing for malfunctions, I was pleased to find none using that particular ammunition."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/30/tfb-review-ruger-lcp-ii-22-lr/

Another person on americanrifleman said:
    All of the test loads cycled the pistol reliably. There was a single malfunction in the first 100 rounds fired with the Remington load.
    He put through "100s" of rounds.

He used these 7 brands:
    Aguila Super Extra 40-gr. CPRN (1255 f.p.s.)
    CCI Clean-22 PCRN 40-gr. CPRN (1235 f.p.s.)
    CCI Mini Mag 40-gr. CPRN (1235.f.p.s.)
    Federal Champion 40-gr. LRN (1240 f.p.s.)
    Federal Champion BYOB 36-gr. CPHP (1260 f.p.s.)
    Remington Golden Bullet 40-gr. BPRN (1255 f.p.s.)
    Winchester Super-X 40-gr. CPRN ( 1150 f.p.s.)

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/12/30/tested-ruger-lcp-ii-22-lr-pistol/

A comment on someone who posted in a thread:
    "I have more than 800 rounds through my new Ruger LCP II 22LR... all rounds of Aguila, Rem Gold, Rem Subsonic, CCI SV, Minimag, etc. went bang with the exception of six light strikes of Winchester M-22 (which was interesting, as M-22s run perfectly in my Chargers and MK IIs)..."

Another person mentioned that they had some light stirkes in the first 100 rounds, but it went away with no more issues until 500 rounds, but they went on to put 6 more magaines through w/o issue.
    They had not cleaned it yet.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I rented the Ruger LCP .22 at Shoot Point Blank in Merrillville. I was planning on shooting 100 rounds. I stopped at 40. The gun ran fine. I was using CCI mini- mags. It was just no fun. Too small for a "fun" gun. Rent one and shoot it before you buy.

OTOH, I rented a Glock 44 in the same visit. Put 100 rounds through it. That WAS fun. For me, if you just want a plinker/range gun the Glock 44 is the better choice.

BTW, I actually like the Ruger LCP in .380 and shoot it pretty well. I was surprised I didn't like the .22 version. Maybe it was comparing it to the larger Glock on the same visit?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I rented the Ruger LCP .22 at Shoot Point Blank in Merrillville. I was planning on shooting 100 rounds. I stopped at 40. The gun ran fine. I was using CCI mini- mags. It was just no fun. Too small for a "fun" gun. Rent one and shoot it before you buy.

Now that's a head's up!
    The guys I see online talk of what a "fun" plinker it is, and since I have enjoyed shooting micros for the challenge of it, I get it.
    But, there is the, "been there, done that" factor" & I'm ready to move on: I could react the same as you about this LCP 2.

I will heed your warning & rent before I buy.
    I shot member's Walther PPK .22LR once (was interested in buying it), but I was surprised it didn't do anything in the "fun factor" for me, and have stayed away from them since.
    I am open to being "gifted" one however.
    :laugh:
    Having Bersa's small .22 didn't do anything for me as well, but since it was all metal and not plastic, I thought I'd like it but I was wrong.
    :dunno:

OTOH, I rented a Glock 44 in the same visit. Put 100 rounds through it. That WAS fun. For me, if you just want a plinker/range gun the Glock 44 is the better choice.

I agree! I really don't understand it, but it just keeps on ticking and it's accurate enough to keep me interested.
    It is the same fun for me as shooting a micro, since I can't shoot it consistently, but I keep trying.
    Probably b/c it so light: my theory, or as my wife says, "I'm speculating."

For what a LCP 2 in .22LR would cost, I think I'd rather put it toward a Browning 1911-22 if I could find the model & price I'd pay.
    I have been working on a deal for literally a month, but the guy doesn't get back with me, but his ad is still up.
    We had even emailed a few times about his Browning & I was going to pull the trigger on it, but he never got back with me.
    He had been sick, home from work for a week, and maybe he's just too stressed out now, but after 2 weeks, I sent him another email.
    I told him if he's sold it or changed his mind about selling, that's fine, but the ad still being up is strange.

BTW, I actually like the Ruger LCP in .380 and shoot it pretty well. I was surprised I didn't like the .22 version. Maybe it was comparing it to the larger Glock on the same visit?

That could definitely be the case.
    There have been guns I have used that I didn't enjoy that much but later I did, which is probably related to what I was comparing it to that day.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    How was the G44 reliability wise? I passed on one at my lgs in favor of a well priced used tx22 but keep thinking how nice it’d be to have one since I have a g19 already.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How was the G44 reliability wise? I passed on one at my lgs in favor of a well priced used tx22 but keep thinking how nice it’d be to have one since I have a g19 already.

I love my 44. Mine is at just under 900 rounds with roughly a 2% failure rate. I’ve sampled 19 brands I think with the only major issues from from a subsonic that has a 950fps velocity.

I ordered a threaded barrel for mine last night.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I shot a Taurus TX22 at the range a few mags, but it didn't do anything for me: it was "OK."
    I bought the 44 new, and maybe that's part of the attraction for me, since I've only bought 4 new guns, & its fun being a gun's entire history.
    But, the reliability is stunning & that means alot to me since it seems like all used guns need some attention.

I have put 1810 rounds through mine with a failure rate of only 6 (not counting failures-to-fire b/c they fired 2nd time through = ammo the problem).
    That is a failure rate of .0033 ( 6 divided by 1810) or .33% (to change a decimal to a percentage move the decimal over to the right 2 digits).
    Or, you could say: 1/3 of 1%.

Another bonus: it has the most easy to load magazines I've ever experienced: thick & slick & the rounds nearly "drop in," to exaggerate.
    They will load either direction (either side) which is another little detail I appreciate.

I've heard many times about the Glock reliability, and I've have had the 42, 43, 26 & 17 I found that to be the case, but it sure is delightful for that to .22LR that will shoot any decent ammo that I've shot with it with the few failures I've had have been with only 1 or 2 brands of ammo (listed in another post).

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Congrats!!

I’m curious on the how the weight and balance feels for that model. I liked the heavy weight of the Comp model I had, but it just never felt like it balanced quite right compared to my MkIIIs. I’ve wondered how the heavy bull barrel with the aluminum frame feels.

Finally got it out to the range today and didn't even think about the balance. The weight is definitely toward the end of the barrel but I don't mind that. Makes for a steady hold.

Full of Volquartsen parts...

oUqLzuC.jpg

First ten shots taken with my wrists resting on a bag with a 6 o'clock hold at 50' on an NRA 50' pistol target. Not much sighting in needed...

30VYbcF.jpg

20 shots standing with one hand on same size target and distance. Threw a few out of the black...

HoD8Qy4.jpg

This pistol is a keeper.:rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got it out to the range today and didn't even think about the balance. The weight is definitely toward the end of the barrel but I don't mind that. Makes for a steady hold.

Full of Volquartsen parts...

oUqLzuC.jpg

First ten shots taken with my wrists resting on a bag with a 6 o'clock hold at 50' on an NRA 50' pistol target. Not much sighting in needed...

30VYbcF.jpg

20 shots standing with one hand on same size target and distance. Threw a few out of the black...

HoD8Qy4.jpg

This pistol is a keeper.:rockwoot:

Stunning looking gun!
    This won't be politically correct, but it reminds me of the SW Victory.

I just can't believe the accuracy at 50'!!! :wow:
    I've shot with you, and you always beat me (like everyone else I get to shoot with it seems :dunno:). :laugh:
    You are shooting like I do at 30', maybe, depending on the gun.
    One-handed I've never even tried. I'm sure that will be humbling even more.
    Thanks for posting a pic of the gun & the targets: I really enjoy it. :thumbsup:
    Ruger should give you a free gun for the advertisement! :rofl:

Top Bottom