• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    yes, please

Ok, this is what I like, on the basement ready rack:

Scattergun Technologies (purchased by Wilson 15 years ago), "FBI Model", 18"/cylinder tubes, ghostring sights, side saddles (Mesa now), lights, short buttstocks, nice rigid but spongy pads, oversized safeties (very positive), slicked action bars and bolt and crisp triggers.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Love the mossbergs. I like the slide release location better than the 870. Just recently went with wood stocks for looks as it is not only a self defense, varmint dispatcher and range toy but it's also a display piece.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    imagejpeg

Thoughts on the Mossberg 590A1 with the light built into the forend?

image96837-876054b126952dba456a2ff5bfc721b0.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    imagejpeg

Thoughts on the Mossberg 590A1 with the light built into the forend?

View attachment 45431

Meh. If you have shot one and you like it, then the subjective is objective and it is right for you.

I don't like: the safety way up La Cumbre, that fore end is a frickin' brick, and no ghosts.

I would at least consider some better sights for it. XS makes good stuff: https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8210

I like the ghosts, they keep my head down and, since I have a Charlie Brown head (roundhead), beads are trickier for me than if you have a long or box head.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    For anyone that is recoil sensitive I would recommend the Benelli. You can pick up a Benelli M2 20 ga with two barrels. One for home defence and one for birds. The recoil from the Benelli is very light in 20 ga. It is probably the softest shooting shotgun around.

To the women that got blue from shooting the 20 ga I would suggest a new recoil pad for the shotgun and to use a shooting vest with a good pad. Or get a Past shooting pad for your shoulder. If it still hurts after that I would go to the Benelli and still use the shooting pad.

I got a Past shoulder shooting pad for my wife and she now has no problem shooting her 20 ga. Shooting a shotgun shouldn't hurt. There are just to many ways to reduce recoil today. There is even a recoil reducer that can be fitted in the stock to reduce recoil.

Also she said something about it being hard to hold the barrel down. You can't stop a firearm from recoiling. You need to let the recoil push your shoulder back and the barrel come up. If you are trying to stop it you could be hurting yourself more than what the recoil will do to you.

I don't know if anyone has told you but you tuck the stock of the shotgun into the shoulder tightly. No space, hold it to the shoulder firmly. Then your support hand is on the forearm pulling it into your shoulder then the trigger hand has a firm grip on the stock. When you pull the trigger don't try to stop the recoil when it pushes your shoulder let it push your shoulder back and the barrel will come up maybe 6 to 8". It was explained to me as riding it out.

I don't mean to be coming off as a know it all. It just sounded like she needed some help. Good luck with your shotgun and shooting.

Last edited:

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Another option if you're recoil sensitive is to go semi-auto. It costs a little more but a Mossberg 930 will do everything you want. I bought the 28" field model and picked up an 18" barrel separately to go with it. A Nordic Components tube extension and an Esstac shotgun card rounded mine out. 7+1 with another 7 on the side for HD, and for trap I swap barrels and pull off the extra shells.

For anyone interested in those parts:
    Tube extension: https://nordiccomp.com/categories/new-nc-mxt-shotgun-extension-complete-assembly-12ga/
    Esstac shotgun card: Esstac Shotgun Card

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have 2 shotguns for HD, my 1100 which also gets used for 3 gun. 26 inch barrel and mag extension gives me 11 rounds on board...

1100-1-1.jpg

Second gun is a HK 121M. a total of 8 rounds on board, iron sights on one barrel and a scope mount on the other give me a good range of options.

121m1.jpg

For me the barrel length is not an issue as the shotgun will never leave the bedroom in a SD scenario. It's role is as a defensive firearm from a barricade in the bedroom, never used for clearing the rest of the house.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Leave your wife OUT of the equation. I have watched supposedly accomplished shotguners destroy new shooters inside of 3-5 rounds. Any action, any gauge, even .410. You have to know how to choose and shoot your own gun first.

If I was going to force fit one shotgun to all shooters, it would be a 20 gauge Benelli M2, with 8 or 10+1 capacity (Nordic tube). I happen to keep one around stuffed with slugs. Gives my wife something bigger than an AR for large vermin. I will dump the slugs, load up for grouse, and head out the back door for grouse. I have plenty of guns but sometimes I like to just carry a loaded gun and go light on ammo for a quick hunt. I will beat this gun, it's not pretty. Killed a coyote and grouse with it last month. All the ladies like it.

For me, for home use, I have 870's inside and out, but rarely hunt with one anymore.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have to put my vote in for the 870....if you are only going to get one for the wife and you I would go with the 20....very common round and just fine for the HD purpose. I would get a two barrel combo..one vent rib and one 18" smooth bore slug...swap the barrels as needed.

I have an 870 in 12 & 20 and the 12 never leaves the safe. The 20 can do anything I want in the field from rabbits to Squirrels to birds and the slug will smack a deer just fine.

I am not a fan of the 500....damn those things are clattery...just feels like the entire gun needs tightened up...but that is just my personal preference.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Great advice guys. Appreciate all the different perspectives and comments. I am learning quite a bit.

Of course now I am farther than ever from deciding which one to buy. Haha! :)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I looked into getting a shotgun for home defense primarily, but like the OP wanted to retain the option to hunt. Here's what I concluded:

-- 12ga, not 20ga. Ammo is much more widely available, and the easy access to low-recoil 2 3/4" 12ga removes almost all of the argument in favor of a 20 ga. (similar to how the 3.5" 12ga basically killed the 10ga shotgun).

-- comb stock, not pistol grip. And like Kirk mentioned, fixed, not adjustable.

-- Ghost rings are preferred for HD, but beads will work. Having some kind of quick-acquire optic is always a good idea. RMR? Heck yes, that would be neat.

-- Slide, not autoloader. Not because of the absurd notion that the racking of the slide is instantaneous BG repellent, but because the slide is less finicky about ammo. Some autos won't cycle well with the very light 12ga stuff you might want to run.
    -- A gun that can quickly and easily accept a rifled barrel and/or choke tubes is going to be much more versatile.

-- Everyone recommend the 870 and 500/590 to me. I found that I preferred the Benelli supernova/nova and would even consider an autoloading FN.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I looked into getting a shotgun for home defense primarily, but like the OP wanted to retain the option to hunt. Here's what I concluded:

-- 12ga, not 20ga. Ammo is much more widely available, and the easy access to low-recoil 2 3/4" 12ga removes almost all of the argument in favor of a 20 ga. (similar to how the 3.5" 12ga basically killed the 10ga shotgun).

-- comb stock, not pistol grip. And like Kirk mentioned, fixed, not adjustable.

-- Ghost rings are preferred for HD, but beads will work. Having some kind of quick-acquire optic is always a good idea. RMR? Heck yes, that would be neat.

-- Slide, not autoloader. Not because of the absurd notion that the racking of the slide is instantaneous BG repellent, but because the slide is less finicky about ammo. Some autos won't cycle well with the very light 12ga stuff you might want to run.
    -- A gun that can quickly and easily accept a rifled barrel and/or choke tubes is going to be much more versatile.

-- Everyone recommend the 870 and 500/590 to me. I found that I preferred the Benelli supernova/nova and would even consider an autoloading FN.

Thank you for taking the time to post/respond. Can you please let me know why you chose the Benelli Nova over the 870 and 500/590? I was checking out the Nova earlier today online.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Honestly I don't see why a pistol grip stock like I use on my 1100 is so frowned upon by so many yet the same pistol grip on a precision rifle or AR/AK style hunting rifle is perfectly ok. Same as when using a pistol grip equipped rifle for SD purposes. I have shot as many straights in skeet and trap with either the pistol grip or a thumbhole stock on my 1100 as I have with my conventionally stocked O/U.

In my opinion the OP should spend some time trying both and decide which he prefers before buying.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you have to ask why someone bought a Nova, that's enough of a reason not to buy it. Worst choice of all guns in this thread due to LOP. Most women, kids and people under 5'8" will not like it. Even many 5'10" and under.

Yesterday I took three long shots at a running coyote with an 870. That gun has a Mesa Urbino pistol grip stock with adjustable cheek riser and it shoulders, swings and points as good as any 870, and I use it for grouse. I am with Detonics on this, you need to shoot. Also, there are some bazooka loads out there for 20's. More than able to take turkey, ducks or geese up close. What a 20 gives you is a lighter gun to carry all day. Dead is dead with a shotgun. Load selection and making hits count. 12 is more of a psychological crutch then a physical advantage.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Thank you for taking the time to post/respond. Can you please let me know why you chose the Benelli Nova over the 870 and 500/590? I was checking out the Nova earlier today online.
    Nothing rational or sensible really. The supernova fits me well, but I have a ~74" wingspan and narrow shoulders. I've had several friends with benellis and all love them.

So the main preference is based on being exposed to it. I've limited experience with and 870 and (gasp) never fired the 500.

People can prefer things for all kinds of irrational reasons. Looking at you, South Carolina republicans;)

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    You can never have too many shotguns. Yes, Moss. 500 or 590, or Rem 870. You will find myriads of accessories, barrel lengths, and doo-hickeys to attach to them. Even bayonets if you so desire.

Really all you need in my opinion is the shotty of your choice. 3 barrels- 18.5" for home defence, 20" rifled for deer, and a 26" with choke threads for fowl, clays, skeet... whatever. Then make sure you got a good furniture set, and a spare pistol grip. Maybe get yourself a 12 to 20 gauge chamber adapter, so you can shoot both types of shells. You should be able to achieve this for under $600.

Top Bottom