• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Most ammo sold today will be good till 2100ad, providing it's stored properly.
    Sounds impossible to me, like firing pins that stamp an ID # on the primer.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Well, I am glad at least I gave some people a laugh. I will go to him in the morning and tell him I heard it was true. Maybe he will buy out the state.:D

No way I could do that with straight face.....let us know if he buys it....I have this bridge.......

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I can just imagine all the lawsuits when your carry ammo expires 3 days before you're in a life and death situation. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, how could you design ammo with a shelf life, but still make it safe and effective? That would be a tough thing to do, not to mention a complete waste of time.

Man, am I glad I reload...and that I don't believe much of anything I read online or hear around the water cooler. :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Two things happened in the mid-90's.

One was the rumor that all primers made after a certain deadline would go dead after a certain period of time. The internet was not what it is today, but this rumor still caused lots of folks to stock up on primers, causing a temporary shortage.

Two was the real effort by those who wanted to put taggants in powder so a trace could be made after a shooting. The strongest effort to do this was in California. Because of the effects on burn rates and the inability to keep track of the nuances in the taggents, the effort was abandoned. It is still talked about and I believe that if "they" can get it done, they will.

The primer story seems to have a life of its own. It just never dies. The powder story could become real someday. But not yet.

There ARE lots of folks that wish for and dream about ammo that goes dead, technology is not there yet. If it gets there, watch out.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Most ammo sold today will be good till 2100ad, providing it's stored properly.
    Sounds impossible to me, like firing pins that stamp an ID # on the primer.

Well, hell. What am I supposed to do after 2100?
    Just throw it all away???

It is amazing to me how stable that stuf is. I've mentioned before on this forum how I stopped shooting for years and had no prob at all with 15+ year old ammo. Even some .22 LR last weekend the same age had no problem (in my new Ruger 22/45 Lite - :rockwoot:)

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    nagant ammo that's older than my old man showed up today.. that mean i wasted money on it?

Nah that just means you got a load of the Pre-Ban ammo....don't shoot it!

Better save it, then get the new ammo that isn't going to be any good in six months.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There IS a small grain of truth to this...

With the priming compounds in many of the "lead free" munitions - they really don't last as long (in storage) as standard priming compounds.

It's still longer than anyone would need to worry about for range ammo or what-not, but it certainly is a concern.

And with the push to control via environmental legislation - it really could become a much larger concern should lead-free priming/ammo become mandatory (and should the chemical research into these compounds not advance at fast enough pace).

-J-

Top Bottom