Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Back in the day, a few cops I knew would wait till you left the lot, found a reason for a traffic stop, and cash in on your act. It has already been discussed, and sounds like the message to keep and carry your LTCH, and DL. Try CC for a while, no one cares, or knows. New LEOs are just that, new. You do have your rights, and lucky that day it did not end with a trip anywhere besides home. With all the news reports, the holidays, people are getting nervous. Good luck in the future.

Maybe if you are INVISIBLE CARRYING.
    If you are CCing, it can still be noticed. Then you still will have police and society ythat think you shouldn't.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    For the Record: IANAL But I do speak from extensive experience..

They could not cite him for Driving While Suspended they could not tow his car for it either.

At the time of interaction He was not driving said vehicle. Even after being asked they still couldnt anyway since they cannot "prove beyond a reasonable doubt" that he did.

Even if he told the cop "I did" that does not meet the burden of proof. I can tell a cop I am a Jelly Donut when asked for ID but that does not make me a Jelly Donut.

Except tht we all KNOW you are a jelly donut!:D

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think it's your attitude that bothers me. That's probably what bothers the police as well. I don't know you, but what I detect is kind of a wiseguy attitude that one day will get you shot by the police. Then it won't matter whether you were right or wrong, because you'll be dead anyway. My advice, which you will not accept, is to try being a little bit of a better citizen and don't give the police any reason to look at you cross-eyed.

I like being unnoticed, myself.

WTH?:n00b:
    Someone with a "wise guy attitude" is likely to "get ...shot by the police"?:dunno:
    How was he not being a good citizen?:dunno:

It's attitudes like YOURS that bother ME!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This may be difficult for you, but try to put yourself in the place of the officers. You made their job more difficult by not having your license with you. No one likes to have additional work to do.

To this group you have made multiple excuses for not carrying your license with you. I don't accept your excuses. It isn't difficult to make sure you have appropriate ID with you at all times.

Cops are not perfect and they don't always know every nuance of every law they are charged with enforcing. Why not just fly under the radar instead of asking for scrutiny? Eventually you will make a misstep.

So, making "their job more difficult" might get him shot?

I doubt that he cares whether or not YOU "accept" his "excuses"!:n00b:
    And by the way, you ARE NOT required to carry I.D. at all times!

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I routinely take my little girl on walks around the neighborhood w/o my wallet. Not illegal, and not a big deal. I've even forgot my wallet on the rare occasion that my wife drives (it is next to my keys).

Yep. Off by a year :D.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No,no... Yer a Grown MAN. You CARRY yer wallet & keys on you.......:rolleyes:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    try to put yourself in the place of the officers. You made their job more difficult by not having your license with you. No one likes to have additional work to do.

An electrician is running fiber optic cables through innerduct in an existing underground tunnel system. He encounters an access that is already full and offers no additional room to run his innerduct though. He now has additional work to make the access larger, so naturally since no one likes to have additional work to do, he will take it out on the engineer who had inadequate underground drawings despite the fact that he is just an employee who gets paid by the hour anyway to deal with problems as they arise. It would be presumptuous to ask him to simply do his job. After all, no one likes to have additional work to do.

A nurse is tending to a patient who becomes burdensome or has complications after surgery. She now has additional work tending to the patient, so naturally since no one likes to have additional work to do, she will take it out on the patient despite the fact that she is just an employee who gets paid by the hour anyway to deal with problems as they arise. It would be presumptuous to ask her to simply do her job. After all, no one likes to have additional work to do.

A programmer is working on his project at pace when suddenly the customer submits some additional requirements that were not in the original scope of work. He now has additional work to complete the project, so naturally since no one likes to have additional work to do, he will take it out on the customer and give him a hard time or even sabotage the project despite the fact that he is just an employee who gets paid by the hour anyway to deal with problems as they arise. It would be presumptuous to ask him to simply do his job. After all, no one likes to have additional work to do.

A carpenter is building a house when the homeowner gives him a change. He now has additional work to complete the project, so naturally since no one likes to have additional work to do, he will take it out on the homeowner and give him a hard time or even sabotage the project despite the fact that he is just an employee who gets paid by the hour anyway to deal with problems as they arise. It would be presumptuous to ask him to simply do his job. After all, no one likes to have additional work to do.

A pipefitter is...

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This may be difficult for you, but try to put yourself in the place of the officers. You made their job more difficult by not having your license with you. No one likes to have additional work to do.

To this group you have made multiple excuses for not carrying your license with you. I don't accept your excuses. It isn't difficult to make sure you have appropriate ID with you at all times.

Cops are not perfect and they don't always know every nuance of every law they are charged with enforcing. Why not just fly under the radar instead of asking for scrutiny? Eventually you will make a misstep.

It sounds like you are making excuses for cops to not perform their jobs correctly but instead insist on the subject/suspect to not only know all the laws but half of the LEO's job too.

Care to explain?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

1. If they don't like having extra work to do, why then did they choose to assume that illegal activity was happening with no indication of any activity beyond the many buying his lunch? It seems that they made the extra work themselves.

2. If they don't know the law, they shouldn't try to enforce the law they don't know.

3. Why don't you just whisper in the shadows rather than flaunting your opinion openly here lest you **** someone off?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It sounds like you are making excuses for cops to not perform their jobs correctly but instead insist on the subject/suspect to not only know all the laws but half of the LEO's job too.

Care to explain?

I find it bemusing that everyone is berating the guy for not having his papers squared away. Legality aside, does his suspension of driver's 'license' have any more effect on his ability to drive than does his possession - or lack of possession - of his 'license' to carry affect his ability to bear arms responsibly?

I think not.

We're deep into it, and sooner or later, things will have to be straightened out. And how.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I find it bemusing that everyone is berating the guy for not having his papers squared away. Legality aside, does his suspension of driver's 'license' have any more effect on his ability to drive than does his possession - or lack of possession - of his 'license' to carry affect his ability to bear arms responsibly?

I think not.

We're deep into it, and sooner or later, things will have to be straightened out. And how.

:+1: Such a terrible time to be out of rep! Very well said. I also have to wonder how some of the people who present themselves as being more perfect than God including in this case being above every walking out the door forgetting something actually perform in the real world.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Didn't you know? The license itself emits a +5 Aura of Accuracy. Nearly required if you plan to use the firearm. Otherwise, you're spray-n-pray without it.

All officers know this... I think.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Missing the point. We all have unlimited rights as long as we don't infringe on another person rights. How was he infringing on anyone's rights? Leos are there to[STRIKE] protect your rights[/STRIKE] Enforce laws. So unless there is a victim there is no crime. A Code or statue is not law. There is only common law. And a LTCH is a infringement on everyone's rights. So what the cops did was wrong the victim was the OP.

FTFY, the police are not around to protect your rights... they have no duty to protect an individual, or an individuals rights, only the "general public".\

um, I'm pretty sure that an IC is law...of course IANAL

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    FTFY, the police are not around to protect your rights... they have no duty to protect an individual, or an individuals rights, only the "general public".\

um, I'm pretty sure that an IC is law...of course IANAL

I think you're talking to a 'sovereign citizen' or similar. Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom