• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had, modified, built, and rebuilt better than a dozen 10/22's over the years. Fun to experiment with. I've got a bunch of higher end rimfires these days and all of them will better .5 at 50yds with ammo they like and a steady hand at the tiller. It's a giant rabbit hole you all have started down that can end with $2200 Coopers, $4000 Anschutz's, and $5000 to $7000 Dakota's and customs. Y'all have my deepest sympaties.

Building 10/22s is fun though. So many ways to skin that cat.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That is frustrating.
    I think the factory handguard is sandwiched in between the barrel nut and upper receiver. Tacticool22 makes a conversion barrel nut to allow the use of aftermarket AR handguards. I've read some people say it helps with accuracy/consistency also.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've had, modified, built, and rebuilt better than a dozen 10/22's over the years. Fun to experiment with. I've got a bunch of higher end rimfires these days and all of them will better .5 at 50yds with ammo they like and a steady hand at the tiller. It's a giant rabbit hole you all have started down that can end with $2200 Coopers, $4000 Anschutz's, and $5000 to $7000 Dakota's and customs. Y'all have my deepest sympaties.
    Not this guy. I know my limits and they're nowhere near the last 4 dollar amounts you listed.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I could see maybe 2K on a nice sporter. Not counting scope. But am content w sub .5 at fifty and that can be had for less. Wanted a 1022 that would do it. Was happy it was achieved for just 400. But once had.....I was bored Could spend more to shave it some. And if it was a hunter proly would to some extent. But i just have no use for a bench type rifle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Something like this might be helpful for you:

https://bradleycheekrest.com

I looked this over.
    So many choices: overwhelming.
    When I go to the range with someone experienced about such things they will be able to tell whether these would help.
    It seems like they would be raising my head/eye and it follows that it would also lift my head up and over to the left some.
    That is the opposite it what I'm having to do now in my neck having to go right and down for my eye to line up the glass in the scope.
    In my inexperience, it seems that a stock angled lower would solve my issues, so I wouldn't have to angle my neck down, but it would more naturally line my head/eye with the scope. :dunno:
    When I get to shoot with someone at the range that's experienced they will be able to see what I'm doing and advise.
    Maybe, with the arthritis, nothing is going to help, but maybe there is a configuration of higher rings combined with higher rails and the correct angle of stock will be helpful.
    If not, I'll just be limited to shooting 150 - 200 rounds at a range session till my neck says I'm not having fun anymore. :)
    I have had a Ruger Charger with a red dot that I bought off a member months ago, that I haven't even taken the time to play with yet.
    I was saving it for this summer since I've been too busy with other gun pursuits, including this 10/22 I got a couple of weeks ago.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Out of curiousity, what's a reasonable cost estimate to get a bone stock entry level 10/22 to shoot 1moa using non-match ammo like say CCI SV ?? How much total investment after upgrades, not including optics.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Think the Anschutz id like to have is around 1700. If i was retired thatd proly be what id get. With current time avail/activities.......itd just sit in the safe

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Not this guy. I know my limits and they're nowhere near the last 4 dollar amounts you listed.

The whole precision shooting thing just has so many variables. For folks that like to tinker and have good knowledge levels it can be fun. For me it was always the angst about what don't I know, what do I need to know, am I adjusting stuff correctly, etc, and got nerve racking (that was just shooting my 308 bolt gun -- 22LR would be a bit better as I could get to places I could shoot it much quicker, but still). The stuff I have now is about getting it setup and just staying reasonable proficient and slinging some lead at some steel. Just happy to get the red dot setup to reliably smack the steel.

I think the factory handguard is sandwiched in between the barrel nut and upper receiver. Tacticool22 makes a conversion barrel nut to allow the use of aftermarket AR handguards. I've read some people say it helps with accuracy/consistency also.

Back when I got my 15-22 several years ago I had done some reading on some of that. If you decide to dip your toe into that water, I'd be interested in hearing your results. I don't know a ton about the various handguards, etc, but it would be cool to do a free float, etc if it could be done on my 15-22 for a reasonable cost. I have not read up more on that in years.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Out of curiousity, what's a reasonable cost estimate to get a bone stock entry level 10/22 to shoot 1moa using non-match ammo like say CCI SV ?? How much total investment after upgrades, not including optics.

I’d plan on rifle+barrel+trigger at the minimum. For my tastes, rifle plus $350.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    had a Ruger Charger with a red dot that I bought off a member months ago, that I haven't even taken the time to play with yet.
    I was saving it for this summer since I've been too busy with other gun pursuits, including this 10/22 I got a couple of weeks ago.

This would drive me nuts. I get something I have to shoot it to see if it will function, etc. That Charger might be just the thing to fix that neck problem.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I looked this over.
    So many choices: overwhelming.
    When I go to the range with someone experienced about such things they will be able to tell whether these would help.
    It seems like they would be raising my head/eye and it follows that it would also lift my head up and over to the left some.
    That is the opposite it what I'm having to do now in my neck having to go right and down for my eye to line up the glass in the scope.
    In my inexperience, it seems that a stock angled lower would solve my issues, so I wouldn't have to angle my neck down, but it would more naturally line my head/eye with the scope. :dunno:
    When I get to shoot with someone at the range that's experienced they will be able to see what I'm doing and advise.
    Maybe, with the arthritis, nothing is going to help, but maybe there is a configuration of higher rings combined with higher rails and the correct angle of stock will be helpful.
    If not, I'll just be limited to shooting 150 - 200 rounds at a range session till my neck says I'm not having fun anymore. :)
    I have had a Ruger Charger with a red dot that I bought off a member months ago, that I haven't even taken the time to play with yet.
    I'm only going to comment on your "dilemma" once, but I think these two videos would do you some good. Watch them once, twice, take notes. Hopefully it helps you out.

[video=youtube_share;Qr4I4bor2HY]https://youtu.be/Qr4I4bor2HY[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;0dsS7Bs99rc]https://youtu.be/0dsS7Bs99rc[/video]
    0dsS7Bs99rc

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

A Green Mountain bbl around 140 bucks. You can do trigger and stock mods yourself. Maybe sandpaper/ Dremel bits and epoxy. So another 25-50 bucks depending.

Or you can buy a stock that needs nothing for 150 ish ( Victor Titan ). I have 400 in my rig. Thats w new Volq hammer GM bbl and Titan stock.......yes........about 75 in my Ruger receiver/bolt/trigger group. Bought a used birch mannlicher at good price and got decent chunk back since stock was mint (sold on auction site). So im at 400 for my rifle alone. Was tickled with .4 at 50yds at that price. Goal was sub .5

Only tried on type if match ammo too. Dunno if that THE ammo for that gun or it better w something else.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What about a good stock that free floats the barrel? Are the Magpul ones any good?

Need for a stock is somewhat dependent on the donor 10/22, the replacement barrel you pick and how OK you are with aesthetic warts.

10/22 rifle with the sported barrel to start ($220 at Buds), ditch the barrel band, Kidd taper barrel ($215) and open the stock the minor amount to free float, Kidd trigger kit/tuning springs ($112.50) and Kidd trigger pins ($6). Won’t be the bell of the ball, but should be a good shooter. Give or take, $550 before optics.

If you upgrade the stock, you are quickly approaching TacSol X-Ring territory. Personally, I’d rather have a TacSol receiver all day long over the Ruger receiver. So that’s worth the bump in cost in my book.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This would drive me nuts. I get something I have to shoot it to see if it will function, etc. That Charger might be just the thing to fix that neck problem.

You could be spot on!
    I was actually thinking the same thing, and now that retirement is here (1 day left) and summer will be in full swing: out will come the Charger and give it a chance.
    Can't wait to dial the red dot in that came with it, and see how it compares to my other pistols, and how close it will come to the 10/22: my idea of fun! :rockwoot:

Concerning about waiting to shoot a gun I've bought, I feel the same way.
    I go directly to the range with a new gun, or get to it in a day or two, but that Charger was the exception for whatever reason.
    It had a red dot with it, and I'd never messed/adjusted one before, but I bought a S/W Victory set up for competition with a red dot, so that takes the mystery out of how to adjust it.
    I love the adjustments on the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x40 (came on 10/22) and can't wait to perhaps get another scope for one of my handguns instead of a red dot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom