• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Gander employees always seem to have a chip on their shoulders. I don't buy from gander much, just look at selections. My dad bought from them and they treated him like crap and he wont go back.

If I had to guess though, i bet they are required to notify a manager just in case, so that if anything might happen they are aware and can take the proper precautions.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I will preface this post by saying that although I choose to CC, I would never put ANYONE down for deciding to OC. Its their right and if they chose to do so, good for them.

Anyway. . .

lovemywoods and I were discussing this very issue the other day, and the homosexual comparison came up (by me). I was curious how it would turn out if permit holders took the same steps as homosexuals did, by "coming out of the closet" and standing up for their rights and making it VERY clear how they felt on the issue by carrying openly.

But I kept coming back to this: In the state of Indiana, permit holders only make up. . . what? . . . 1% or 2% of the total population? (BoR do you have the numbers on this?) If EVERY SINGLE permit holder decided today to OC everywhere (including those that have a permit but never carry a gun), and not a single permit holder CC'd, would that even be enough to make a difference in anyone's mind? Would that 2% make that much of a difference?

Not being argumentative, just curious.

Only OC curious, I hope. :gaychase:

Just kidding. What anyone does in their bedroom is none of my business.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    i often wonder the same thing when i read threads like this.

to the OP:

so you OCd in a public place and *think someone made a "frantic" phone call to...management? the feds? the fire dept? who knows? maybe someone found a turd in the mop bucket again, who knows. does your OC experience in gander mountain REALLY merit a thread in the "personal defense" portion of this website? just curious as to why you created this thread. it is not informative, nor does it ask/answer any questions regarding personal defense. it appears the "carry issue" you had was a bad look. i get those all the time, most everywhere i go haha.
    No offense, but if it bothers you don't read the thread. There are plenty of threads on the board that I don' think merit posting, but I just move along. If you don't think it merits a thread, don't read it and certainly don't prolong it by posting in it.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I will preface this post by saying that although I choose to CC, I would never put ANYONE down for deciding to OC. Its their right and if they chose to do so, good for them.

Anyway. . .

lovemywoods and I were discussing this very issue the other day, and the homosexual comparison came up (by me). I was curious how it would turn out if permit holders took the same steps as homosexuals did, by "coming out of the closet" and standing up for their rights and making it VERY clear how they felt on the issue by carrying openly.

But I kept coming back to this: In the state of Indiana, permit holders only make up. . . what? . . . 1% or 2% of the total population? (BoR do you have the numbers on this?) If EVERY SINGLE permit holder decided today to OC everywhere (including those that have a permit but never carry a gun), and not a single permit holder CC'd, would that even be enough to make a difference in anyone's mind? Would that 2% make that much of a difference?

Not being argumentative, just curious.

In all seriousness, I re-read your post. How many vocal homosexuals do you think make up the population? I know quite a few homosexuals who work where I am employed and almost none of them are actively political or vocal about their homosexuality. They feel it is nobody's business. However we all know that there are some very vocal homosexuals that constantly get media attention and make politicians tremble. They are organized, and they do not shut up or give in.

It is rather sad that it is acceptable to be militantly homosexual (not a guaranteed right), but you are looked at as a loon and a "threat to the government" and possibly a "domestic terrorist" if you are militant about God-given rights that are already guaranteed by our Constitution (or Bill of Rights in this case).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In all seriousness, I re-read your post. How many vocal homosexuals do you think make up the population? I know quite a few homosexuals who work where I am employed and almost none of them are actively political or vocal about their homosexuality.

Are these the kind of people that most would immediately recognize as being homosexual? If so, then I equate that to someone who OCs. The OCer might not be politically active, but people looking at him immediately recognize that he's carrying a gun, and therefore believes in gun rights.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

About 5% of the total population, about 10% of the adult population. That's per a 2004 Indiananapolis Star article. I suspect the numbers have gone up since then.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If people see guns everyday they will be less threatening. They will be a part of life. Everyone knows something that they might not see everyday that might feel threatening. What if you saw it everyday? If I see a Ferrari I would stop and gawk at it. The people of LA wouldn't even look twice. The same can be said for guns. What if you saw someone with a gun in Wal-mart every time you went in there? Would it make it different for you? How about for someone who doesn't see guns often? Of course it would.

Great discussion everyone BTW.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If people see guns everyday they will be less threatening.

Above is the argument I hear many OCers make, and it may be a valid one. Its what got me making parallels to the homosexual community, in terms of numbers.

Thanks to dburkhead for the numbers.

Ok, so 10% of the adult population in '04. For argument's sake, lets say that number is now 15%. Those numbers are much greater than I had anticipated, so perhaps my thinking is not correct after all.

Let's remember that out of this 15%, a smaller percentage actually carry their gun (OC or CC) on a regular basis. Again, for argument's sake, lets assume that the ENTIRE 15% of Hoosier adults were to start OCing everyday starting tomorrow.

Would this make a difference?

Could that 15% be enough to start turning the tide? Would people notice enough to the point where they saw it as commonplace? Would 'popular opinion' begin shifting to acceptance of carried guns?

This would mean that if Lucas Oil Stadium was at full capacity (70k adults), you could expect 10,500 openly armed people to be in the stands.

While sitting at your 1,000 adult-member church you could see 150 armed members. For your church of 40 adults, 6 would be armed.

Putting it into perspective, it sure seems like it would make a difference. I think 10K armed people at Lucas Oil Stadium would be noticed.

So OCers now have an attainable goal: Get EVERYONE to OC, all the time. :D

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Above is the argument I hear many OCers make, and it may be a valid one. Its what got me making parallels to the homosexual community, in terms of numbers.

Thanks to dburkhead for the numbers.

Ok, so 10% of the adult population in '04. For argument's sake, lets say that number is now 15%. Those numbers are much greater than I had anticipated, so perhaps my thinking is not correct after all.

Let's remember that out of this 15%, a smaller percentage actually carry their gun (OC or CC) on a regular basis. Again, for argument's sake, lets assume that the ENTIRE 15% of Hoosier adults were to start OCing everyday starting tomorrow.

Would this make a difference?

Could that 15% be enough to start turning the tide? Would people notice enough to the point where they saw it as commonplace? Would 'popular opinion' begin shifting to acceptance of carried guns?

This would mean that if Lucas Oil Stadium was at full capacity (70k adults), you could expect 10,500 openly armed people to be in the stands.

While sitting at your 1,000 adult-member church you could see 150 armed members. For your church of 40 adults, 6 would be armed.

Putting it into perspective, it sure seems like it would make a difference. I think 10K armed people at Lucas Oil Stadium would be noticed.

So OCers now have an attainable goal: Get EVERYONE to OC, all the time. :D

Compare those numbers to various minority groups:

Homosexuals - 3-6%
    Hispanic - 15%
    African-American - 12%
    Asian American - 5%

If homosexuals, with 3-6% of the population, can be a political force to be reckoned with, they surely people who carry handguns for defense of themselves and others could also be. Note that that 3-6% includes significant numbers that are still, to some extent, "in the closet."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So it looks like my guess at permit holders was low, and my guess at homosexuals was high.

Maybe you OC guys are onto something. . . .

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Some of you guys concern me. Are you OC because it's your right or are you looking for a confrontation? Are you truely exersizing your 2nd Amendment Rights or are you wanting someone to freak-out? I was in BG Firearms yesterday and an OC walked in. Thats fine and good but I noticed he strutted around to make sure everyone saw it. I also noticed the gun still had a magazine in it. They have a "NO LOADED GUNS IN THE STORE" policy for safety reasons. I was just leaving so I am unsure if Barney Fife was asked to go outside and unload it or not. Greg was not there or I'll bet he would have been. Please remember guys, this is our Consitutional Right to keep and bear arms. But if you haven't noticed, our Rights are being eliminated, 1 by 1, by the left in this country. All it takes is a small group of vocal "concerned citizens" and we are in a fight for our rights. Descression is the better part of valor. You should ask yourself, "What would Wyatt Earp do?". He hid his pistol in his coat pocket before proceeding to the OK Corral.

I have to deal with those two misconceptions first. The Constitution does NOT give us any Rights.

It enumerates the Rights we have, given to us by our Creator. The Constitution is a limit on the Government, not on us.

As to looking for a confrontation, I went into GM yesterday because of NWIN40cal's experience last week. I did not want to elicit a confrontation but if there was going to be one I'd rather be it rather than someone not as comfortable with OC.

I also wanted names to pass on to corporate to lay this issue to rest.

On other occasions when I OC it is for convince and/or comfort.

As I've said I've never had a negative incident dealing with non-gun store employees.

I've never had anyone complain about my OC except up tight gun owners with sticks up their @sses.

In this case some ****-ant local clerk or manager isn't going to dictate corporate policy like some mall cop tyrant. I will ensure they follow corporate policy.

You brought up "BG firearms". It has nothing to do with safety. It's idiot gun owners acting as tyrants in their shops. Carry firearms should be exempted from the unloaded rules.

Places like Cabelas, Target, Gander Mountain and many other big box retailers have corporate policies allowing loaded and open and concealed policies in their stores for customers. Do you really think these stores would have those sorts of policies if there was a liability issue? Of course not. Do you really think the idiots at BG firearms have better lawyers than those at Cabelas, gander or especially Target? HA!

I won't shop at any gun store that tells me I can't carry inside.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I stopped by Gander Mountain OC'ing on Saturday as well. It was probably around 11 a.m. No hassles, no looks, no problems. Except for the ammo prices & holster selection. $50 for 100 rounds .40 FMJ Winchesters. Uh, yeah, I'll just go to Wal-Mart for practice rounds & walk to Cabela's for carrying. In all the time I've been OC'ing (6 months) I've only been confronted once, and that was from another customer at a pet store.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Some of you guys concern me. Are you OC because it's your right or are you looking for a confrontation? Are you truly exercising your 2nd Amendment Rights or are you wanting someone to freak-out?

I think there is an element of truth to what you say here.

Seems to me some folks here would almost purposely speed in front of a cop just so they would get pulled over, and then start some **** with the cop so they could later post about it here.

I could be wrong, but that's a feeling I get when I read some of these posts.

Do whatever you want, though.

It's a free country.

So far.

Sorta.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Your analogy is off though. Speeding isn't our right. As a matter of fact, that's breaking the law.

We are fully within the law, just not some people's opnions. And those opnions are wrong. It is NOT illegal to open carry. My pink piece of paper is NOT a conceal carry permit. Not a CCW but rather a LTCH.

Furthermore, no one is going into the store looking to pick a fight. Just educate. We are carrying openly, in a holster, and shopping. The store employees, who are ignorant to the store policies pick the fights.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    You brought up "BG firearms". It has nothing to do with safety. It's idiot gun (shop?) owners acting as tyrants in their shops. Carry firearms should be exempted from the unloaded rules.

Places like Cabelas, Target, Gander Mountain and many other big box retailers have corporate policies allowing loaded and open and concealed policies in their stores for customers. Do you really think these stores would have those sorts of policies if there was a liability issue? Of course not. Do you really think the idiots at BG firearms have better lawyers than those at Cabelas, gander or especially Target? HA!

I won't shop at any gun store that tells me I can't carry inside.

I seem to remember the BG Firearms owner stating on this site that carry arms were OK in his shop.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/84340-post99.html

If I might may I explain my stores position with the "NO LOADED FIREARMS." I have the sign posted on my entrance door soley as a reminder for persons bringing in firearms to be worked on,traded,trying on holsters,selling,or etc...I fully support the 2amend. and encourage all to exercise their rights granted to us by the constitution.I assure you, myself as well as my employees will never ask a customer to disarm themselves based simply on the issue of "NO LOADED FIREARMS." Now one might ask now why dont I post all that on my entry door and the simple answer is not enough space on my door. I took an oath to uphold the Constitution of both the United States of America and the State of Indiana, all which I take very seriously. Hope this makes BEECH GROVE FIREARMS policy on "NO LOADED FIREARMS" a little more understandable.I'm just trying to keep us all safe in the store and by no means am I suggesting we are safer/better than anybody else but just that the less loaded firearms out with actions being worked the less chance of an accident.Thanks GREG...
    I've done business with them, as have many members here. I have never heard a discouraging word about Beech Grove Firearms.

You might wanna rethink the "idiots" comment...

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    You guys should be a younger guy, and try to get any service at all at the gun counter at Gander Mountain.

Honestly, f*uck those guys. If I want to get treated like a second class citizen because I'm not some old fat fart, I can go to Don's.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You guys should be a younger guy, and try to get any service at all at the gun counter at Gander Mountain.

Honestly, f*uck those guys. If I want to get treated like a second class citizen because I'm not some old fat fart, I can go to Don's.

Happens all the time. I enjoy making them feel incompetent though. So I go in for my entertainment.

:+1: to you.

Top Bottom