• zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    don’t forget to mention how pricey the scope on my. Savage is

apparently the accutrigger is no joke. I haven’t stretched it out much but I have been impressed with the savage

I picked up zachcz's Savage 2 in Shelbyville for the 2nd time this evening & even though it beat my RPR @ 100 yds, it wasn't on the same day.
    I'm holding onto the hope that it was b/c of using different ammo or the wind. :dunno:
    My last hope to redeem my Rugers against his discount, youth, light, plastic Savage: but it still beat me! :ugh:

But, tomorrow, I'll do a head-to-head with both rifles, using the same ammo.
    I think I'll get out my CCI SV & take along some CCI Mini-Mags as back up.

I just made arrangements to try out another rifle from another member to see how it shoots, but I forgot to ask permission to post about it.
    I'm picking it up Thursday if everything goes to plan.
    Details to follow on that one: it's an interesting outlier! :coffee:
    On another note: after firing Rala/Bob's Kimber single-shot Monday when we met for me to check out his Henry Pump, I looked it up on Armslist.
    Not a single one for sale used in the whole U.S.

I was interested after seeing what Rala did with it: putting 1 hole in a target at 100 yds.
    Actually, it was one single mark after 5 shots on a steel target I'd sprayed white paint on.
    I probably couldn't do that with my eyes & my level of scopes, but I can dream.

Previous pic with Savage 2 (about 3.5 - 4" group)
    nKpvPX3.jpg

Previous RPR pic on 4" red target
    joJISEd.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    don’t forget to mention how pricey the scope on my. Savage is 

apparently the accutrigger is no joke. I haven’t stretched it out much but I have been impressed with the savage

It's not mine to say, but that is the hilarious part about it all. :)
    You might be the only person on this site who spends less on a scope than I do, and I've never even admitted how little I paid for a couple of mine b/c of embarrassment & stones that will be thrown b/c I went cheap.

Interesting to note your comment about the accutrigger.
    Shooting at longer distances is really teaching me why a 1.5 - 2# trigger is a God-send.
    A luxury maybe, at 7, 10, & 15 yds, but a necessity at 100 yds.

As soon as I get my 100 yds more consistent, I'll start using that digital caliper you mentioned to measure groups: maybe I'll start tomorrow.
    I have had them in my range bag, but to busy just trying to get w/i 6 inches of the center: any side of the center. :dunno:
    The 4" red sticky targets will serve me well when I get to the point I can get all my shots inside it. :laugh:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    no reason to spend a fortune on stuff I don’t really need. It works perfect for what I want it to do. No reason to spend more for no real benefit. 100 is probably pushing the scope to its limits. In reality I’ll rarely shoot over 50 yards so why in the world would I buy a $500 scope for that? That could get me another 22 range toy lol

It's not mine to say, but that is the hilarious part about it all. :)
    You might be the only person on this site who spends less on a scope than I do, and I've never even admitted how little I paid for a couple of mine b/c of embarrassment & stones that will be thrown b/c I went cheap.

Interesting to note your comment about the accutrigger.
    Shooting at longer distances is really teaching me why a 1.5 - 2# trigger is a God-send.
    A luxury maybe, at 7, 10, & 15 yds, but a necessity at 100 yds.

As soon as I get my 100 yds more consistent, I'll start using that digital caliper you mentioned to measure groups: maybe I'll start tomorrow.
    I have had them in my range bag, but to busy just trying to get w/i 6 inches of the center: any side of the center. :dunno:
    The 4" red sticky targets will serve me well when I get to the point I can get all my shots inside it. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    no reason to spend a fortune on stuff I don’t really need. It works perfect for what I want it to do. No reason to spend more for no real benefit. 100 is probably
    pushing the scope to its limits. In reality I’ll rarely shoot over 50 yards so why in the world would I buy a $500 scope for that? That could get me another 22 range toy lol

True enough.
    Since I have been limited to 17 & 25 yds on indoor ranges, I've never needed expensive optics either.
    Although, it is always nice to have that "better" rifle. :)
    I just needed something to be able to see the target with and optics took everything to another level of enjoyment.

However, since my new home for rifles is now at 100 yds, I start off finding my new binoculars (Nikon 10x50) that I picked up from a member are no longer adequate and had to get a spotting scope (Bushnell Sentry 18-36 x 50) that I picked up from TJK.

Hopefully I won't want to go out to 200 yds as gmcttr warned! :dunno:
    That really doesn't even seem fathomable at this point with my eyes.
    I'm don't think I even have the temperament/patience for long-distance shooting. :laugh:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    To be perfectly honest, with a .22 I've been perfectly happy shooting at 25 and 50 yards. Going out to 100 on occasion is fun, but the only time I can see wanting to do 200 yards is just to hit steel to see if I can do it. I have no desire to shoot for groups at that distance. If I wanted to go that distance, I'd pick up a 17hmr or a nice centerfire bolt gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    To be perfectly honest, with a .22 I've been perfectly happy shooting at 25 and 50 yards. Going out to 100 on occasion is fun, but the only time I can see wanting to do 200 yards is just to hit steel to see if I can do it. I have no desire to shoot for groups at that distance. If I wanted to go that distance, I'd pick up a 17hmr or a nice centerfire bolt gun.

Thanks for saying so. :thumbsup:
    gmcttr warning to me that there was more to come was heard. :)
    He is my oldest "1st contact" here on INGO, so when he speaks: I listen with fear & trembling since I don't want to go down that road of 200 yds.
    Your steel illustration does sound fun though! :rockwoot:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It depends on what you want to do. gmcttr is a fantastic shot and loves to push his skills. He shoots competitively at the matches HHRP hosts and does very well. I, on the other hand, like to take my time and shoot for groups, or bust lollipops at 25 or 50 yards. I've just started shooting bolt action .22's couple years ago and very much enjoy a slower pace. I like testing various types of ammo to see what does best out of my guns and prefer when I can shoot really good groups from cheaper ammo, as opposed to using match grade ammo that costs 4x or more as much. I have no desire to shoot competitively, at least for now. I find it very Zen to go out on a quiet morning and do some nice, slow shooting with my rifles. Ask 88, we met up several times last summer to do this and both really enjoyed it. Maybe one day I'll want to shoot at a faster pace at a longer distance, but for now I'm happy with what I'm doing. Nothing at all wrong with the way gmcttr is shooting as it's what makes him happy, I just enjoy something different. You need to figure out what makes you happy and do that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It depends on what you want to do. gmcttr is a fantastic shot and loves to push his skills. He shoots competitively at the matches HHRP hosts and does very well. I, on the other hand, like to take my time and shoot for groups, or bust lollipops at 25 or 50 yards. I've just started shooting bolt action .22's couple years ago and very much enjoy a slower pace. I like testing various types of ammo to see what does best out of my guns and prefer when I can shoot really good groups from cheaper ammo, as opposed to using match grade ammo that costs 4x or more as much. I have no desire to shoot competitively, at least for now. I find it very Zen to go out on a quiet morning and do some nice, slow shooting with my rifles. Ask 88, we met up several times last summer to do this and both really enjoyed it. Maybe one day I'll want to shoot at a faster pace at a longer distance, but for now I'm happy with what I'm doing. Nothing at all wrong with the way gmcttr is shooting as it's what makes him happy, I just enjoy something different. You need to figure out what makes you happy and do that.

Your last comment spoke to me: "You need to figure out what makes you happy and do that."
    I'm sure you have figured out that I go about life differently, which includes "the hobby." :)
    Never doubt the way I do it brings much joy & fulfillment to me.

My 3 year journey revisiting some fun during my youth after a 30 year hiatus has been good for me.
    It has been a needed distraction transitioning from work to retirement.
    I used to love riding motorcycles, but arthritis took that away from me gradually
    Shooting has helped to fill that gap, as long sit & rest the back, I can enjoy the range.
    I've met good people here at INGO :ingo:.
    For me, it's not just about the great variety of guns I enjoy pursuing, but the people that accompany the hobby that keeps interesting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    RPR vs zackcz's Savage 2 on the same paper using my new 4" targets (I'm going to love them).
    Beneath this "final" target are some practice rounds with better shots.

Rifles tied with rounds in the X ring (4 each), but I forgot to complete the 5 rounds with the Savage 2 only shooting 3 rounds. :wallbash:
    Close, but the Savage had nothing outside the 4" ring, but that just makes me the X factor.
    I took CCI SV, but it shot inches off with the Savage & with the RPR, but not so much with the latter.
    The Aguila Super Extra 40 grain LSN did better in each rifle.
    nUgO3qi.jpg

RPR practice: app. 2" circles
    GpcfSKL.jpg

Savage 2 practice: app. 2" circles
    y1XfXQc.jpg

Savage 2 circles: app. 2" circles
    bfcu3fP.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    RPR vs zackcz's Savage 2 on the same paper using my new 4" targets (I'm going to love them).

Rifles tied with rounds in the X ring (4 each), but I forgot to complete the 5 rounds with the Savage 2 only shooting 3 rounds. :wallbash:
    Close, but the Savage had nothing outside the 4" ring, but that just makes me the X factor.
    I took CCI SV, but it shot inches off with the Savage & with the RPR, but not so much with the latter.
    nUgO3qi.jpg

GpcfSKL.jpg

y1XfXQc.jpg

bfcu3fP.jpg

That's good shooting guys. Now I am having a strong desire yo buy a Ruger RPR in 22lr. After the crazy gun economy calms down.

This one looks good :patriot:
    https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/specSheets/8422.html

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's good shooting guys. Now I am having a strong desire yo buy a Ruger RPR in 22lr. After the crazy gun economy calms down.

This one looks good :patriot:
    https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/specSheets/8422.html

I "accidentally" ended up with two RPRs from last November through the winter.
    When I originally was looking for one, I couldn't find a used one for $500 with a scope, but finally did.

Then another one from Aeroflyer bacame available that had an upgraded Green Mountain barrel & a better scope & I believe a tripod, so I bought it, thinking it would be a quick sale for the other one to pay for my indulgence.

When I went to sell the original one I had I couldn't get anyone interested at the $500 that I paid, & had only 2-3 offers of less.
    I finally "gave it away" at a loss ($450), which I rarely need to do but I needed $$ b/c of other purchases.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    another win for the cheap gun and even cheaper scope. That’s what I like to see!

good shooting!!!!

nUgO3qi.jpg

GpcfSKL.jpg

y1XfXQc.jpg

bfcu3fP.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    another win for the cheap gun and even cheaper scope. That’s what I like to see!

good shooting!!!!

You are my favorite friend that I don't like! :rofl:
    But, I'll still return your Savage 2 today since I don't want to torture myself with a 3rd range time having to face reality.
    I tried to blame in on ammo or wind, but that didn't work out well for me.
    I'll keep practicing until I can get more rounds into the X ring so I can hold my head up and outlive the shame of being beaten at my own hands by a rig 1/2 the price of mine.
    I'm used to Aeroflyer or gmcttr taking my own guns and beating me with them :wallbash:, but this adds insult to injury. :lmfao:
    What great fun, though!
    I've dialed in 3 of your rifles now: waiting for more, please.
    I'm picking up a rifle later this evening that I'm taking to the range Friday, but at least it's not 1/2 the price of mine. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ruger Precision Rimfire rifle/ Aguila 40 grn, SV/ 5 rounds at 50 yds [FONT=&amp]

txfTYwc.jpg
    [/FONT]

:wow: Now that's what I'm talking about!!! :thumbsup:
    Totally amazing to me!

I don't even know how that's possible b/c of heartbeats. :dunno:
    I can see my crosshairs moving with every beat, which I never noticed at 25 yds.
    I take breaths & breathe out slowly; I try to shoot after a beat.
    I try to relax (if that's possible).

I have thought that perhaps I should go back to 50 yds & start there.
    I know with handguns, on a day that I'm not doing that well at 21' I just bring it back to 15' so I don't leave the range depressed. :laugh:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    :wow: Now that's what I'm talking about!!! :thumbsup:
    Totally amazing to me!

I don't even know how that's possible b/c of heartbeats. :dunno:
    I can see my crosshairs moving with every beat, which I never noticed at 25 yds.
    I take breaths & breathe out slowly; I try to shoot after a beat.
    I try to relax (if that's possible).

I have thought that perhaps I should go back to 50 yds & start there.
    I know with handguns, on a day that I'm not doing that well at 21' I just bring it back to 15' so I don't leave the range depressed. :laugh:

Start at 50 yards or even 25 yards, until you're doing the best you can and then reach out to farther distances. You want to get your basics down and see progress before going out farther where every little mistake makes an even larger difference. At least that's my opinion. Slow down, take your time and get your basics down and enjoy the shooting. Once you have all of that down the groups will start to tighten up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom