Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm sure before this is over we all will know someone who will be sick with the virus.
    I know three who have passed. The couple who lived across the street from me for the first 40 years of my life passed a couple of weeks ago, one day apart. The other one I knew was a volunteer at St Anthony.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks, I had seen this somewhere but wasn't sure. I think all I have are red and yellow. Will head over to True Value on Monday.

You can at least use them till you find proper snap caps if you so choose. I think I remember reading somewhere that 17hmr snap caps work for 22mag, but dont quote me on that as I'm not positive

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm sure before this is over we all will know someone who will be sick with the virus.

One of my high school fencers has it. As does his mother. I presume his whole family has it.

A dentist friend has it, got it from a patient who needed an emergency procedure. He gave it to his wife & both kids. His elderly parents live in the "in-law" quarters of the same house and his mom is not in good health so they are very concerned for her.

A guy I know as an acquaintance (close friend of my sister/BIL) has it.

So yeah, I think we will all know people who have had it. Fortunately all those who I know seem to have a reasonably mild case. My fencer's mom seems to have had it worst of all the people I know. She was worse than miserable for 4-5 days. Been sick for a couple weeks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Snap.
    Generally, dry firing rimfires is bad.
    The striker is supposed to strike the rim of the cartridge, which is soft brass.
    If the cartridge isn't there, it strikes the metal of the gun behind where the rim would be.
    Which is a hard metal.
    Over time, this can mushroom the striker. Which can cause light strikes on the rim later on.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Snap.
    Generally, dry firing rimfires is bad.
    The striker is supposed to strike the rim of the cartridge, which is soft brass.
    If the cartridge isn't there, it strikes the metal of the gun behind where the rim would be.
    Which is a hard metal.
    Over time, this can mushroom the striker. Which can cause light strikes on the rim later on.
    Not planning on dry firing without something in the cylinder, but are you saying even dry firing with snap caps is bad?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not planning on dry firing without something in the cylinder, but are you saying even dry firing with snap caps is bad?

Dry fire with something IN it.
    Snap caps, empty brass, live ammo.

When u dry fire it with one of those the firing pin will hit the "soft brass" which it is designed to hit and thus not damage.

When u dry fire with nothing in the way the fire pin will hit the metal of the firearm, its body, which over time will damage the fire pin since the firearm metal is much harder then brass.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom