• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You don't need to pull any punches, KS&E is the whole way crusty.

I grow more and more that way everyday! :laugh:

statler_waldorf_02_01.jpg

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I don't get it, gun prices vary at every gun store, some are higher than others,

as far as the range, I like it, I wish they would fix lane 1 but other than that, I don't go there to bond with the management and sing kumbyyah....

I don't try to make Pops something it isn't for me, its a good range,,, not a new gun purchase store option, maybe used, maybe

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Well, I thought the original post started off well and went badly at the end. I go to Pop Gun's for the range although if I could find another one I would. Your service is hit or miss, sometimes it is great other times I feel unwanted. The range is fine and I do not mind paying the fee's.

I will say that I tried to rent a 44 mag a couple in the last month. 50 rounds was something around 50 dollars. I can buy target ammunition at gander mountain for less than that... needless to say I didn't even bother.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will be honest up front and say I have never been to Pop guns, however, I have a question for those that are more business savvy than I..

My first reaction is "If smaller shops can have lower prices than Pop guns, while Pops has a range for additional income, wouldn't their 'economy drives prices' statement seem to be utter BS?"

Like I said, I am not an economics major, and perhaps I am wrong. It just seems that shops smaller than Pops, have better prices. One would think a larger shop would have more buying power, and therefore lower prices.

Thoughts?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Not defending there pricing perse but if you are refering to how a lot of gun shops to keep business have had to drop down to only charging 10% above cost on new firearms a company will find it hard to stay in business unless they are a very small shop and overhead or fixed cost are low. The bigger the shop and the more things they do all increase there fixed cost. The larger the fixed cost the more revenue you have to do to keep your percentages down compared to revenue. If your fixed cost is 12% of revenue and you only mark up 10% then you are actually losing 2% every sale. Now I do not know what there overhead is I do know the more people you have and the nicer the shop in regards to fancy looks the larger the fixed cost. If you sell alot of used guns that you get cheap to where you can markup above 10% of purchase price then thats where you make up for the possible loss on just marking up 10% on new guns.

The range may add revenue but it also adds alot of fixed cost. I use to be one that believed hell 10% markup thats pretty fair, but now I understand that they can not be making much if that is what there business is made on. Now I will as a buyer go to the cheapest gun shop when I want to buy a new one but I understand there pricing. :twocents:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Pricing: it's their business model, their monkey. Set whatever prices you want to set, and see how it works for you.

Range: yes, nice range. Shoot there from time to time.

Customer Service: Night and day, depending on who is working. Three or four guys? Very helpful. Another three or four? You're bothering them by being there.
    This. Yes.

I'm going to give the benefit of a doubt that this manifesto wasn't actually written by someone who has the authority to speak for Popguns. If it was, I can't imagine they could have stayed in business this long
    And this. The post that started this thread is not the kind of PR that is likely to improve a business' image or bring in new customers.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    If you make 10% on a $1000 gun, that's $100 profit. If you sell 10 a month, your rent + every other cost must be less than the $1000 profit you took in.

Now, If you sell 100 guns at the same 10% profit, that gives you a much better chance of covering those costs.(which would remain fairly constant i.e. Rent).

I would rather sell a TON of guns with little markup, compared to a few guns with high markup.

Pops will not sell more guns with reviews and posts like they are getting. People will drive to the place that gives them the best customer service, value, and selection.

It reminds me of the young guy CHAD (can't produce company right now) who sells glocks, XDs and other guns at the 1500. He sells an incredible amount of guns. Sure, at a less profit than others at the 1500, but he sells 10 times the amount of guns. I like his business model and will continue to buy from him because of the value I feel I get.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gotta say, the tone of the OP and the apparent attitude of the owners pretty much ensures I'll not be setting foot in the place. To many places that didn't raise prices to scalper levels, too many places that don't go online to insult their customers, to patronize one that appears to me to be doing just that.

If the OP isn't truly reflecting the attitude of the owner's/operators, it may be a good idea for them to clarify that.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You don't need to jack your prices through the roof to make money in a business it does not work that way.

Volume.

The more customers you can attract to your business the better off you will be.
    You are just pouring water on the fire with an attitude like that.
    There are a BUNCH of gunshops that are making money because they attract
    more people in their door with better deals and SERVICE. (gasp)
    In the long run they are making more money selling 10 guns at 10%
    than the guy trying to sell 3 at a much higher markup.

The only one's buying the 3 are the uneducated.
    I think the business model has changed and they would do well to be aware of it.
    Just like the networks are not the only place to get the news, the internet has added a easy access way to find out the "correct" news and prices. :twocents:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I don't get it, gun prices vary at every gun store, some are higher than others,

as far as the range, I like it, I wish they would fix lane 1 but other than that, I don't go there to bond with the management and sing kumbyyah....

I don't try to make Pops something it isn't for me, its a good range,,, not a new gun purchase store option, maybe used, maybe

This is my opinion as well. If you live in the city and don't want to drive very far or want to just get some weekday shooting in, the range is just fine. I have a yearly pass there and certainly take advantage of it. Service can be hit or miss. I've never had a bad experience per say, but have experienced the "Taco Bell Blank Stare". Pretty easily remedied by simply saying "I would like to shoot." On the flip side I've had some really interesting and funny conversations with a few of thier employees. One that sticks out in my mind was about panning for gemstones.

Now, the only thing I have ever bought there in 10+ years were a couple Glock mags that were "discounted" to be about what I would have paid with shipping had I ordered on line.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This thread summed up!

I dont know who the gray haired guy is but i told him all the prices were high. He gave me a dirty look. I asked if he was Dons son. It got ugly and i told him i would never be back.

I have complained In store and said I don't like waiting for help. I would buy holsters and other things from the store. It took forever to get some one to take my money, I did b*tch about that in store.

Mike is always friendly but seems bothered by helping people.
    "Change" we can believe in!

Lost my business, and occasional walk through to marvel at your high prices and terrible service with this post.

Your business will fail, and thats very unfortunate, but completely your fault.
    I will continue to send my friends and family to other shops.
    Never checking on the guys in the range, when you can odviously tell some of your patrons have never touched a gun in their life and are using horrible handling techniques in the stalls...Thats bad for business.

everytime I did I encountered employees with attitudes and outrageous prices. I did not need someone to tell me not to shop there, I figured it out all by myself. Why should I support ***holes.

Takes a lot of class to post something like this! Thanks Pop's!! And you wonder why you get negative criticism on here......:baby::baby::baby::baby:

But my only experience with POPGUNS has been negative.

spellcheck is your friend. ibtl.

Well done! Great Thread.

All though you failed to mention the way you back stabbed Tactical Shotgunner with the online business! (Yeah we all know about it!)

Too bad you don't have a booth at the 1500, might be a good place to tell you how we feel in person.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Northside Indy Suburbs
    I have lived in Indianapolis since 1976 and shopped most of the gunshop's in a 1 hour radius of the Northside of Indy over the last 34 years. I will make the trip to Plainfield Shooting Sports at the drop of a hat. Cruise to Bradis? Oh hell yeah! Indiana Gun Club? You betcha! Don's? #$@! no. Gander Mtn...oh hell no...well that is unless it were the only other gun store besides Pop Guns. I have never had a good experience at Pop Guns, ever, and I HAVE given them several chances. Surly, Condescending counter personnel, prices on par with Gander, and people I don't really trust next to me at the shooting stations. What do they really have to offer? Now, I read the OP's explanation and understand why it is the way it is there...they just can't be bothered to provide a retail friendly environment. I, quite simply, have no desire what-so-ever to cross the threshold of their establishment again. Gander, Don's, Pop's, and Hare Chevrolet, to me they just don't offer any incentive to return. Why must one have balls to decide to shop and spend money elsewhere? The retailer, when confronted with a negative perception of their establishment, should have the balls to change and reposition themselves to serve their customer base and become more profitable. Not try to justify their failing approach to commerce by insulting the customer base. That bespeaks a lack of brains.....not balls. Jim

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have lived in Indianapolis since 1976 and shopped most of the gunshop's in a 1 hour radius of the Northside of Indy over the last 34 years. I will make the trip to Plainfield Shooting Sports at the drop of a hat. Cruise to Bradis? Oh hell yeah! Indiana Gun Club? You betcha! Don's? #$@! no. Gander Mtn...oh hell no...well that is unless it were the only other gun store besides Pop Guns. I have never had a good experience at Pop Guns, ever, and I HAVE given them several chances. Surly, Condescending counter personnel, prices on par with Gander, and people I don't really trust next to me at the shooting stations. What do they really have to offer? Now, I read the OP's explanation and understand why it is the way it is there...they just can't be bothered to provide a retail friendly environment. I, quite simply, have no desire what-so-ever to cross the threshold of their establishment again. Gander, Don's, Pop's, and Hare Chevrolet, to me they just don't offer any incentive to return. Why must one have balls to decide to shop and spend money elsewhere? The retailer, when confronted with a negative perception of their establishment, should have the balls to change and reposition themselves to serve their customer base and become more profitable. Not try to justify their failing approach to commerce by insulting the customer base. That bespeaks a lack of brains.....not balls. Jim

Interesting.. I too would drive 45 minutes to Bradis and be all excited about it... while skipping over POPs, which is a LOT closer.

A mark of a sucessful business is when people will drive 45 minutes to get there while skipping over the surly competition. :patriot:

Top Bottom