Proof that sometimes seat belts are useless...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Uh, no. It's not. Seat belt statistics are gathered from every crash. Supposedly. Therefore after my personal life experiences I've come to the conclusion that the stats are BS and doctored to fit an agenda. Period. That's not trying to prove a negative. That's stating my beliefs.

Must we go through this again? You can only count injuries that do happen. If an occupant does not sustain any injuries then you don't really know why those injuries didn't happen. Maybe seatbelt, maybe not, but you can't really know. THAT is trying to prove a negative.

Considering that insurance companies are the biggest proponent of seatbelt use and laws, and that they exist to avoid paying out money they take in, then their statistics that say that seatbelt use saves more people than it harms must be pretty compelling, because I have a difficult time believing in some vast conspiracy where the insurance industry would try to make people get more injuries.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Considering that insurance companies are the biggest proponent of seatbelt use and laws, and that they exist to avoid paying out money they take in, then their statistics that say that seatbelt use saves more people than it harms must be pretty compelling, because I have a difficult time believing in some vast conspiracy where the insurance industry would try to make people get more injuries.

:scratch:

WTF are you talking about???

Who said anything about insurance companies trying to make people get injured more??? :nuts:

As far as the "prove a negative" thing... The statistics I've seen represent injuries with seat belt vs injuries without a seat belt.

While I believe that injuries without a seat belt are higher, break it down by TYPE of accident and you'll see that in minor accidents, seat belts don't make a bit of difference.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Apparently you really are on the fence on the issue. However, look at it this way. Do you think it's right for the government to tell you what you can drive, when you can drive it, and HOW you can drive it? If you're ok with telling you what to do with your own property on roads you and I pay for, then being all in for the seat belt law should come natural. However, if you're against those things, then being against the seat belt law should be natural.

I do believe that reasonable traffic laws are necessary to maintain some semblance of safety on the public roadways. I don't believe in laws that are passed largely to enhance revenue, like ridiculously low speed limits in some areas. I guess I generally support the seat belt law, since I believe that it does save lives and prevent taxpayer money from being spent on more serious injuries for those who go through the windshield and have no insurance. Plus the fine is only $25 and there are no points on your license. If the fine were higher, I think I would find it unreasonable, but as it is, I'm somewhat OK with it.

The 55 mph speed limit on interstate highways (I-465) actually ticks me off more than the seatbelt law. I think I'm in good company, too, because you're likely to get run over if you try driving 55 on I-465. That, and stupid 25 mph school zones that last all day on the 4 lane road in front of the school that is 100 yards from the street with not a kid in sight. Those are nothing but tax collection zones. Driving 25 mph is not a natural act. :):

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Seat belts save lives. There is nothing that can guarantee that you will survive or not be injured in a serous crash. You don't wanna wear yours than don't. But I can tell you that if and when you get ejected from a vehicle your chances of survival are almost zero. Yea I know some people have been lucky and survived serous crashes without a belt on but they are exceptions and not the rule. Take the OP for this thread, his crash was not even a serous crash and they were ejected. Think about it. I think a person is silly to think or do otherwise. Don't know about anyone else but I don't get into any vehicle without belting in...ever.:twocents:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The odd chance that not wearing a seatbelt may have saved a life doesn't outweigh the other bazillion times where it did save a life.

I'll play the numbers.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The odd chance that not wearing a seatbelt may have saved a life doesn't outweigh the other bazillion times where it did save a life.

I'll play the numbers.

Ok, but look more closely at those numbers. See that most fatalities of those NOT wearing a seatbelt occurred at speeds above 40mph. Play the numbers. But know the numbers.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i was in a car wreck 5 years ago and since have been paralyzed from the waist down. single car, ran off a wet road, overcorrected and flipped. dont remember much about what happened but when deputies found my jeep cherokee my seat belt was buckled and drivers seat layed all the way back. i was ejected from the vehicle and found in the middle of the road.....so even with my seatbelt attached i defied the odds and sliped out under. also i was a 6'1" 260lb. defensive tackle. i couldnt get out from under that belt if i tried.......none the less i still wear my seat belt.....i think my wreck was just a big ass stroke of bad luck

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I am 100% against forcing people to wear their seat belts.

My life has been saved more than once by a seat belt, so I'll wear mine, thankyouverymuch.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If not for the combination of a seat belt and air bag my Uncle would have most likely died in a crash. I have worn my seat belt every since I started driving.

dgiancola

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lafayette area
    rolled a ford contour 6 times through a field....walked away with only a concussion...only reason i lived was the seatbelt...there are reasons for strict rules about vehicle safety and seatbelts for a reason....they save lives! seen it many times and will continue to do so!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I am 100% against forcing people to wear their seat belts.

My life has been saved more than once by a seat belt, so I'll wear mine, thankyouverymuch.

My life has never been saved by a seat belt, but it definitely seems foolish to not wear it. If you are ever in a wreck, the chances being hurt worse by having your belt on is overwhelmingly low.

I still don't understand how they can force you to wear a seatbelt in your car, but motorcycles are legal.:n00b:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I still don't understand how they can force you to wear a seatbelt in your car, but motorcycles are legal.:n00b:

No worries. Seat belts were mandated in some states for school buses IIRC. Look for Kommiefornia to mandate them for motorcycles soon. :nuts:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    rolled a ford contour 6 times through a field....walked away with only a concussion...only reason i lived was the seatbelt...there are reasons for strict rules about vehicle safety and seatbelts for a reason....they save lives! seen it many times and will continue to do so!

Seems to me with this line of thought it would be way better to out law rolling ford countours 6 times through a field.

Top Bottom