Proof that sometimes seat belts are useless...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sometimes fire extinguishers are useless. They don't always save lives.

Same with AEDs, gas masks, hard hats, Flintstones chewable vitamins... ;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know how we can settle this. Demo derby in the old airport parking lot. Seatbelts vs. no seatbelts. Winner takes all!!!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So your advise is to always drive under 40 mph?

:): Only in a horse and wagon configuration. ;)

No, what I'm saying is that there are times when it's perfectly ok NOT to wear your seat belt.

I'm also saying that anyone using government to force their safety conscience BS on me can grab their ankles while I plant my size 11 so far in their butt they'd need a neurosurgeon to remove it.

:patriot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Originally Posted by ATOMonkey
    So your advise is to always drive under 40 mph?

Oh for the cheeeldrin, for the sake of the cheeeelrin, if it will save just one child...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    :): Only in a horse and wagon configuration. ;)

No, what I'm saying is that there are times when it's perfectly ok NOT to wear your seat belt.

I'm also saying that anyone using government to force their safety conscience BS on me can grab their ankles while I plant my size 11 so far in their butt they'd need a neurosurgeon to remove it.

:patriot:
    While I am in 100% agreement that no-one should be forced, by government, to wear a seat belt there is no logical reason not to. Just because you're going 35 MPH doesn't mean that the A-hole who hits you isn't doing 75 MPH. Your speed becomes irrelevant at that point and physics takes over. I'll keep my belt on.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    While I am in 100% agreement that no-one should be forced, by government, to wear a seat belt there is no logical reason not to. Just because you're going 35 MPH doesn't mean that the A-hole who hits you isn't doing 75 MPH. Your speed becomes irrelevant at that point and physics takes over. I'll keep my belt on.

I know it's hard for some people to believe they are not all knowing and all seeing but your not having thought of it yet doesn't mean you know what's best for every person in every situation in every country in the world or even just for every person in every situation in this country, not even in just this one state.

You have an opinion. Every one is entitled to one. Just because YOU have one now doesn't mean it's correct and it certainly doesn't mean it should be law or you have the right to force it on any one by law.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    My seatbelt was completely useless yesterday... I drove all over town and it never served any practical purpose. I'm going to stop using it now.

Come to think of it... I carried my pistol all day, and all it did was sit in my holster. A lot of good that did. I'm done carrying it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My seatbelt was completely useless yesterday... I drove all over town and it never served any practical purpose. I'm going to stop using it now.

Come to think of it... I carried my pistol all day, and all it did was sit in my holster. A lot of good that did. I'm done carrying it.

As a semi-free person in a semi-free state aren't you glad your rulers are proud enough of you to allow you make that complicated decision for your self?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

You know, it's possible for your pistol to be used against you...

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    My dad was a fire fighter, then a paramedic and then a police officer. He said that with all the accidents he had seen he would never wear his seat belt. He seemed to prefer his odds without it. But he always wore a helmet when he rode his motorcycle.

I remember a few years ago...on a NY radio station there was a discussion on the use of seat belts.....and I was amazed at how many firemen called in to say they do not wear their seat belts and never would.
    That left me thinking what do they know that we don't?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    After spending 15 years in medicine (from EMS to the OR Trauma team) I can tell you life is a total crap shoot.

The majority of the time seat belts will make a difference. That said, there have been too many instances I've seen where people lived because they were NOT wearing their seat belt.

Mandatory seat beat legislation means the State is mandating that people will have to DIE because they are in compliance with the law.

Let me repeat:
    Mandatory seat belt laws MANDATE THE DEATH OF HUNDREDS PER YEAR, perhaps thousands.

I do wear a seat belt as, in MY opinion, it is safer to do so. No one has a right to make that choice for me.

YMMV but the numbers don't lie. Many thousands of lives are saved by seat belts, but it's insanity to ignore the hundreds, if not thousands, of lives taken by those same devices.

Don't even get me started on the risk/benefit ratio of airbags....

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    PROOF THAT SOMETIMES CONDOMS ARE USELESS!!

images

Oh, I'm sorry I must have misread the title...... I believe in Darwinism and think seat belts should be optional.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The only accident I witnessed involved a jerk in a ranger that t-boned a suburban. The jerk was doing close to 50mph not paying attention and in swerving to avoid rearending the car in front of him he went to the shoulder and hit the 'burban waiting to make a right turn. Amazing how inertia comes into play even for a small vehicle.

Anyway the passenger in the ranger ended up with several cracked ribs due to seatbelt compression, the driver seemed unhurt by the crash. The burban driver suffered serious enough injuries that she was taken to a hospital. Without belts both people in the ranger would have undoubtedly said hello to the burban driver as they passed thru the side of it on their way to impacting the trees on the other side of it!

I've worn 'em since I learned to drive and don't feel comfortable without them. Maybe a false sense of security but it has worked for me the past 37 years.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This thread got really interesting. :): Oh, and for those that'll stop carrying their pistol... Since it's such a hindrance, I'll just take them off your hands. You know. For the Children. :) (Someone's gotta arm the children...)

:D

After spending 15 years in medicine (from EMS to the OR Trauma team) I can tell you life is a total crap shoot.

The majority of the time seat belts will make a difference. That said, there have been too many instances I've seen where people lived because they were NOT wearing their seat belt.

Mandatory seat beat legislation means the State is mandating that people will have to DIE because they are in compliance with the law.

Let me repeat:
    Mandatory seat belt laws MANDATE THE DEATH OF HUNDREDS PER YEAR, perhaps thousands.

I do wear a seat belt as, in MY opinion, it is safer to do so. No one has a right to make that choice for me.

YMMV but the numbers don't lie. Many thousands of lives are saved by seat belts, but it's insanity to ignore the hundreds, if not thousands, of lives taken by those same devices.

Don't even get me started on the risk/benefit ratio of airbags....

At least SOMEONE has a little sense. :dunno:

Some of you act as though I said seat belts are completely useless or that I'm trying to convince you to NOT wear YOURS. That's not what I said or my goal here. I'm just showing you, not only WHY I don't wear mine, but that in a case like this, seat belts either don't matter, or will kill you.

Oh, MrJarrell.... You said that it doesn't matter if you're doing 35 because the other person might be going 75. Well, apparently you didn't read my OP because I was hit by someone doing 65 and I was doing 25. It was a GOOD thing I wasn't wearing my belt.

I also said that if you can't avoid a head-on collision, you probably shouldn't be driving a car. :dunno: So if someone hits you doing 75 anywhere else other than the front of your car, seat belts aren't going to matter.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    At least SOMEONE has a little sense. :dunno:

Some of you act as though I said seat belts are completely useless or that I'm trying to convince you to NOT wear YOURS. That's not what I said or my goal here. I'm just showing you, not only WHY I don't wear mine, but that in a case like this, seat belts either don't matter, or will kill you.

:dunno: I am not sure how you can miss that MANY OF US SAID ESSENTIALLY THE SAME DAMN THING.

Wait, let me get this a little clearer:
    MANY OF US SAID ESSENTIALLY THE SAME DAMN THING.

Glad I could help!

Top Bottom