• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    That looks like Hoosier Hills Gnaw Bone, IN.

:dunno:

Yes, as Ggreen stated, it is the HHRP range.

Another view...

8mPKvHg.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Finished the Steyr scout off. AA had refurb scout scopes for under 100. It's a fun shooter, I only zeroed at 20 yards today but the groups were touching. Should make a wonderful utility rifle. I've got a thread adapter on the way to use my suppressor.

exj7yos.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Finished the Steyr scout off. AA had refurb scout scopes for under 100. It's a fun shooter, I only zeroed at 20 yards today but the groups were touching. Should make a wonderful utility rifle. I've got a thread adapter on the way to use my suppressor.

exj7yos.jpg

That looks awesome! But I have a question. Could you explain the position of the scope? I know it would be to get it out of the way for the bolt handle. Outside of that, I'm clueless. I'm assuming the eye relief is specifically set up on this scope for this use?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That looks awesome! But I have a question. Could you explain the position of the scope? I know it would be to get it out of the way for the bolt handle. Outside of that, I'm clueless. I'm assuming the eye relief is specifically set up on this scope for this use?

It is a col. Cooper thing, and honestly it's outdated. Scout rifle craft still interests me tho. The original reason for the forward mount was ease of access to the action for reloading. Everything about cooper's original scout rifle had a purpose and he really did a good job of developing a rifle for a role no one was looking to fill lol. The forward optic is redundant on a mag feed, more interesting than practical. This rifle came with adapters to mount a traditional optic on the receiver, but what's the fun in that?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    That's definitely interesting. I knew cooper was directly involved in the design and had a general idea of a scout rifles role. I had just never seen a scope on one now that I think about it. Is it a specific scope designed for mounting so far forward, or will a pistol scope do?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yes, as Ggreen stated, it is the HHRP range.

Another view...

8mPKvHg.jpg

Definitely need to find a time I can meet up with you out there. I might decide to join as I need a place to shoot Annie on the weekends. Most ranges seem to set all their classes and competitions on the weekends, which is the only time I can reasonably get to the range.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That's definitely interesting. I knew cooper was directly involved in the design and had a general idea of a scout rifles role. I had just never seen a scope on one now that I think about it. Is it a specific scope designed for mounting so far forward, or will a pistol scope do?

I'm sure a pistol scope would work. This is a vortex crossfire 2-7x scout scope. There are a few options for dedicated scout optics still available. This is one of the better ones I've had my hands on.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm sure a pistol scope would work. This is a vortex crossfire 2-7x scout scope. There are a few options for dedicated scout optics still available. This is one of the better ones I've had my hands on.

:yesway: way cool. And now I know. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Looks like my T1x should be here Friday. Hopefully I'll have time to pick it up Saturday but with Mother's Day festivities time is going to be in short supply. If not it'll have to wait until next weekend.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It is a col. Cooper thing, and honestly it's outdated. Scout rifle craft still interests me tho. The original reason for the forward mount was ease of access to the action for reloading. Everything about cooper's original scout rifle had a purpose and he really did a good job of developing a rifle for a role no one was looking to fill lol. The forward optic is redundant on a mag feed, more interesting than practical. This rifle came with adapters to mount a traditional optic on the receiver, but what's the fun in that?

FYI, those adapters can mar your receiver and aren't all that secure. I have Leupold rimfire dovetail mounts on mine which work well if you ever want to conventionally mount a scope.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I ordered the stock for my lightweight X-ring build I’m working on! Goal is 4lbs with an optic

Barrel/Reciever/Trigger pack weigh in at 2lbs 6oz. Stock is claimed to be 1lb 3oz. That leaves 7oz for the optic. I’m currently leaning toward the Hawke Reflex Wide View, which is a claimed 4.2oz. As long the stock’s weight is close, I should make with room to spare. We shall know sure in a couple of weeks.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I ordered the stock for my lightweight X-ring build I’m working on! Goal is 4lbs with an optic

Barrel/Reciever/Trigger pack weigh in at 2lbs 6oz. Stock is claimed to be 1lb 3oz. That leaves 7oz for the optic. I’m currently leaning toward the Hawke Reflex Wide View, which is a claimed 4.2oz. As long the stock’s weight is close, I should make with room to spare. We shall know sure in a couple of weeks.

Steiner MRS is only 70grams ~2.5 Oz. 3moa dot and a real nice sight. Refurb for 315 delivered eurooptic

On my stribog
    h4nXoNu.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! It’s one to keep in mind. I’ve found several ways to cut another 5oz a lighter optic like that would make it over 7oz lighter. Totally blows my current budget though. It would be theoretically possible to build a 3.5lb 10/22.

For now though, the Hawke offers some benefits like a 1.4” window and being half as expensive.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks! It’s one to keep in mind. I’ve found several ways to cut another 5oz a lighter optic like that would make it over 7oz lighter. Totally blows my current budget though. It would be theoretically possible to build a 3.5lb 10/22.

For now though, the Hawke offers some benefits like a 1.4” window and being half as expensive.

With that Hawke reliability and quality. :/ I understand budgets tho.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With that Hawke reliability and quality. :/ I understand budgets tho.

My current Hawke scopes have been some of the best I’ve had. I won’t buy another Leupold or Vortex.

Red dots can be a different bag though. We shall see how the plus sized red dot does. It’s only $40 less than I paid for my last Vortex red dot, not exactly a budget price.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom