• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The housing market is starting to crash, we are rapidly approaching a "buyers market" so if they actually think you are serious about walking away it would strengthen your negotiations.

Also, if there were multiple offers, then try to stretch out the negotiations, let those other potential buyers find a new home somewhere else so they are out of play. Respond in 48 hours instead of 24, etc etc etc
    I think the buyers market is trailing in this area. There is a massive exodus of Indy moving north to find cheaper housing. It is really ****ing up the housing in Kokomo right now, plus they just broke ground on the largest EV battery factory in the US, some 2500 new direct jobs coming in...

I really hope to have a home before that all happens. The dude who owns the home currently lives in Kentucky, so hopefully he will willing to deal to keep from paying his monthly payments on the house. I know the house had 5 offers come in after we put ours in as he was accepting backup offers, so who knows.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Home inspection went really well yesterday. Found out that none of the bedrooms and 8 outlets in the living room are not grounded. The AC, furnace, and water heater are from 94. The garage is not grounded. The furnace intake is right above the furnace, which we were told is illegal and needs to be relocated at least 10 feet away... And the roof only has about 5 years left on it.

So now we go back to the table and ask for major concessions in price, or we walk away.
    You can ground the outlets to the conduit. Just do it BEFORE you move in.

Water heater is about $500, depending on what you're getting. Not too hard to replace.

Furnace intake... that's a problem.

I just had a new furnace a couple years ago, high efficiency. They put in pipe to the garage wall.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    You can ground the outlets to the conduit. Just do it BEFORE you move in.

Water heater is about $500, depending on what you're getting. Not too hard to replace.

Furnace intake... that's a problem.

I just had a new furnace a couple years ago, high efficiency. They put in pipe to the garage wall.
    Why specifically before I move in?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think the buyers market is trailing in this area. . . The dude who owns the home currently lives in Kentucky, so hopefully he will willing to deal to keep from paying his monthly payments on the house. . .
    So, all within your current contract, string him out as long as possible. You and he have a binding contract. How many days do you have to get the inspection done? If you have more time, do another inspection, even if it is just you and your fiancee. Just string it out. Then respond with the problems a day before the deadline. Then he has to respond. Then you get time to respond . . . slowly. Drag it out, wear him down, but do it all in a friendly way and make sure you don't step outside of your contract's stipulations

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Why specifically before I move in?
    Depending on when the house was built those ungrounded outlets MAY be grandfathered in.

If they are 2 prong outlets and where installed prior to 1962 they are GRANDFATHERED and do not require a ground.

It's relatively safe to use an ungrounded outlets provided YOUR equipment that you plug in is in good working order.

If say you plug in a radio and that radio's internally malfunction and cause electrical issues with an ungrounded outlets you can potential pass the current to all the other outlets in that circuit. So if you touch another outlet while the radio is having its issues you will get zapped.

Thus in 1962 to avoid these issues a third wire, normally green or bare copper, was required for grounding purposes.

The electrical box will also have a 3rd bus with ground wires on it and have a dedicated wire going to ground rods OUTSIDE the house at least 1 copper 10 ft plus buried rod sometimes 2 of them spaced out.

So what year is the house?

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Depending on when the house was built those ungrounded outlets MAY be grandfathered in.

If they are 2 prong outlets and where installed prior to 1962 they are GRANDFATHERED and do not require a ground.

It's relatively safe to use an ungrounded outlets provided YOUR equipment that you plug in is in good working order.

If say you plug in a radio and that radio's internally malfunction and cause electrical issues with an ungrounded outlets you can potential pass the current to all the other outlets in that circuit. So if you touch another outlet while the radio is having its issues you will get zapped.

Thus in 1962 to avoid these issues a third wire, normally green or bare copper, was required for grounding purposes.

The electrical box will also have a 3rd bus with ground wires on it and have a dedicated wire going to ground rods OUTSIDE the house at least 1 copper 10 ft plus buried rod sometimes 2 of them spaced out.

If by chance you're going FHA loan, just walk away, it'll probably never pass.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

:facepalm:

F.............
    Right at the cutoff when most builders were still not doing it right.

If you don't have the ground rods or that extra bus it's gonna be $$.

You can do it in different ways.

1) install the 3rd wire at the outlets about $150 to $170 per outlet + install the ground rods ($300 per rod) + the ground bar in the electrical panel.

This is the preferred way and gets you up to code for 2022.

2) install a GFCI outlet in all those locations cost is about $30 for material alone. If you hire an electrician it's around $250 per outlet.

This ensures you are safe at each ungrounded outlets. code DOES allow this. Most diy go this route and buy and install the Gfci themseleves.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't let this discourage you.
    1970s and earlier homes are better material then the crap being installed now which are designed to last 20 to 25 years only.

If the home was well maintenence and kept up those homes last longer.

AVOID BRAND NEW BUILT HOMES.
    they use the cheapest materials, cut corners, etc.

Unless you are doing a custom home and you are on-site daily reviewing all the materials and work avoid, avoid, avoid.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    the older part of my house is only 2 prong with no ground and we have never had an issue
    For 98% for users this will be the case. Your 60 year old electrical system will work and be safe PROVIDED the end user does their part and not plug in bad equipment (frayed wires, devices that require MORE power than the outlet can handle, etc..)

Sadly some of the changes to the electrical code we (us population) have implemented only after learning a costly lesson typically by the loss of lives.

Grounding being one of them.

New to 2020 is the requirement of an emergency shut off switch for first responders (fire fighters) to residential homes. Sadly we have lost fire fighters trying to disconnect power to a burning house by litterly ripping off the electrical meter to save lives inside. :(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ordered a gasket for the fridge. I've needed it for years. Finally remembered.
    Of course I have to wait for it.

But $ONE HUNDRED FIFTY!

YIKES!

I was gonna change the freezer one, but that was EVEN MORE.

Then I figured, it's not so bad since the fridge is almost 30 years old.
    And new stuff seems to be CRAP.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I couldn't imagine how much a roof replacement costs in today's market...if you can get it done without waiting months. Should be an interesting number negotiated.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, guess I will get to experience more/worse migraines.
    After I retired, I had to pay $100 copay for the Botox for the 30 shots in the head/neck/shoulders that lower the amount of migraines, and lessen the intensity.
    They just called, and now want $300.
    Of course there is a "program" I can enroll in, and I can probably get it for free. All I have to do is give over a bunch of personal information.
    Of course, they want to make money off people's info.
    NO THANKS. My privacy is NOT for sale.
    So I just canceled the doc appointment for tomorrow.
    Now, they won't get money from insurance or me.
    F' them.
    I guess I'm going in to investigate other treatments. Who knows, maybe they'll work better.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I couldn't imagine how much a roof replacement costs in today's market...if you can get it done without waiting months. Should be an interesting number negotiated.
    I just had mine done last summer, but I can't remember.
    It was a bit pricey, because I had the house roof done, I think 3 layers removed, a LOT of plywood replaced, some fascia replaced, and the flat garage roof redone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom