• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes...people feel colder when it is windy, especially if they are naked. However, how it actually feels to any individual is wholly dependent on what the person is wearing and how they react to cold.

It is no more useful to a person than saying: the temperature is X and it's windy, dress accordingly.

It allows the media to headline a lower number than the actual temperature. It's the broadcast equivalent to clickbait.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was a stupid 17 year old grunt when I learned to dress in layers for the cold, protect exposed skin from the wind and ventilate when I entered a heated area.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    In other news, FedEx is stupid. I had a package that was for delivery today. It arrived in Hammond this morning and then for whatever reason, middaybb they sent it to "Burbank, IL" casing a delay until tomorrow for delivery.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    In other news, FedEx is stupid. I had a package that was for delivery today. It arrived in Hammond this morning and then for whatever reason, middaybb they sent it to "Burbank, IL" casing a delay until tomorrow for delivery.

I've had that happen before, but it was in IL, then shipped to Louisville, then up to Munster.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I once ordered some yarn on Dec 10 to crochet a last minute Christmas gift. It originated in Indianapolis and took 16 days to get to Crown Point. I believe it took a trip through Arkansas. Don't remember if it was UPS or USPS.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Probably USPS. I can't say I've ever had a terrible experience with UPS whereas the postal service seems to be on a never ending quest to beat it's own record of **** ups. They're also inconsistent. I once ordered something from Brisbane that made it here in 5 days, not expedited . 2 days from Australia to CA, 1 day in customs, and two days in USPS' hands and it was in my mailbox. On the other hand, I once had something come from Ohio that took over a week.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I hear so many stories with shipping. I have been very fortunate. Everything arrives as expected or quicker. Ordering 90% of my online orders using Amazon prime helps a lot though. I hate to like them, but I do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, how you dress is important.
    You want to trap dead air space, to make mass flow rate close to zero.
    You want a material that does not conduct well, to make the heat transfer coefficient close to zero.

But if you dress for the weather, and do it well, then go stand outside, the wind will affect your ability to maintain temperature.
    Or, if you are able to maintain that temperature, to affect the amount of burned calories to maintain that temperature.
    Or, if unable to maintain temperature long enough, how long it takes you to die.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Speaking of dressing for the weather, drives me nuts when I see people getting in a car in the winter in sneakers, shorts, t-shirt, no coat.
    I'm just going to the store....

What if your car breaks?
    You don't have to have stuff on. But it should at least be in the car.

Went to help push someone back on the road.
    In my opinion, one person stays behind the wheel, usually the woman because I'm sexists. The rest get out and help.
    In this case, everyone was "dressed for church", so nobody would help.
    So.. I walked away.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Speaking of dressing for the weather, drives me nuts when I see people getting in a car in the winter in sneakers, shorts, t-shirt, no coat.
    I'm just going to the store....

What if your car breaks?
    You don't have to have stuff on. But it should at least be in the car.

Went to help push someone back on the road.
    In my opinion, one person stays behind the wheel, usually the woman because I'm sexists. The rest get out and help.
    In this case, everyone was "dressed for church", so nobody would help.
    So.. I walked away.

I was going to say. I can tolerate the cold very well. Rarely wear more than a hoodie and a hat. That being said not having the proper attire in your vehicle is antifa level stupidity. In fact you should have more than just a coat and proper boots. A blanket, heat source (hand warmers for me) gloves, and thats just the bare minimum in my mind. I have more, but i understand not everyone is of the same mindset as me.

Also good on you for walking away, I learned in church that God helps those who help themselves. They must've missed that service.:xmad:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I appreciate your take on this even though you worked on a climate controlled sub and in a steel mill.

As someone that worked with the Infantry for 8 years and outside building homes for 35 years your suggestions are spot on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I appreciate your take on this even though you worked on a climate controlled sub and in a steel mill.

As someone that worked with the Infantry for 8 years and outside building homes for 35 years your suggestions are spot on.

At that steel mill, I spent 6.5 years working in the coke plant. About 5 square miles. Most instrumentation was outside.
    Things that had problems in the winter.
    My first year there, they called me in for a double shift. I was confused, being they never gave the junior guy overtime.
    It was because the old guys knew what was coming.
    I spent almost the entire 16 hours outside. Bled out the nose, which froze in my facemask. Which, at least stopped the bleeding fast.
    But was difficult to take care of at the end of the shift.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You have learned well padwan.

I did not mean to disparage you at all. As I said your Info is very good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom