• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I shot July's NRL22 match tonight and love it. Thanks again to all of you that inspired me to get back into .22lr rifles.

Fortunately we had a good breeze while setting up the course as these do take a while to figure out and set and it was HOT. I was soaked before the match. By 6pm when the match started the entire firing line was in the shade and really helped this old guy survive the heat.

My real surprise came when we added up all the scores and I won the open class with 428 out of a possible 500. This month's match seemed easier to complete stages within the 2 minute time limit and I only timed out on one stage costing me a chance at another 40 points, although it is very unlikely I would have got all the points even if I had hustled more.

Here is the course of fire if anyone is interested...https://nrl22.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NRL22_JULY_COF_Final_SM.pdf

If you are getting bored with paper punching, steel shoots and lollipops, give this game a try. It's a blast. If there isn't a match within a reasonable distance of you, start one at your club. I believe it will grow in popularity quickly.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I shot July's NRL22 match tonight and love it. Thanks again to all of you that inspired me to get back into .22lr rifles.

Fortunately we had a good breeze while setting up the course as these do take a while to figure out and set and it was HOT. I was soaked before the match. By 6pm when the match started the entire firing line was in the shade and really helped this old guy survive the heat.

My real surprise came when we added up all the scores and I won the open class with 428 out of a possible 500. This month's match seemed easier to complete stages within the 2 minute time limit and I only timed out on one stage costing me a chance at another 40 points, although it is very unlikely I would have got all the points even if I had hustled more.

Here is the course of fire if anyone is interested...https://nrl22.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NRL22_JULY_COF_Final_SM.pdf

If you are getting bored with paper punching, steel shoots and lollipops, give this game a try. It's a blast. If there isn't a match within a reasonable distance of you, start one at your club. I believe it will grow in popularity quickly.

What club? where are these matches being held? Schedule? Website? Looks like a lot of fun to try.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    What club? where are these matches being held? Schedule? Website? Looks like a lot of fun to try.

6 pm (need to be there by 5:30) First Monday of each month at the Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club's outdoor range near Gnaw Bone, IN.

We are just getting this started and while tonight was just our third match it ran well. The guys are getting their act together very quickly.

If they decide to run them all year round, it will have to happen on a Saturday once there is not enough daylight to do them in the evening.

NRL22 publishes the COF one week before each new month on their website so everyone has a chance to study the course of fire and get their holdovers worked out for the varying distances to be used. You do not have to pay the NRL22's annual fee unless you want your nation wide ranking published and a chance at prizes and national matches.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I will make it down there for one of these upcoming matches. This is what I’ve b even putting the 10/22 together for.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Congrats Reed!

Thanks.

I will make it down there for one of these upcoming matches. This is what I’ve b even putting the 10/22 together for.

They are not on the schedule yet but will be the 1st Monday each month.

Once you settle on the ammo you want to use, make sure you get your holdovers for all of the intermediate ranges. I'd be happy to help the next time I can get you guys down here.

Oh...and practice shooting from awkward positions...lol.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There's a CMP Rimfire sporter competition on the 6th in Bedford I think. I'd post a link but am on my phone.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    6 pm (need to be there by 5:30) First Monday of each month at the Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club's outdoor range near Gnaw Bone, IN.

We are just getting this started and while tonight was just our third match it ran well. The guys are getting their act together very quickly.

If they decide to run them all year round, it will have to happen on a Saturday once there is not enough daylight to do them in the evening.

NRL22 publishes the COF one week before each new month on their website so everyone has a chance to study the course of fire and get their holdovers worked out for the varying distances to be used. You do not have to pay the NRL22's annual fee unless you want your nation wide ranking published and a chance at prizes and national matches.

looks like a lot of fun to try. Can I just show up for a match some time and try it? Or Would I first need to join the club? I'm sure I wouldn't be very competitive, but it loOks like it would be fun to just participate. Depending upon the membership dues, I may want to apply to join the club. But, I'd like to see the facility with my own eyes, meet some club members, etc. from the photos on the website, the outdoor range looks pretty darn nice. It's a bit of a drive from Greenwood, however.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    looks like a lot of fun to try. Can I just show up for a match some time and try it? Or Would I first need to join the club?...

You can just show up. Early is better than late. Let someone know it is your first time at the range and we will help you out. Members $10 non-members $15. Membership is currently $75 per calendar year if you wanted to join.

Everybody is friendly and helpful and we are all just trying to figure this game out. At the next match the stages will be different and I most likely won't do as well. My score for the last match was in the 160's out of 500 possible.

The outdoor range is nice, however the city made it impossible for us to keep the indoor range this year and it is gone forever.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    You can just show up. Early is better than late. Let someone know it is your first time at the range and we will help you out. Members $10 non-members $15. Membership is currently $75 per calendar year if you wanted to join.

Everybody is friendly and helpful and we are all just trying to figure this game out. At the next match the stages will be different and I most likely won't do as well. My score for the last match was in the 160's out of 500 possible.

The outdoor range is nice, however the city made it impossible for us to keep the indoor range this year and it is gone forever.

Thanks! If my work schedule ever lets up, I'm going to try to make a match or two this year. I would be happy to score 100 out of 500. Especially as a newbie.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Went to the range this morning with the goal of shooting for groups at 50 yards and I gave up after ~50 rounds. I was hoping for groups in the 1/4" range. No breeze and I couldn't shoot what I was after at all.

I had one group that had 4 shots in 0.21" and a flyer that opened it up to 0.68". After that was a 5 shot group at 0.473" and a 10 shot at 0.56". The rest of the groups were larger and typically had flyers 1/2" or more from the centers.

If I can't shoot a 1/4" group on a calm day, that's on me, but the way it performed today I'm blaming it on a barrel that needs a thorough cleaning. Time to tear it down so I can get a cleaning rod in the breach. I knew there was a reason I never owned a 10/22 based rifle before this...I just didn't know what it was. Total PIA to clean.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Another idea for targets. A box of toothpicks, rubber gloves and a tub of these.....

81-08Zlxt9L._SL1500_.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Went to the range this morning with the goal of shooting for groups at 50 yards and I gave up after ~50 rounds. I was hoping for groups in the 1/4" range. No breeze and I couldn't shoot what I was after at all.

I had one group that had 4 shots in 0.21" and a flyer that opened it up to 0.68". After that was a 5 shot group at 0.473" and a 10 shot at 0.56". The rest of the groups were larger and typically had flyers 1/2" or more from the centers.

If I can't shoot a 1/4" group on a calm day, that's on me, but the way it performed today I'm blaming it on a barrel that needs a thorough cleaning. Time to tear it down so I can get a cleaning rod in the breach. I knew there was a reason I never owned a 10/22 based rifle before this...I just didn't know what it was. Total PIA to clean.

Drill a hole in the back of the rcvr.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Does your Kidd receiver not have the hole in the back?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Drill a hole in the back of the rcvr.

It is a Kidd receiver which has the hole but the Titan stock Kidd rear anchor is attached through it which also has to be removed. Not a big deal, just a pain compared to a bolt action were you pull the bolt and you're gtg.

The barreled action required one hand holding it against a patch being pushed through or brush until I realized a vise and barrel block makes it hands free. That was a nice change tonight.

I hope to get the stock drilled tomorrow so I can take the temporary blue tape off that's holding the cheek riser in place.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I rarely if ever clean the barrel on my 10/22 smallbore gun. I leave that bore alone. I'll clean the bolt face and around the chamber though. I only fire 60 shots + sighters at a match though. It's not like it gets filthy.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Out of curiosity, have your tried it with and without the rear anchor? Just curious if your seeing a benefit to the rear anchor.

No, I've only used it with the rear anchor allowing the rear to be bolted to the stock as in most Bolt actions.

I rarely if ever clean the barrel on my 10/22 smallbore gun. I leave that bore alone. I'll clean the bolt face and around the chamber though. I only fire 60 shots + sighters at a match though. It's not like it gets filthy.

I think this is where I screwed up. I hadn't cleaned the barrel breach face and bolt face as thoroughly as I thought. I'm guessing there was a couple of thousands build up and the increase in headspace might better explain the inconsistency I was observing...or at least that's my best guess.

Top Bottom