Proof that sometimes seat belts are useless...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I think that seat belts save lives more often than not. The only type of crash where I think that wearing a seat belt may actually kill you is if you see that your car is going to run under a semi trailer and you have time to duck before striking the trailer. But that seems like a pretty rare and specific type of crash, and as quickly as crashes occur, it seems unlikely to happen.

Seat belts do keep you in the vehicle, and that is a major reason that they are effective in lessening injuries and saving lives. In 2 crashes that I have had, the seat belt and airbag prevented me from going through the windshield. I always wear my seat belt because I've seen the benefit first hand.

As far as whether they should be mandatory by law, I'm kind of on the fence on that one. Everything else regarding vehicles, like licensing, registration, speed limits, traffic rules and vehicle lighting and safety equipment, is regulated. I don't see how wearing a seat belt is any different, as it is safety equipment and pertains to the safe operation of a vehicle. It is definitely harder to maintain control of your vehicle if you are sliding across your seat instead of buckled in. (Ask a race car driver)

But I do also understand how some people feel that it is an intrusion. And I don't understand why we have a seat belt law if we don't have a helmet law for motorcycles. Seems contradictory to me.

What I don't understand is the attitude of people who don't wear a seat belt simply because it against the law not to. Sort of a "flip them the bird" attitude. It seems like common sense to me to want to stay in the vehicle in a crash, and if the crash is so bad that your seat belt would kill you, you'd probably be ejected and killed anyway. There certainly are exceptions, just like anything, but betting on those exceptions seems like putting all your money on the Pacers to me. :):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It should also be noted that automotive restraint systems have gotten a LOT more sophisticated since SE's Ranger days. The systems in place in cars in the 70s and 80s were ok, but pretty crude compared to what is available today.
    Maybe more sophisticated, but still the basic system.

My cousin was in an accident that was caused by his drunk passenger. The passenger wasn't wearing a belt and surely would have been killed if he was wearing a belt. As a matter of fact, the first responders couldn't believe that there weren't any fatalities at all.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you are concerned about being trapped in your vehicle after an accident, the LifeHammer products look like a good option. They are very affordable and can both break windows and cut seatbelts. I use the keychain version, though there is a larger version if you prefer.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A15684181%2Cp_4%3ALifeHammer%2Cn%3A!15690151%2Cn%3A15857501%2Cn%3A15857551%2Cn%3A15736681&bbn=15857551&sort=pmrank&ie=UTF8&qid=1286126133&rnid=15857501#%2Fref%3Dsr_nr_p_72_3%3Frh%3Dn%253A15684181%252Cp_4%253ALifeHammer%252Cn%253A%252115690151%252Cn%253A15857501%252Cn%253A15857551%252Cn%253A15736681%252Cp_6%253AATVPDKIKX0DER%252Cp_72%253A1248864011%26bbn%3D15736681%26sort%3Dpmrank%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1286126319%26rnid%3D1248859011&enc=1"]Amazon- LifeHammer[/ame]

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would like to point out that I never said that seat belts are useless. I just said that SOMETIMES they are useless.

90% of the time that I'm in a 45mph or under zone I don't wear my seat belt. Barring a head on collision, a seat belt isn't going to help out much. At least, not the driver. Most vehicles have airbags and those airheads, i mean bags, are going to be what stops most injuries.

Personally I'd like to see instant expanding foam like in the movie Demolition Man, but I think that's a pipe dream. :):

But again, I'm not saying they're useless all the time. Just most of the time. Unless you spend most of your driving time on a highway or interstate. In town isn't so much necessary. After 13 seat belt tickets you think they'd get the point. :dunno:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As far as whether they should be mandatory by law, I'm kind of on the fence on that one. Everything else regarding vehicles, like licensing, registration, speed limits, traffic rules and vehicle lighting and safety equipment, is regulated.

But I do also understand how some people feel that it is an intrusion. And I don't understand why we have a seat belt law if we don't have a helmet law for motorcycles. Seems contradictory to me.

What I don't understand is the attitude of people who don't wear a seat belt simply because it against the law not to. Sort of a "flip them the bird" attitude.

Apparently you really are on the fence on the issue. However, look at it this way. Do you think it's right for the government to tell you what you can drive, when you can drive it, and HOW you can drive it? If you're ok with telling you what to do with your own property on roads you and I pay for, then being all in for the seat belt law should come natural. However, if you're against those things, then being against the seat belt law should be natural.

Now, I don't wear my seat belt just because it's against the law. I don't wear my seat belt in places and situations that I feel I don't need to. Like construction zones in town, neighborhoods through town, sitting in a parking lot driving in circles because the kids are restless sitting in the back, whatever. I WILL wear my seat belt on interstates, highways, and heavy traffic.

Just depends on the situation.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    After 13 seat belt tickets you think they'd get the point. :dunno:

You've gotten that many? :eek:

I can't remember how long that law has been in effect but I drive a lot and I've only gotten one.

Could it be that maybe you are otherwise attracting attention to yourself somehow?:D

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I was hit from behind on I-65 several years back. Car spun and rolled 2.5 times landing on roof.I can remember "hanging" from the seat belt upside down until paramedics cut the seat belt. I escaped with only bruises and a cut ear(from the rear view mirror breaking ).Believe me-seat belt saved my life that day-my Plymouth Horizon was totaled ,but held up amazingly for a small car being hit by a 2 ton Chevy going 80+ mph.
    Another point missed-maybe those few seconds to put on a seat belt can allow you to focus on driving before you start the car.:twocents:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Should the government tell you to wear your seatbelt? No.

Should you wear one? Yes.

It doesn't matter how beneficial something is, once the Gov mandates it, a certain group of people will never do it.

My Chevy Avalanche not only has seatbelts, but front and side impact air bags. I feel pretty safe in it.

Go ahead and don't wear your seatbelt, but when you get mangled or tossed from your car, don't run to the government to pay your bills.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You've gotten that many? :eek:

I can't remember how long that law has been in effect but I drive a lot and I've only gotten one.

Could it be that maybe you are otherwise attracting attention to yourself somehow?:D

No, I'm just unlucky enough to get one whenever they are doing their "Seat-belt check week" crap. That and most of them were when I was younger and PPD had a vendetta against me. Seriously, they did and that's not paranoia. When you catch a cop lying in court, they don't take it too well. :dunno:

maybe those few seconds to put on a seat belt can allow you to focus on driving before you start the car.:twocents:

Uh, no. That's the most retarded reason I've heard yet on why you should wear your seat belt. if anything it's a hassle to me because I like to lean to the left and the shoulder strap rubs my neck. That's annoying and a hindrance to me.

Should the government tell you to wear your seatbelt? No.

Should you wear one? Yes.

It doesn't matter how beneficial something is, once the Gov mandates it, a certain group of people will never do it.

My Chevy Avalanche not only has seatbelts, but front and side impact air bags. I feel pretty safe in it.

Go ahead and don't wear your seatbelt, but when you get mangled or tossed from your car, don't run to the government to pay your bills.

My truck is a tank. Although it does have a driver's side airbag, I feel safe enough in it. I wear my seat belt when I leave town, but not in town. I see no reason to wear it where speeds don't exceed 40mph. If you're paying enough attention to what everyone's doing while they drive you have enough time to avoid a head on collision... unless you are the type to throw your hands up and scream like a girl. :dunno:

So, if you have the reaction time to avoid a head on collision, 99% of accidents will be under 45mph collisions in town. Easily survivable WITHOUT a seat belt if your car has airbags. If not, then you should probably wear one above 35mph.

I don't refuse to wear one because it's a law. I refuse to wear mine at times because it's a personal choice.

That lady that T-boned me in that truck was doing 65mph and accelerating when she hit me and I walked away with nothing more than a headache. No concussion, no bruises, no scratches, nothing. No seat belt. No airbag. Walked away. 65mph broadside.

(For the record, it did come with an airbag, but being a side impact it didn't deploy.)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My seatbelt is buckled before my vehicle goes into drive 100% of the time, but about 6 years ago 5 of my close friends were in a 1 car accident. The 4 people that weren't wearing seat belts were ejected from the car and all 4 survived. The 1 person that was wearing his seatbelt wasn't that fortunate.

R.I.P. Matt, you are always missed.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As a side benefit of wearing a seat belt is keeping the driver where he or she should be during an accident.

I've had a few close calls that I've felt the belts tighten up on my lap and torso while I still had controls to avoid further impact/damage.

I know of one guy that survived a near death experience when he was forced off the side of the road by a large truck not realizing he was there. He wasn't wearing belts. He somehow ended up in the passenger seat while dipping in and out of the ditch until some trees stopped his car. He described it as being in an airplane and watching the wings fall off - he wasn't able to get back to the controls in time to do anything about it.

An other added bonus is keeping other passengers from creaming into each other in an impact. That could happen from a side impact as well.

Has anyone ever seen someone that has a bunch of unsecured junk piled in their car? I try not to imagine that crap flying around their heads it they were ever to be so unlucky.

I don't lecture people about what they should be doing, but when they're riding with me they don't have an option to not wear a belt. They can walk or get another ride.
    If they don't want to wear a belt when they're driving that's their call.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As a side benefit of wearing a seat belt is keeping the driver where he or she should be during an accident.

I've had a few close calls that I've felt the belts tighten up on my lap and torso while I still had controls to avoid further impact/damage.

I know of one guy that survived a near death experience when he was forced off the side of the road by a large truck not realizing he was there. He wasn't wearing belts. He somehow ended up in the passenger seat while dipping in and out of the ditch until some trees stopped his car. He described it as being in an airplane and watching the wings fall off - he wasn't able to get back to the controls in time to do anything about it.

An other added bonus is keeping other passengers from creaming into each other in an impact. That could happen from a side impact as well.

Has anyone ever seen someone that has a bunch of unsecured junk piled in their car? I try not to imagine that crap flying around their heads it they were ever to be so unlucky.

I don't lecture people about what they should be doing, but when they're riding with me they don't have an option to not wear a belt. They can walk or get another ride.

If they don't want to wear a belt when they're driving that's their call.

Very good points and I do agree. I always buckle up in the passenger seat. Always. My car or not. For one, I don't want to be the reason the driver gets pulled over, and for two, there's no steering wheel in front of me to help keep me from flying out.

Those drivers that get ejected were sitting WAY too far from the steering wheel.

On another note, you said that that guy got thrown in the passenger seat and couldn't get back over to control the car... Here's a different spin on that.

I had a 95 S10 just like that 89 ranger, but it was extended cab. The brakes were going out and I was coming up on a stop sign and trying to down shift to save what brakes I had left. I was taking it to a friend's house to get it fixed. Came up on the stop sign and couldn't get it stopped. Seen a car coming from the right and I dove down and across the seats putting my hands on the passenger door with my elbows bent to cushion the blow. It worked. She took of the whole front end of that truck and spun me twice that day. She was doing 60 in a 40 too. And other than being in shock, she got out and walked away unharmed. Neither of us were wearing our seat belts and if I had been, I wouldn't have been able to position myself to cushion the blow.

I've been involved in 4 accidents. None of which I was wearing my seat belt. None of which I was seriously injured. The only accident I was even harmed was by an airbag that smashed up my pretty face. :) Go figure that one out.

I tend to believe that seat belt statistics are a bunch of BS.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My sister was in a bad wreck back in 72', it rolled an flipped throwing her over to the passanger floor. The drivers side roof caved in...police told my folks if she had her seat belt on she would of been killed. I didn't wear mine for years....but always do now..I do think they save more lives than ending them....there are always exceptions as we can see though.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I feel it is your life...your choice. I ride a motorcycle and I definately go by the saying....let those who ride decide. I do not feel it is the responsibility of the state or federal government to dictate my personal safety measures.

But I also feel that if you are in a state that mandates the use of either and you fail to do so, then you do it at your own risk. If you become injured while in non-compliance then you bear your own financial burden for any and all issues that arrise.:twocents:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Gets back to that whole "try to prove a negative" thing that so many people seem to have a hard time with.

Uh, no. It's not. Seat belt statistics are gathered from every crash. Supposedly. Therefore after my personal life experiences I've come to the conclusion that the stats are BS and doctored to fit an agenda. Period. That's not trying to prove a negative. That's stating my beliefs.

Top Bottom