PART 2: I'm new an your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    i haven't even looked at the classifieds yet to be honest. I came here originally looking for info and local events. Shortly after became interested in buy/sell.
    the things you listed are all pretty stand up, and makes me want to be part of some of that community.
    my comment was only directed toward "pay to play" entry fee model. so I followed up saying I respect the status quo regardless.

I did not pay until I had over a thousand posts. I support INGO, because INGO.
    V
    We have a tight group here. We are not a clique, we are a community. We are always looking for new folk to join and join in. Many of know each other in the real. We Meet &Shoot, we Meet & Eat, we keep in touch with friends.

This is not an anonymous place on the internet.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is a great community here. Many of us have done things for other members because we care about the community aspect. We've donated money or our time or even just moral support to others in need. There have also been things like "pay it forward' types of threads here for example.

No one can truly get to know all of that if they are just interested in bombarding their way into the classifieds which is designed to be a perk for those who choose to make this a better place. To be honest I kind of see that as disrespectful.

I myself have meet a number of great members through classified deals here because we took the time to get to know each other in the process. You just can't get that through Armslist or Craigslist or whatever.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    same for me, but i joined here partially to find a reliable and safe market. since the fb groups closed down - its been rough finding reliable people. arms list can be a bit of a ****show.

Reasons.

I joined because of my interest in firearms, and it's membership is mostly Indiana. There's a lot of discussions pertinent to Hoosiers. I think I supported the site before I had 50, but I didn't have any interest in the classifieds. It costs money to host a site, it's 'local' and of interest to me.
    It's almost the best $20 I spent. :pimp:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    This is a great community here. Many of us have done things for other members because we care about the community aspect. We've donated money or our time or even just moral support to others in need. There have also been things like "pay it forward' types of threads here for example.

No one can truly get to know all of that if they are just interested in bombarding their way into the classifieds which is designed to be a perk for those who choose to make this a better place. To be honest I kind of see that as disrespectful.

I myself have meet a number of great members through classified deals here because we took the time to get to know each other in the process. You just can't get that through Armslist or Craigslist or whatever.

Along these lines, the few transactions I've done via INGO have always included having a significant conversation during the transaction rather than simply inspect, pay and go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't let some members scare you off. While there are certainly some who will look over lower post count members, many won't. You'll likely not run into any issues with getting or selling items after you meet the requirements to participate.

I personally have dealt with lots and lots of low post count members in the classifieds. No issues. As a matter of fact, two of my vehicles and my EDC have come from low post count member classifieds trades.

We certainly do want you as part of our discussion community, now and later. Yes, it's convenient to check your post history to verify good guy status prior to a trade. You'll find that you like doing this for trading also.

I agree that the pay to play in the classifieds with a site supporter thing looks bad. Buying into an arguably high annual fee to circumvent the idea that our classifieds is a perk to members who participate in the discussion community is counterintuitive, in my mind.

Personally, I don't think you should be able to buy your way into the classy's. I think the post count requirement should be higher and combined with a time as a member requirement.

Members should want to support the site for the community, knowledge and benefits that it provides them. I do. :twocents:

:ingo:

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One thing to keep in mind is that the so called "pay to play" Site supporter requirement is not mandatory.

That's why I take issue in referring to it as such. :twocents:

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    SzV3.gif

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m there with you. I’ve created a few threads to start a conversation. Hoping the conversations there will help with the post count. I’m not familiar enough with this community to chime in on threads yet. Yet our goal is the same. Access to the coveted Classifieds.

But this is wherein lies the problem. Your goal is access to the classifieds, this is not the function of INGO.

It is first and foremost a community of like minded individuals who support the 2ndA and to discuss related issues.
    This is why Indiana Gunowners was created.

The classifieds are a added perk, and not the reason for INGO's existence. There a lot of members here who will ascertain your input and contribution to the site to determine if you are "worthy" person to do business with and not someone one here looking for a deal that we have no clue who you are, or about, other than having a Site Supporter badge above your handle.

Find a subject, ask some questions, partake in some some discussions and in no time you'll have established a idea of who you are, and some one who we might want to do business with.
    To be honest, I won't do business with a site supporter under 50 posts, it just shows me that they want to jump to the front of the line for the shiny bright prize.

Sit down, thrown some stuff on the wall, have some laughs and share stories/experiances.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    That’s what I’ve started doing. Not going to flood in order to get to 50. That’s just rude. But I wasn’t going to lie about what drew me to this forum. I’m very familiar with forum boards and have moderated a few myself. I understand the importance of building the community and weeding out the boys and hate mongers.

as far as those who don’t deal with low count members, that’s their prerogative. Not in a rude way but if that’s the bar they want for doing business then that’s their call.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I considered it but given comments about how lots of members still, wont deal with low post count members, and to me honestly it feels a bit ... contrived, given all the effort around enforcing quality posts and an unmovable 50 post wall. lol sort of like getting a speeding ticket, take the point loss or pay them off to make it go away.

I've been here just over a year. I've had the good fortune to already have both bought and sold through the classifieds. The best thing has been meeting other members face to face.

A member in Terre Haute welcomed me into their home when I had a two day training class in his area. That kind of thing is way more valuable than the classifieds.

The classifieds are like a bonus. You get the bonus for contributing to the forum in one way or another.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    That’s what I’ve started doing. Not going to flood in order to get to 50. That’s just rude. But I wasn’t going to lie about what drew me to this forum. I’m very familiar with forum boards and have moderated a few myself. I understand the importance of building the community and weeding out the boys and hate mongers.

as far as those who don’t deal with low count members, that’s their prerogative. Not in a rude way but if that’s the bar they want for doing business then that’s their call.

You are doing it right. Just converse with people and you'll get there soon enough. If you don't feel you have enough firearms experience to add to discussions, then asking questions is just as valid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is pretty solid.

Through my joining here in 12/11 I have had experiences that would never have come my way and met some of if not the very best people I will ever know. My learning curve went vertical and is still running uphill.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

:yesway: Welcome to the community. :ingo:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom