• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Greetings guys and girls. I am on the hunt to purchase a shotgun. I suppose the first priority is to use for home defense then perhaps having some fun on the range. Maybe some SHTF type scenario. I don't hunt, but may want to at some point.

I was initially leaning towards 20 gauge, for the less recoil and possibly easier for wifey to use also. But I think for my first shotgun I would prefer the more prevalent 12 gauge. I have done some searching here and a couple of other websites as well as online reviews and YouTube videos.

Assuming its best to begin with pump action?

Do I go with the tried and true Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 - or is there a better option?

What is the length that would be best?

Adjustable stock ala AR-15 or just standard shotgun setup? Or standard stock with pistol grip?

Mounted flashlight or other accessories?

For reference, I am by no means any type of weapons expert - and have never owned a shotgun. I currently have a S&W M&P 15 Sport AR-15, Glock 19, and Glock 43 already in the safe. I prefer the look of the tactical/black polymer style shotguns vs. the wood more hunting versions. Though I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars, I am not afraid to "step up to the plate" for the right gun. I suppose anything from $200-600 might be a reasonable price range??

So - what say you INGO? Appreciate any and all comments, opinions, and advice. :ingo::ingo:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you're going to use it reflexive for hunting or clays, run a standard shotgun stock (no pistol grip or tele).
    Shorter bbls make for decent HD rigs, but then they aren't the most forgiving in wingshooting.
    IMHO one of the better "do all" shotguns is the Remington 870 Express Supermagnum turkey model.

Reg sporter style synth stock, recoil pad, 3.5" capability (IMHO only really needed if shooting geese w standard steel pellet design shot).
    The Supermag gets you a 23" bbl, instead of a 21" (as was found on older 870 3" mag turkey guns at the time I got mine).

Came with Extra full choke tube, got a Imp Cyl (what's in it for HD) and Mod, Full and Superfull Remchokes (the last one what I run on turkeys- worked better for me with my preferred turkey loads).

Got mine used for $215 some time back. It was under a lot of camo tape (what a mess). Underneath it was like brand new (took the gamble).

Dunno what QC issues have come along since mine was made.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mossberg 500 or the Remingon 870.
    Both are tried and true offerings that will fit your bill and not break the bank.
    You can run an 18" barrel for range fun or home defense, and swap the barrel for a 24" barrel for hunting.

You should be able to find either the 500 or the 870 new with one barrel, buy the second, and still have funds left over for a couple boxes of shells.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OP, I'd have to agree with Hookeye on going with a standard shotgun--either the 870 or 500 series.

Never owned a Remington, but I do have a couple different barrels for my 500: a 28 inch skeet barrel and a 24 inch slug barrel. For home defense, the 2nd one would be ideal and when I put a turkey choke on the skeet barrel I can make loooong shots and still pop clays--makes taking cleanup shots in group shooting a lot of fun.

Both 870 and 500 designs have been around forever, can do pretty much whatever you want them to, and are almost amazing in their reliability.

Personally, I like the Mossberg safety location and slide release better, but that may just be me. Both pumps have enough weight to dampen recoil and are simple enough to use in an adrenaline dump situation.

:twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like the position of the safety and the slide release on the Mossberg 500 myself as well.
    I like them enough I bought one in .410, one in 20ga. and another in 12ga.

Great all around shotguns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mossbergs are thick at the wrist and the forends rattle.
    That ruins them for me in any wingshooting endeavor.
    Back in the day, when smoothbore slug gunning was the thing, the 500's seemed to shoot better than 870s.
    But that was using them like a rifle.

People like different things. As long as the clays break and the birds fall, that's good enough.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    My husband and I have separate shotguns for several reasons.

1. I really cannot shoot a 12 gauge more than once. It really hurts. Yes, I am holding it right. Yes, it still really hurts. No, even when I was in really, really good athletic shape in my early 20's, I still didn't have enough arm strength to tough it out. (I have always had boney shoulders, so maybe that's part of the problem. There just isn't as much meat there. I noticed today, I shot my new rifle 12 times and I have a bruise, and my husband got twice as many rounds through it and does not have a bruise. He's got a lot more meat right there. I just don't have a lot to work with.) That said, I have heard that you can get different loads for the 12 gauge and that if you use a light load, the recoil is not so bad. However, I practice with the same round that I would use in real life, so for me that was not an option.

The 20 gauge is what I can handle, and most likely when my children get to be around 10-12 they'll be able to handle it, too. Even with the 20 gauge, it's not anything that I would take out to shoot for fun. It's a necessity for safety, and that's it. Well...I do have fun, I admit, but it's tough on me and I save it for last because I'm DONE afterwards. A few shots in and I'm concentrating hard on keeping the barrel down.

2. Physically, in a bad situation, I want to be able to hold the shotgun as comfortably as possible, which means I need a lighter shotgun and a shorter stock. The shorter stock is very important for this. I ended up going with an adjustable stock.I'm 5'7", so I'm actually a bit on the taller side for a woman, and I still have it adjusted as small as it will go. The stock is nice considering that I'd like my kids to be able to use it.

3. My husband wanted an ugly shotgun and I did not. Ha ha, actually it's not that ugly, but it's a 12 gauge and more complicated to use, and just not ideal for me.

I went with a Remington 870 because it was already set up with the adjustable stock when I bought it. I had trouble with it at first because I was pumping the shells out with a delicate touch...all that does is jam it, I learned that I have to show it who's boss and I'm not going to break it if I cycle the action basically as hard as my chicken wings can do it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Any opinions on Mossberg's Maverick brand?

Entirely serviceable firearm.
    The only drawback I know of is not as many add-ons or accessories are available for the Maverick line.
    Other than that, not a thing wrong with them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Poor gun fit doesn't help with recoil.
    Some folks more conscious of the effects (but IMHO that should reduce over time to some degree).

I have buds who think a 1300 FPS target load to be brutal.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Either the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500 (or one of the 5xx variants) are the obvious choices.
    The advantages of the Mossberg are the ambidexterous (tang) safety, double extractors (more reliable, in theory extraction), the ejector can be replaced with an ordinary screwdriver, and the receiver is aluminum and a bit lighter.
    The advantages of the Remington are a steel receiver (possibly more rugged), better aftermarket parts selection, easier to modify to have a full length magazine tube, and (to my eyes) better looks.
    Whichever you get, get it initially with the plain wood or synthetic stock, then you can install the pistol grip or other stock later should you so choose.
    Also, don't sweat the recoil of 12 gauge, since you can solve that problem easily with target or light field loads that will bring recoil down to about 20 gauge levels, reserving heavier loads for hunting turkey or waterfowl.
    The main reason to go for 12 gauge is flexibility, overall better performance at greater distances, shell availability, and the price of shells is decisively lower.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I like a 20 better. Guns are a lot lighter and nicer size.

Remington makes a 7 shot synthetic that is sweet.

Other one I like is a Benelli Nova.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Assuming its best to begin with pump action?

Whatever floats your boat. I'd borrow a shotgun and go to school and then allow your software to select your hardware.

Slide action is more flexible. Automatic vs. manual transmission? Whatever, but with manual I am more flexible.

What about a single barrel? $100 and you can buy ammo and tuition with the savings.

What about a double barrel?

Do I go with the tried and true Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 - or is there a better option?

Whatever you like, but understand that the most common malfunction is what? Right, not taking off the safety. Safety manipulation is less than optimal with the Mossberg.

Gunhandling trumps everything else in your evaluation. 870 is superior here.

Given your criteria, have you looked at the Remington 870 youth? Sounds like it is up your alley.

What is the length that would be best?

Short. I don't like the muzzle in my face, but short as you can keep it and keep it Title I.

Short LOP. You have been to the big box store where Cledus takes the weapon off his shoulder to run the action (or work the bolt or the lever) with his tongue sticking out? (These are the guys that cannot figure out how Lee Harvey Oswald got off three shots). The reason that they do this is that the LOP is silly long.

"I'm kinda of a big guy." No, those guys are not big. Being fat is not being big. See the forearms? That's what controls and I betcha yours are not 15" long like an NBA center.

Get your thumb on the correct side of the stock and saw that LOP down 12" with a nice recoil pad. Short LOP helps manipulation, keeps your head down while you run the gun, and keeps the weight down.

Adjustable stock ala AR-15 or just standard shotgun setup? Or standard stock with pistol grip?

Nice fixed stock. Helps in shooting. Helps to carry ammo on the weapon in a butt cuff (one of the major draw backs to the shotgun is range AND ammo capacity). Plus the fixed stock helps if you have to stake the gun to crack it open.

I have seen guys cut their faces to crap with those goofy folding or collapsing stocks. Had a guy from the State Dept. (BDS) bleed all over his shirt with one of those stupid underfolder 870s. We shot like 5 Rolling Thunder drills in a row and he was a mess. Got a look at the stock and you could shave your back with the silly thing. Ick.

Pistol grip? If you want. You won't like it once you do retention drills with it, but the subjective is objective and Rule #1: Look Cool.

I don't like the Tommy Tactical crap so I don't have them. Everyone has to learn on his own. Get a big cardboard box, just like with holsters.

Mounted flashlight or other accessories?

I want:

1. A light.
    2. A sling (a sling is to a long gun as a holster is to a pistol).
    3. A way to carry rounds on the gun, like a side saddle or a butt cuff or both. No, not one of those goofy Tommy carriers, something on the gun! You see guys with gas mask bags, nail aprons and Tommy Tactical crap, which is cool but use that to reload the carrier on the gun. (I use a gas mask bag in class, but only to load the sidesaddle).
    4. Big sights. Keeps your head down.
    5. Solid recoil pad.

I can try to get photos of my guns if you want. They are Scattergun Technologies (I am old, get over it) FBI Models.

Secret to shotguns: reloading. Run RT drills as much as you can.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What Kirk said. Pretty much all of it. Take 200 bucks to the classifieds and find yourself a serviceable shotgun from a major manufacturer (or borrow one if that's an option). Go to a class. Learn to run the shotgun. That's the most important part. If you go to a good class, you'll see some old guy with a garage sale beater and solid gun-handling skills schooling everyone in the class.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I found a mossberg 12 ga with 26 in barrel, with vent rib at a yard sale for $75, refinished the stock, I use it for turkey shoots with full screw in choke. Bought a 18.5 in barrel for HD, loaded up with 00 buck with a butt cuff with 5 extra rounds. Just change the barrels for situation. Its the only 12 ga I have, I shoot and reload 16g for trap, got 10 of them.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Whatever floats your boat. I'd borrow a shotgun and go to school and then allow your software to select your hardware.

Slide action is more flexible. Automatic vs. manual transmission? Whatever, but with manual I am more flexible.

What about a single barrel? $100 and you can buy ammo and tuition with the savings.

What about a double barrel?

Whatever you like, but understand that the most common malfunction is what? Right, not taking off the safety. Safety manipulation is less than optimal with the Mossberg.

Gunhandling trumps everything else in your evaluation. 870 is superior here.

Given your criteria, have you looked at the Remington 870 youth? Sounds like it is up your alley.

Short. I don't like the muzzle in my face, but short as you can keep it and keep it Title I.

Short LOP. You have been to the big box store where Cledus takes the weapon off his shoulder to run the action (or work the bolt or the lever) with his tongue sticking out? (These are the guys that cannot figure out how Lee Harvey Oswald got off three shots). The reason that they do this is that the LOP is silly long.

"I'm kinda of a big guy." No, those guys are not big. Being fat is not being big. See the forearms? That's what controls and I betcha yours are not 15" long like an NBA center.

Get your thumb on the correct side of the stock and saw that LOP down 12" with a nice recoil pad. Short LOP helps manipulation, keeps your head down while you run the gun, and keeps the weight down.

Nice fixed stock. Helps in shooting. Helps to carry ammo on the weapon in a butt cuff (one of the major draw backs to the shotgun is range AND ammo capacity). Plus the fixed stock helps if you have to stake the gun to crack it open.

I have seen guys cut their faces to crap with those goofy folding or collapsing stocks. Had a guy from the State Dept. (BDS) bleed all over his shirt with one of those stupid underfolder 870s. We shot like 5 Rolling Thunder drills in a row and he was a mess. Got a look at the stock and you could shave your back with the silly thing. Ick.

Pistol grip? If you want. You won't like it once you do retention drills with it, but the subjective is objective and Rule #1: Look Cool.

I don't like the Tommy Tactical crap so I don't have them. Everyone has to learn on his own. Get a big cardboard box, just like with holsters.

I want:

1. A light.
    2. A sling (a sling is to a long gun as a holster is to a pistol).
    3. A way to carry rounds on the gun, like a side saddle or a butt cuff or both. No, not one of those goofy Tommy carriers, something on the gun! You see guys with gas mask bags, nail aprons and Tommy Tactical crap, which is cool but use that to reload the carrier on the gun. (I use a gas mask bag in class, but only to load the sidesaddle).
    4. Big sights. Keeps your head down.
    5. Solid recoil pad.

I can try to get photos of my guns if you want. They are Scattergun Technologies (I am old, get over it) FBI Models.

Secret to shotguns: reloading. Run RT drills as much as you can.

Thank you taking the time to respond with so much info. Much appreciated. :)

Top Bottom