Recommended avenues for selling your rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy Y'all. I'm looking to sell my rifle and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on the best way to go about doing so. The rifle in question is being sold to fund an upgrade to a Savage Target receiver. It's a Savage model 12 BJTV in .223. Any help is appreciated. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong topic forum.
    Thank you for your time. -Ben

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yep. Get 50 quality posts (not just one liners to up your post count, actually contribute something or ask thoughtful questions) or you can become a Site Supporter (I recommend doing this anyway cuz INGO rocks) and you can just post it up here.

I hope you are not trying to skirt the rules and use this thread as your means of selling. It won't work.

Welcome to INGO, stick around and make some friends.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I'm not trying to skirt the classifieds. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. My other option was something like gunbroker, but those sites always seem so iffy.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm not trying to skirt the classifieds. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. My other option was something like gunbroker, but those sites always seem so iffy.

Personally, I like to sell/buy stuff in person...at least guns. I buy ammo and other things online, but can't wrap my head around buying a gun online. Don't really want the hassle of selling one online either. I like to shake a guys hand when the deal is done...but that's just me. Other people will tell you good things about GunBroker.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, if history (for me) is any guide:

1. Make sign out of back of legal pad and Sharpie.

2. Hang sign around neck and walk around gun show.

3. Sell gun.

4. Profit.

5. Use profit to buy another gun at gun show which you do not need and can not use.

6. Regret buying new gun.

7. Go to Internet to justify buying useless gun.

In a nutshell, that's my advice.:D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

No problem. You are doing fine so far. Better to ask and understand. Trying to make a run around the classifieds post rule is a regular occurrence here and those people are routinely swatted down by the mods who enforce the rules. The rule is intended to help build the community and get people involved rather than simply using INGO as a classifieds site. There are places that serve that purpose, but INGO is intended as a gun community with the classifieds as a perk for contributing members. Reading and posting on the site allows us to know a little about you and allows you to better understand INGO and the people here.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I haven't done business on here, except for one time. But INGO would be my preferred method, because I have paid attention to the members here, and I have a good idea of the people I would have no problem dealing with. It really is a community.

I once sold sold two guns to a guy on an Armslist deal. The experience was actually really good, and the guy was pretty cool. Frankly, I figure I hit the lottery. Most gun owners are really cool folks, but I could have just as easily been meeting thug #1 while thugs #2 and #3 took me out.

Never bought or sold through Gunbroker.

Kirk's gunshow method seems to work well. I always look, but the guys I see always have a $600 mosin or .22 LR AR. Put a fair price on it, don't dress like in your militia fatigues complete with Doritos stains, groom yourself and I'll definitely look, as will many folks. You'll get some lowball offers, I'm sure, but someone will give you close to what you ask.

If the members here immediately brought up skirting the classifieds, you'll understand that they have seen more than a few threads that went something like "well, I wanted to sell my hi-point tactical wizard widget, but the rules suck, so who wants to buy this sweet piece for $400?". This is invariably from a member with <5 posts.

Welcome to INGO, this place is awesome. Not everyone is awesome all the time, but that's because we are people. Hope you stick around!

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't done business on here, except for one time. But INGO would be my preferred method, because I have paid attention to the members here, and I have a good idea of the people I would have no problem dealing with. It really is a community.

I once sold sold two guns to a guy on an Armslist deal. The experience was actually really good, and the guy was pretty cool. Frankly, I figure I hit the lottery. Most gun owners are really cool folks, but I could have just as easily been meeting thug #1 while thugs #2 and #3 took me out.

Never bought or sold through Gunbroker.

Kirk's gunshow method seems to work well. I always look, but the guys I see always have a $600 mosin or .22 LR AR. Put a fair price on it, don't dress like in your militia fatigues complete with Doritos stains, groom yourself and I'll definitely look, as will many folks. You'll get some lowball offers, I'm sure, but someone will give you close to what you ask.

If the members here immediately brought up skirting the classifieds, you'll understand that they have seen more than a few threads that went something like "well, I wanted to sell my hi-point tactical wizard widget, but the rules suck, so who wants to buy this sweet piece for $400?". This is invariably from a member with <5 posts.

Welcome to INGO, this place is awesome. Not everyone is awesome all the time, but that's because we are people. Hope you stick around!

Grooming (including body odor) is key here.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My means of selling a gun or gun related items, favored to least favored.
    1. INGO or other fora classifieds. Usually know a little about the other person, never had a bad experience. Not going to be much help to the OP right now, quite a few other fora also require some degree of posting/requirements to sell.
    2. Trading with a dealer. Lose a % of the cash value but can get me into what I want quicker. When I look at the time involved and hassles of trying to sell something myself, sometimes its worth it if your dealer is a honest, straight-up dealer.
    3. Gunbroker. Never a bad experience either, but usually more time involved from start to finish and shipping can be a hassle. If buying its unlikely you'll see the item in person.
    4. Consignment. Let the dealer handle the hassles, but will lose some $ over selling it yourself.
    5. Gun shows. Selling a firearm to a total stranger with no FFL involved, not my favorite thing to do. Also not always a show around or have time to go when I want to sell/buy something.
    6. Armslist, other anonymous classifieds. Again, selling to a total stranger. Also have had a deal set and had the other person back out/not show more than once.

Just my :twocents:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    In relation...... Where is a good place to find out what you are wanting to sell is worth so a person knows where to set the starting point before listing it?

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Don't use INGO classified. These people don't buy squat. Unless it's a desperate sale and the price is really low. They also think their guns they are trying to sell are made out of gold.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't use INGO classified. These people don't buy squat. Unless it's a desperate sale and the price is really low. They also think their guns they are trying to sell are made out of gold.

And another negative comment about the site and it's members.

If you do not like the site.......go find another one to be negative on.

Seriously.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    I know, I know. I am trying to stay off the forums. Because I know you guys dont like it when someone tells the truth on this site. Sorry, I will try to stop. I posted on another thread today. I will try hard to make that my last.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know, I know. I am trying to stay off the forums. Because I know you guys dont like it when someone tells the truth on this site. Sorry, I will try to stop. I posted on another thread today. I will try hard to make that my last.

There is positive here if you let it be.

Lots of it. I find it all the time.

What you see as Truth we see as "What"...............just the differences in folks.

I have no problems buying/selling in the classy's. If you do not like the price.....move on. Why get angry.

Top Bottom