• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This may need to be moved to the politics area?

GM, UAW in dispute over imports and plant closures

General Motors, union in fight over imports, plant closures as deadline for concessions nears

• Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer
    • On Monday May 18, 2009, 2:16 pm EDT

DETROIT (AP) -- Critical concession talks between General Motors Corp. and the United Auto Workers are being overshadowed by a public spat about the automaker's plans to import vehicles from other countries while it closes 16 U.S. factories.

The fight, which began last week, continues with less than two weeks left before a June 1 deadline for GM and the union to reach a deal on concessions that are a critical part of the automaker's government-ordered restructuring.
    If GM can't reach deals with the union, debt holders and other stakeholders by the deadline, the century-old Detroit automaker will be forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. GM has received $15.4 billion in government loans.
    The union sent an e-mail to members Sunday night asking them to call or e-mail President Barack Obama to protest the imports and factory closures. The company has not identified which factories it will shutter or whether the 16 plants include previously announced closures. GM says it is negotiating the details with the union.
    "The UAW strongly objects to GM's plan to close 16 manufacturing facilities in the United States, while at the same time dramatically increasing the number of vehicles it will be importing from Mexico, Korea, Japan and China for sale in this country," the e-mail said.
    It said GM wants to nearly double the number of imports from those countries, costing 21,000 UAW jobs in the U.S.
    GM acknowledged in documents submitted to Congress that it plans to start importing small cars from China starting in 2011, with the number rising to more than 51,000 by 2014. But the company says the percentage of cars made and sold in the U.S. will remain stable, with fewer imports likely from Canada.
    Industry analysts say GM needs to import small cars from countries with lower labor costs to remain competitive. Because the market for subcompacts in the U.S. is somewhat iffy, it makes sense to import them from China to fully use factories there, the analysts said.
    The union said it expects negotiations with GM to intensify this week. Last week, factory-level union officials were told at a meeting in Cleveland to expect a call to Detroit this week to explain a possible deal.
    "These negotiations will have a major impact on wages, benefits and jobs for active and retired UAW members," the union warned in its e-mail.
    Also at issue is how to fund a union-run trust that will take over retiree health care costs starting next year. The government's autos task force wants the union to take GM stock in exchange for 50 percent of the $20 billion the company must pay into the trust.
    UAW officials have said the union's agreement with Chrysler will serve as a template for any deal with GM, but some differences must be worked out.
    At Chrysler, the UAW agreed to take 55 percent of the company's stock in exchange for roughly $6 billion of the $10.6 billion that Chrysler owes the retiree health care trust. GM said it is negotiating to give the UAW about 39 percent of its stock in exchange for roughly half the $20 billion it owes to the trust.
    Also under the Chrysler deal, workers will no longer get most of their pay if they are laid off and placed in the controversial "jobs bank." Instead, they will get supplemental pay from the company equal to 50 percent of their gross base pay. Cost-of-living pay raises also were suspended through 2011, and a provision was added for binding arbitration on a new contract through 2015.
    The union also agreed to consolidate nonskilled labor job classifications into a team concept at all factories. Performance and Christmas bonuses will be suspended this year and next to help pay health care costs.
    Ford Motor Co., which is not receiving government support, agreed in February to a revised contract with fewer concessions than the Chrysler deal. But the company has said it does not want to be at a disadvantage to its Detroit competitors, so it may eventually reopen negotiations with the union.
    The UAW has a big incentive to reach a deal before a possible GM bankruptcy filing, because bankruptcy judges have the power to change or throw out contracts.
    A group of dissident Chrysler debt holders challenging Chrysler LLC's government-backed restructuring plans gave up their fight about a week after the automaker entered Chapter 11 on April 30.

Here is the link to the original

So now we have bailed the failed company out, made them file chapter 11, and now they are going to import more cars from China and Mexico. No offence but the made in America cars were bad enough can you imagine a made in China GM car! :twocents::dunno:

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    So now we have bailed the failed company out, made them file chapter 11, and now they are going to import more cars from China and Mexico. No offence but the made in America cars were bad enough can you imagine a made in China GM car! :twocents::dunno:

Sad to say, but actually as Mexico and China don't have unions to protect unproductive workers..... I would be willing to bet they'll make better cars!!!! :dunno:

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And by the way when I say Union I mean UAW....I read on another thread that some good honest workers were offended because they were union crafts people. My definition of Union=UAW

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    GM has been importing so many cars that it is hard to tell what is "American". Just because it says "Chevrolet" on it doesn't mean a thing. The new Camaro, a supposed All American car is basically an Australian Holden made in Canada. Really helps the US economy.

Check your vehicle ID and if the first number is a "1", congrats, you win! You have an American made car. A 2 is Canada and a 3 is Mexico. I believe some newer ones from the US start with 4 or 5, but Canadian or Mexican workers pay no taxes to our government, their state or local governments, and their income isn't spent at the local stores thereby keeping them going too.

As much as I think the UAW has hurt the original US auto makers, they have a point.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    But wait, don't leave out the new "Fiahysler" or "Chryiat" coming to a dealership near you!
    Ain't she sweet!
    black%20fiat%20500%20555.jpg

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey I had a Fiat when I lived in Germany that little thing was like driving a go-kart with a rocket on it. A lot better of a car than several of the Dodge/Chrysler that I seem to remember.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Well when you pay someone $50-130/ Hour for a $12/hour job your not going to last.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I've said it before and will continue saying it, the UAW is one of the (if not the) biggest reasons GM is screwed.

How someone with a high school education can be making $120K, yet the ones with Master's and Doctorates are be laid off is just beyond me.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    UAW contracts must have been drawn up by Satan himself. I am Union and if I get laid off I collect ZERO, Nada, Nothing except what is payed into unemployment. Right now I am about to lose my health coverage because I have worked a total of 2 weeks this year. The UAW can suck me!!!!

As stated before I install robotics, conveyance systems, any and all automated equipment, and a lot of it is in Ford, Gm, Chrysler, Cat, Cummings, and so fourth facilities. The UAW has full time millwrights/maintence that is supposed to maintain this equipment but I can not tell you the amout of times i have been awakened at 2 in the morning on an emergency call because a piece of equipment has failed.

The UAW is the laziest bunch of people I have ever met!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last time I was at the Fort Wayne Plant I was chatting with the head of operations(we found the same place to sneak out for a smoke)He is not UAW he is a salaried employee and he told me that over 70% of the employees have some sort of work restriction and that they have on the average 2 claims a day for injuries on the job. Mind you this is not somebody getting caught in equipment because I also install all safety guards and line stops. It is Pulled, Twisted, Sprained, Strained **** like that.

They(UAW)have been milking this teet to long, it is costing me big time but I truly hope the big 3 fail maybe then they can reorganize and turn a profit.

Also will I am on a rant I am also an ASE certified Master Tech so if anybody needs auto work let me know I will save you a bundle.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I used to have several customers that owned mechanic shops and they were always full of GM vehicles. They had a serious love hate relation ship with GM loved all the money they made off fixing their cars but hated how upset it made the customer. I stopped buying GM a few years ago, to many intake jobs and suspension problems. But I have bought 2005 Hemi Ram (made in Mexico), 2005 Hemi Durango (made in Mexico), 2007 Hemi Ram (made in Mexico) and put 50,000 miles on all but the Durango it has 78,000 miles on it with zero problems. I got rid of my 2007 ram at the begining of last year and bought a new 2008 Nissan Altima(made in America), 10,000 miles later the head liner came loose, transmission went out, the f****in car rattles to beat hell, I have had it in the shop at least six times, and they still can't fix it.

Maybe more imported cars won't be such a bad thing after all!:dunno:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    UAW

Well I see again the media has done it again
    50 dollars an hr
    120k a year
    come on guys
    I worked almost 31 years in a GM factory and NEVER made close to that amount of money even working tons of overtime
    when You hear the 50-75 dollars an hr stories that the media print they are printing what the Auto makers are telling them that Ins, Dental, Eyecare and wages are that much ( but the media prints wages )
    As far as China gos they WILL NOT ALLOW Unions and they work for wages that they cant live on , parts suppliers are sometimes prison laborers
    I havnt seen 1 complaint about the CEOs making millions
    I am willing to bet that most people who are bitching on here are driving imports
    BUY AMERICAN

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My last "American" car was a 1978 Ford Granada (remember THAT piece of crap?). At 48,000 miles, the car had new brakes, new transmission, new Air conditioner, ALL lights replaced, Front seat all shreaded, rearview mirror fell off, power-steering would fail at radom, starter was random, and it sucked gas like it wa$ free.

1982, I bought my first Honda..... I've never looked back.
    :xmad: (the Granada had to be towed to the Honda Dealer for trade-in!!!)

Last edited:

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well I see again the media has done it again
    50 dollars an hr
    120k a year
    come on guys
    I worked almost 31 years in a GM factory and NEVER made close to that amount of money even working tons of overtime
    when You hear the 50-75 dollars an hr stories that the media print they are printing what the Auto makers are telling them that Ins, Dental, Eyecare and wages are that much ( but the media prints wages )
    As far as China gos they WILL NOT ALLOW Unions and they work for wages that they cant live on , parts suppliers are sometimes prison laborers
    I havnt seen 1 complaint about the CEOs making millions
    I am willing to bet that most people who are bitching on here are driving imports
    BUY AMERICAN

And which Brand would that be?:dunno: Because my Altima was made in the US and my Durango was made in Mexico... By the way they don't over inflate those wages that much, (I know enough people that work for GM)..they are outrageous for unskilled labor!

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My last "American" car was a 1978 Ford Granada (remember THAT piece of crap?). At 48,000 miles, the car had new brakes, new transmission, new Air conditioner, ALL lights replaced, Front seat all sheaded, rearview mirror fell off, power-steering would fail at radom, starter was random, and it sucked gas like it wa$ free.

1982, I bought my first Honda..... I've never looked back.
    :xmad: (the Granada had to be towed to the Honda Dealer for trade-in!!!)
    :rofl:Some things never change!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    BUY AMERICAN

Hummmmm, could it be that we're bitching because we're tired of hearing "Quality is Job One" while they just keep churning out the same product with different nameplates glued to them???

Top Bottom