Not open for further replies.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Howdy radar. Glad you said that. I wouldn't have thought to poke them first.

There is some discussion on To Poke - or Not to Poke

One thought is you lose Flavor & Juices

the other thought is it's mostly the Grease and the Flavor is in the Meat ...they may Split from the Grease expansion - still edible - just don't look as pretty

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is some discussion on To Poke - or Not to Poke

One thought is you lose Flavor & Juices

the other thought is it's mostly the Grease and the Flavor is in the Meat ...they may Split from the Grease expansion - still edible - just don't look as pretty
    I've heard not to poke them on the grill, but hadn't heard about boiling them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Boiling just leaches out flavor, fat is flavor. Cook low and slow use tongs
    The fat is what always made me nauseous though. It's weird. I could eat a whole pound of bacon, but sausage would tear me up. Sausage gravy? No problem! I've just recently gotten to the point where I can eat breakfast sausage. I'm hoping that carries over to brats.

It really bummed me out because brats and polish sausage, kielbasa, etc. always looked and sounded so good, but if I ate them, I was gonna be puking within an hour or two. :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never could eat spare ribs or any of the fattier cuts of pork (the dark meat mostly) either. Pork loin was fine, and baby back ribs were fine. Spare ribs or country style ribs were a no go.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    The fat is what always made me nauseous though. It's weird. I could eat a whole pound of bacon, but sausage would tear me up. Sausage gravy? No problem! I've just recently gotten to the point where I can eat breakfast sausage. I'm hoping that carries over to brats.

It really bummed me out because brats and polish sausage, kielbasa, etc. always looked and sounded so good, but if I ate them, I was gonna be puking within an hour or two. :(
    Well that sucks

Lpherr

In a blue bubble

If I eat too much bacon, it makes me sick. I can eat a lot of it, or eat it several times in a day, but if I get too much, my stomach gets upset for a couple days. Of course, it hasn't stopped me from over doing it at times. Sometimes, bacon just tastes extra good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom