Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Got up.

Drove to the liquor store ... those are closing tonight? Bought a case of wine. I was the only customer at 8:35am. I had my N95 mask.

Drove to Tractor Supply ... picked up dog treats, dog toys and 10 bags of water softener salt. I was the only customer in the store. Both the clerk and myself in masks.

Drove to bank but arrived a couple minutes before opening ... drive through windows only ... I was 2nd in line when they opened ... lots of cars pulled in behind me. While at the bank parking lot in St John, I looked over and the Strack & Van Til, Target and Aldi parking lots were packed with shoppers.

Back south out of the civilized area and stopped at the gas station in Cedar Lake to refill the gas cans. Gas station had a smaller than average number of cars filling up and people spaced farther apart. Traffic was light, probably 40% of normal. Continued south to God's country and a Covid free life surrounded by deer, coyotes and song birds.

I saw people driving in their own cars, windows rolled up, wearing masks while driving. WTF? I totally get wearing them in public, among strangers. And using hand sanitizer EVERY TIME you touch anything. And spraying down products with Lysol or a Bleach solution. But why would you wear a mask INSIDE your own car while driving with the windows up?

Worked on the lawn tractor, not sure what happened but the battery had drained down. That is recharging now.

I'm glad I don't have to leave the property very often. Should be able to stay here, without venturing off the land for quite a while.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :wow: they are actually shutting down liquor stores?

Let the riots and looting begin.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :wow: they are actually shutting down liquor stores?

Let the riots and looting begin.

Yup. Store owner said it was order of the governor. Liquor Stores are now NON-ESSENTIAL businesses. I think Target, Meijer, etc are going to love the sales boost.

Said they will TRY to do curbside service but didn't know how they could actually do it, his computer is not set up for it and he has a big store with a wide selection of goods so putting all that on-line would take quite a bit of time. But he said they will try.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I saw people driving in their own cars, windows rolled up, wearing masks while driving. WTF? I totally get wearing them in public, among strangers. And using hand sanitizer EVERY TIME you touch anything. And spraying down products with Lysol or a Bleach solution. But why would you wear a mask INSIDE your own car while driving with the windows up?
    Because it's easier than taking it off and putting it on everywhere you go, especially if you have handled something from the outside. If you take it off and put it on every time you make a stop somewhere, then you have to worry about only handling it after you have cleaned your hands. It's just an extra unnecessary step.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Because it's easier than taking it off and putting it on everywhere you go, especially if you have handled something from the outside. If you take it off and put it on every time you make a stop somewhere, then you have to worry about only handling it after you have cleaned your hands. It's just an extra unnecessary step.

These are people on US41 driving in a rural area alone.

If they cleaned their hands they can safely remove it inside their car. At least 1 was also wearing gloves, which, if she touched anything, are now contaminated and she now has contaminated her steering wheel, shift lever, radio controls, seat belt, etc.

I guess I could understand the mask if going from stop to stop in the city but not driving miles alone on US41 in the countryside. But not the gloves. Wash your hands, or sanitize them, or toss the gloves in the trash bin at the exit of the store.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Yup. Store owner said it was order of the governor. Liquor Stores are now NON-ESSENTIAL businesses. I think Target, Meijer, etc are going to love the sales boost.

Said they will TRY to do curbside service but didn't know how they could actually do it, his computer is not set up for it and he has a big store with a wide selection of goods so putting all that on-line would take quite a bit of time. But he said they will try.

I seen nothing about liquor stores being non essential all of a sudden. I read Holcomb's newest EO yesterday. Nothing in it about changing what was already deemed essential in previous EOs

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here is the applicable portion of the EO issued issued yesterday. The difference (in this regard) is highlighted. They define what is essential; they don't list every kind of business considered non-essential.

Retail businesses providing the necessities of life include grocery stores, supermarkets, supercenters or mass merchandizers (provided they have a sizable food/grocery section such as Meijer and Walmart), specialty food stores, certified farmer's markets, farm and produce stands, convenience stores and gas stations, pharmacies, auto sales, auto supply auto maintenance or repair, farm equipment construction equipment, bicycle shops, hardware and supply stores, office supply stores, pet supply stores, club stores (provided they have a sizable food/grocery such as Sam's Club or Costco) building material and supplies stores (e.g., Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot).

Retail businesses providing the necessities of life as described above may remain open to the public under the following conditions and restrictions:

i) Such businesses should limit the number of customers in their facility at any given time to achieve the CDC's required social distancing;
    ii) Such businesses should limit their hours of operation and consider implementing separate operating hours for the elderly and other vulnerable customers; and
    iii) Such businesses shall comply with social distancing and sanitation of applicable areas and other mitigation measures to protect its employees and the public.

As of 11 :59 p.m. on April 7, 2020, all other retail businesses not included above as selling the necessities of life may remain open only for online or call-in ordering with delivery or curbside pickup. These retail businesses shall comply with social distancing and sanitation of applicable areas and other mitigation measures to protect its employees and the public.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I believe they can stay open. Some may decide to close but I doubt many will. May have to offer curb side service instead but I dont believe they HAVE to close

https://indianaeconomicdigest.com/C...uor-stores-to-switch-to-takeout/-3/5307/99478

Well, I don't have an opinion, I'm just pointing out what the liquor stores are citing as the reason they are closing. In the link you posted, I believe it is telling that the first EO (20-08) carved out and exception for liquor stores, but this one (20-18) does not.

The updated language says retailers that do not sell products considered a “necessity of life” can stay open, but only for online or call-in orders for delivery or curbside pickup. That applies to places like craft stores, bookstores or florists.
    It also applies to liquor stores.

The new order does not carve out an exemption specifically related to alcoholic beverage sales like the initial executive order did.

Also, any retailer can stay open for online and curbside sales provided they properly sanitize and distance.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I believe they can stay open. Some may decide to close but I doubt many will. May have to offer curb side service instead but I dont believe they HAVE to close

https://indianaeconomicdigest.com/C...uor-stores-to-switch-to-takeout/-3/5307/99478
    Store told me they were told they have to convert to curb service or close.

NOW the question is, are the people you saw smart enough to know and follow the correct process?

Well as people were driving north, from rural nowhere, I'm guessing they left their homes with masks/gloves on, will touch all sorts of things, then wear them into their homes where they will likely leave them on the kitchen counter.

But that is just my guess.

Then again some of the people I know took their entire families shopping to WalMart to buy a TV set for their elderly/sick mother on Sunday. Sooo....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :facepalm:

That answers that question.

YUP ... almost a month ago they wanted to buy some ammo for a shotgun. My family had already been on a self imposed lockdown for a couple weeks when they called to ask about the ammo. They offered to all drive over, pick up the ammo and spend the day with us. Uhhh. NO!

They were surprised when I said I'd meet the husband in a parking lot and let him take the ammo out of my trunk.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Dogs are weird and gross.

Chef Larry: Yes sir, no Kung Flu for me thus far. We haven't heard any news from the sick guy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom